Chrono Trigger - Frog Dance - Revisited

Vyper

Hi all...

A while back I posted a track called "Frog Dance," a remix of Frog's theme from Chrono Trigger. Well, I worked on it quite a bit and made a new version that I'd like you to check out. It's the most complicated work I've ever put together and has probably taken more time than any two other tracks combined. I see it as my baby, so please RIP IT APART. Don't hold back on your criticisms. I understand that this will only serve make it better. Thank you. :)

The mix can be streamed here: https://www.opendrive.com/files?5794543_m6wqz

Thanks again for the feedback!

I'm guessing the last one didn't do so hot on the panel, eh? I didn't see it on there the last bout, so did I just miss it or did it even get on? I was sure it was at least re-sub category, last time. Onto the music...

No sword sound effect?! NOOO!! That was my favorite part... I'm guessing the J's said take it out. I know, what they say is law, if you're looking to get on here, but still... :(

I've noticed that you've made the style more homogenious than last time. Making the sound more similar than before is a step in the right direction, but I think you went overboard on that. Now I can't tell where I am in the structure of the music. Add some different textures and such to vary the sound a little bit more.

The main lead you use sounds a bit like a square wave playing a kazoo... I'm not really feeling that too much for this song. It doesn't help that it's in the song so often.

No key changes this time? I'd consider putting them back in there, since that gave the song a bit more variety and helped keep the interest high (for me, at least).

I liked the song before, and I like it now. I think it was more interesting before, though - do you suppose there's any way to include the variety from the last version you posted and keep the stylized sound you've added? If you could do that you'd have a winner, here.

And get the sword sound back in here.

*SHW-ANG!*

Thanks for the response and suggestions, Gario.

I've altered the drums to give a more separate feel among the sections and also changed the lead. Both of these have given the track a less intense feel, but maybe that's a good thing. I've also thrown in the sword effect and key change--I had been intending to that but hadn't gotten around to it yet.

So here's the latest version. I'd like to know what you think, especially about the drums. And if anyone else has anything to say I'd love to hear it. :)

https://www.opendrive.com/files?5831470_9v2NK

I liked it. It was fun.

Crits.

Your kick... harder, bigger, more in my face... you could do this through in mix compression / limiting, post mix mastering, or square saturate your kick so it has more of a "way to distorted" sound.

If you go in mix make sure to then mix around the kick; kick fader at 0.0dB, everything mixes under that. Post mix mastering; I've found that I can get a softer kick to sound really hard and in your face post mix down if the kick is left as is now but everything is turn down about -10dB (this is relative, listen to your mix and turn down accordingly). Square saturating... hmm... ever heard the Hardcore DJ Venom Tetris mix from ~1999... the way that kick sounds... more like that.

Anyone of those might make your kick more "in my face."

Ideas for drums:

Stuttering: chopping a drum loop/sample into rolling 16th's, 32nd's, even 64th's

Reversing: take the last 2 beat of a measure and reverse a few of the drum layers... maybe even a 4 count.

I had some ideas for the sword FX (if you wanted);

Just wondering if you've thought of using it (Sword FX) under a bunch of FX (Reverbs, Filters, Delays, etc.) and turning it into a rhythm tool. It might be tricky to nail but if done right could be awesome and "inventive."

Like I said this was fun, and I'm a fan of the lead as is, if not a little more wet with FX's.

I certainly cannot forget this remix - and what a fresh vibe it has taken on.

Listening to your latest mix it definitely sounds much more 'arranged', easier to listen to and just a pleasure to take in. The drum drop-out at 0:27 is one change which brings the focus back onto the original arrangement of this piece - it does wonders for setting the mood.

The sword effect is without a doubt a welcome return, mastering has definitely made its inclusion more cohesive to the foreground music. On the whole - this is now sounding to be headed in the intended direction.

Great to see this return new and improved - looking forward to seeing how this piece develops before the balance is right!

• 1 month later...

It's been a while. Thanks for the feedback Orpheon and rig - I've taken all of it into account. And here we have the latest version. I've mostly changed the drums, tinkered with the lead a little more, and added a filter to the break, along with minor adjustments.

Check it out here: https://www.opendrive.com/files?5963189_PC7r9

Any and all feedback is appreciated. :) One thing I'm worried about: are the crash and high-end frequencies too loud? Or is that just my imagination? And also, should it be faster? I feel like it should be faster, but I'm not sure.

Thanks!

Velly