Have you ever cried at a video game?

Jaybell

Also you're not a man if you didn't cry during the ending of Crisis Core.

God I love that game. Too bad my PSP is dead.

Spoilers blah blah blah

I didn't think much of the game when I read about it, since it was "just Zack's story". We picked it up nonetheless and it sat off to the side until I finally sat down and decided to give it a whirl. Sadly, I can honestly say that I find it the best storyline SE has written (even if it's just an offshoot of another) since FFIX, and definitely since the fail that was FFXIII.

The whole game's a rollercoaster emotionally, because you KNOW how it's going to end. It's like a train wreck in that you know what's going to happen but can't stop yourself from looking in some morbid sense of curiosity. The game has so many emotional scenes that it's hard to go through them all, but two REALLY big one stick out.

The less obvious one is where Zack has to kill Angeal and the scenes thereafter that show him processing his grief. THIS is what storytelling is about and whoever wrote this scene should have been in charge of the entire FFXIII script. It's an almost perfect depiction of denial, anger, and sorrow as he processes Angeal's death and finally breaking down in the church with Aeris comforting him; it's probably the first SE video game where the guy crying sounds fucking real and not phoney.

The other is the final battle with Zack against the Shinra army. You know he's going to die, he's forgetting everything and everyone as the wheel fucks up and the memories fly by and Price of Freedom plays. His fall and final talk with Cloud, ending with him dying and asking innocently "....do you think I managed to become a hero?" was just incredible.

If Square-Enix were able to make every game as enjoyable to play and experience as this one, then perhaps XI-III wouldn't have been so terrible for me.

Crisis Core didn't make a me cry...it made play FFVII for the first time in 12 years. :nicework:

The thing I enjoyed most about the game was how Zack's character progressed and changed throughout the game. The beginning kinda put me off with how he was so uber happy to go and kill a bunch of other people and thought it was his big chance to make something of himself. He seemed like a kid in a candy store in Wutai.

• 4 weeks later...

Far too many, though it likely has something to do with being a girl. Just maybe.

But let's do this, shall we? I'll just name the major ones.

TLoZ: Majora's Mask: Darmani and Mikau's deaths. The Anju/Kafei sidequest resolution.

The Wind Waker: Komali looking for Medli, and, of course, the ending.

Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean: Anything with Lyude and {Spoiler} The fight against Kalas and ensuing chaos. {/spoiler}

Klonoa: Door to Phantomile: The ending. Bucketloads.

Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil: The mirror scene in the Maze of Memories (for personal reasons that I didn't realize at the time but understand in hindsight) and the ending.

Shadow of the Colossus: I cried when Agro 'died,' stopped for a while during the last Colossus battle, then picked it right up again all through the ending, though they did change to happy tears when Agro came back.

Super Paper Mario: The ending. Still gets me.

Super Mario Galaxy: Rosalina's backstory.

Of all things Yoshi's Story. The ending music got to me. Those little off-key Yoshi voices...yeah.

Bit of an odd line-up, I suppose. I'm sure there's some I'm forgetting, since I've played a lot of games in my life. There are also a lot that I'm seeing submitted like the Final Fantasies, but sad to say the only FF I have played is FFIII DS.

There are a few other things where I've teared up a bit, like Cave Story or Chrono Cross, but I was literally crying my eyes out with those on the list.

Also the Link's Awakening Manga.

Does Homestuck of MSPA count?

I tend to tear up a bit in all endings, but I don't think that counts.

Klonoa: Door to Phantomile: The ending. Bucketloads.

Yoshi's Story. The ending music got to me. Those little off-key Yoshi voices...yeah.

Oh, Klonoa...totally forgot about that. Oh, yeah - that was deadly saddening. Never played the second one, though.

Speaking of Yoshi's Story, the implication at the end of Super Mario World 2 is pretty sad - the Yoshis basically have to leave orphan Mario and Luigi. (highlight over if you want to see it - it's in white).

Another scene that got to me was in EarthBound. My father had died a few years prior to me first playing it, so the scene with Jeff and Dr. Andonuts, and especially when he says, "well, I guess I'll see you in another decade or so" got me bawling. I realize that one's a bit unique, though.

Oh, Klonoa...totally forgot about that. Oh, yeah - that was deadly saddening. Never played the second one, though.

The second game has an excellent plot and doesn't rely on the diabolus ex machina the first one did to make its emotional punch. The final boss is, in the end, just a lonely child.

Nothing's really made me cry recently. Maybe Tales of Graces or Trauma Team will change that.

Star Fox Adventures. When I discovered the Arwing parts were limited. And again when I realized how epic the game actually was.

Despite it being my favorite game of all time, I never cried in this game. I was grinning the whole time because I was having so much fun! I'd never played a Star Fox game before, so lacking Arwing parts didn't bother me at all.

But yeah, I second that!

Not so much as cried in sadness but in rage and simply not preparing myself when I finally finished all of MGS: Peacewalker.

God damn you Kojima, I fucking saw it a mile away but still god damn you!

Almost yelled as hard as Snake did in the game's cutscenes when I fully realized what was happening at that specific point when it came up.

Great game but fucking hell that part...

AHH!! the nr.1: Shadow hearts 2.. the revival attempt of Alice. holy crap, best emotional scene I've ever seen.

100% agree! The game itself was one of the last rpgs that pulled me in emotionally.

Lost Odyssey had some depressing stuff, (SPOILER.....i guess) That whole scene where he meets his daughter and the following parts after. WTF

I don't think I've ever actually cried, but I have gotten to the point where my eyes were slightly damp and I was fighting to hold back.

For instance, one moment was in Tales of Symphonia. I played through intending to get Kratos instead of Zelos at the end. The tower of salvation scene with Zelos was much more powerful than if you went through normally.

And the closest I've ever come was when I beat Harvest Moon: A wonderful Life. The ending to that... just... wow. If I hadn't played through it, I'm not sure it would have had as much of an impact as it did, but because I did, I felt pretty attached.

There are others, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

I've excreted a few man-tears at a couple of games. Both Mother 2 and 3 have incredibly emotional endings and they know it. They have mastered the art of tugging on the player's heartstrings. :puppyeyes:

End of Okami, beautiful game and beautiful ending. It's a real shame that the wii version doesn't have the credits as I find it's a good time to reflect on your "journey" through the game. Lame, I know. :<

And of course there is Leisure Suit Larry when he finally gets the boobies. You'll want tissues on standby for that one. Uh... For your eyes I mean.... ABORT JOKE.