The OverClocked Plaid Muffins - Kirby Super Star - Ska Buffet - ACCEPTED!

Level 99

Updated the original post with the tentative roster and assorted info, thanks for all the info people.

Swann, just you on trumpet please. As much as I'd love a full grand big band section, this mix would do better with having a max of two of the same instrument. Also will reduce the amount of people who will have to get their parts in, but as long as you're down, you're in.

DeathBySpoon, just get me what you feel grooves right and we'll talk from there.

Cyril got me rough vocals which I will be checking later tonight and, should they suffice, will be sent to PR to assist in the brass writing.

For brass people, don't hesitate to contact me about recording questions. If your mic isn't working as well as you'd hoped, hopefully a workaround and fix can be done. :-o

and for names, how about "The OverClocked Plaid Muffins"?

just64helpin flatters me too much, but then again, I did thank him in my thanksgiving OH-Crap-song.

PR's getting stuff underway, until people heavily object, this musical group is called "The OverClocked Plaid Muffins" since cyril gave his +1 to the name idea. I can't wait to see what kind of crazy video might be youtubed to this song once it's done...OH GOD THE MENTAL IMAGES ARE HORRIBLE.

Alright, I've figured out the gist of what I want to do with the bass. My fingers are jello from rock climbing today, so I'll probably won't actually sit down and record this until sometime tomorrow. Is there a way I could get a midi of the drum track to play along with so everything is in time, or at least the BPM of the real track? Thanks!

Alright, I've figured out the gist of what I want to do with the bass. My fingers are jello from rock climbing today, so I'll probably won't actually sit down and record this until sometime tomorrow. Is there a way I could get a midi of the drum track to play along with so everything is in time, or at least the BPM of the real track? Thanks!

Wait a little bit on it, PR said he might be extending some sections and I wanna talk with him about it tomorrow then. I'd rather not have you have to record twice. So sit tight for a little while, buddy.

• 2 weeks later...

Haha thanks Yggdrasilly, but right now our roster is pretty full. Maybe next time around or if someone drops out, ya?

Anyways, I got more info from PR the other day. I'm still digesting it all and trying to restructure the song accordingly. Basically, he wants it longer. I definitely agree it's just a bit difficult extending it beyond the original writing because I don't want it to feel like it's overstaying it's welcome. The instruments do need more of a chance to shine, though, I'll give it that.

Keep you all posted and sorry for the delay. :nicework:

Dude, we haven't even distributed the sheet music for the brass people to PLAY yet, let alone have stuff for YOUR RHODE ISLAND ASS!

Glad to hear you're getting all nice and cozy in your new digs though, bro. And thanks again for offering to "piece this one together", as you put it. Now go make me a milkshake. Vanilla, no ice cream lumps, please. Frappe'-speed in the blender.

And for goodness sake, put some pants on, Shaun!

Again, thanks to the brass section, DBS, and cyril for being patient.

Dude, we haven't even distributed the sheet music for the brass people to PLAY yet, let alone have stuff for YOUR RHODE ISLAND ASS!

Glad to hear you're getting all nice and cozy in your new digs though, bro. And thanks again for offering to "piece this one together", as you put it. Now go make me a milkshake. Vanilla, no ice cream lumps, please. Frappe'-speed in the blender.

And for goodness sake, put some pants on, Shaun!

Again, thanks to the brass section, DBS, and cyril for being patient.

WTF I always wear at least 2 pairs of pants to make sure I never run out! :nicework:

Yeah, this is still being worked on, everyone. Slowly making the changes that PR recommended. The long-and-short of it is as follows (as per the last I talked to him):

-intro to be a bit longer; maybe :40 to a minute in length, encapsulating a few short solos, a main hit of the easily recognizable kirby theme, and a wind-down to the intro of the vocals.

-The vocals would be mostly unaccompanied during the first and second verse and go straight through to the main chorus kirby theme - pretty much exactly how it is right now up through 1:15. ("french fries")

-After that, a much longer solo break (still debating which instrument) eventually leading to a breakdown where the drums would drop out and the winds would keep going. something to break the "sameness." Then there would be a lead back in to the vocals at 1:40, returning much to the same style as the first and second verses.

-Leads back into the chorus recap (2:02), with additional harmony parts in the winds. Immediately after that and the drop out (2:27) (I love this part, btw) the winds would come back in full force, probably with a trumpet solo over the words - leading to an outro which could either wind down slowly or have a few massive chords and a lot of jamming on the final note. You know, the typical jazz "this-is-it" chord.

PS: The vocals need harmony. Will probably request the brass players to do this to capture the authentic "ska" feel.

So there you have it, folks. Where we stand. These changes will take a bit of time and focus for me to precisely do, plus the plate's a little full (no pun intended) and with MAG coming up I have focuses elsewhere. Stay tuned, ska-cats!

So i found out that since I'm getting a good microphone, I also need an interface to plug it into my computer (I was not aware because my previous microphone just had a 1/4" jack which was easily fixed by a 1/4" to 1/8").

I do not know how this will affect things but I'm trying to make it so it does not, so I will keep thine posted Stevo!

• 4 weeks later...