OCR01940 - Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening "Waking the Fish"

djpretzel

When this started, I would have NEVER guessed this was Ballad of the Wind Fish. The style change could have gone horribly wrong, but Willrock makes it work, and work well.

To be honest, I'm not sure if I like the piano/strings combination when it is used for the first half of the mix. However, I think it sounds fine in the second half, especially the B section of the source. I will have to listen to it a bit more, but I think having the piano/strings/synth combo at the beginning just isn't sitting quite right with me.

Soloing is fantastic, though. What's really good about is is that it knows when to take forefront, and also when to support the source melody. That is a subtle touch that Willrock has down, nice work on that.

Get this, listen to it, it is great work.

Mm, those synths were nearly as tasty as the mycroprotein-based turkey-flavored substance I wolfed down so heartily on Thursday.

I have to say, so far I haven't really connected with any of the other Ballad-based ReMixes submitted to this site so far (which I feel to be a travesty on my part, Zelda fan that I am), but this one is quite nice, and I tend to enjoy Willrock's stuff immensely, so...win!

really nice stuff, I especially enjoy all of the pitch bends in the synths, that's a great controlled sound, but it gives things a bit more spontaneity. Sounds chosen overall I thought were very good and well suited, and DragonAvenger is wrongwrongwrong about the piano and strings at the beginning. :P

Nice work, mate, really nice stuff.

The original writing didn't sit well with me the first few times I heard it, but I've been able to step back a bit and appreciate the song on a new level now. The soloing is really tastefully done, most of my favorite parts were actually mixed pretty far back so that they were more support pieces instead of actual attention-grabbers. Great job on pitch-bending too, that sounds awesome!

I, too, have a bit of an issue with the piano/string sound, but it does capture the dreamy feel of the original and is still good enough to fit with the rest of the song.

At the end of the day, this is your typical Willrock song, it's hard to go wrong with it if you like strong lead synths and a good groove. This one isn't my personal favorite from him but I can definitely see why it's gotten such a good reception.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01940 - Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening "Waking the Fish"