New audioMIDI.com "No Brainer" deals

Harmony

Nomad Factory's Blue Tubes Analog TrackBox channel strip. $15 (reg $189)

XILS lab's 3LE synth. $20 (reg. $200)

I downloaded the demo of TrackBox but I've had problems getting it to work in 64 bit. I was finally able to get the authentication software working using updated drivers from iLok, but SONAR x64 still won't properly scan and recognize the plugin. In SONAR x86 it works great. Gives my vocals a lot of warmth, and the EQ section is audibly smoother sounding (for lack of a better description) than the Sonitus EQ I normally use. So, I'll probably still buy it even if it only works in 32 bit. Still, I'd be interested to know if anyone gets it working on their 64 bit setup.

Not that this isn't a great deal, especially for non-Sonar PE users, but what does the Trackbox offer that the VC-64 doesn't? The VC-64 even gives a graphical representation of the parametric EQ and the Trackbox doesn't. A small thing but... I like it.

If you think there's a dramatic difference in quality and functionality, I'll take your word for it cause it'd be an amazing deal!

Not that this isn't a great deal, especially for non-Sonar PE users, but what does the Trackbox offer that the VC-64 doesn't? The VC-64 even gives a graphical representation of the parametric EQ and the Trackbox doesn't. A small thing but... I like it.

If you think there's a dramatic difference in quality and functionality, I'll take your word for it cause it'd be an amazing deal!

I'm an SE user, so I don't have the VC-64, but I wouldn't expect there to be a big difference.

However, it all depends on your priorities. Having this in your toolbox gives you yet another choice for dynamics and excitation...something to add a different flavor, give you some inspiration. I highly value having options when it comes to my FX. You might not care as much. Same thing with the graphical EQ. Some people might not care. I definitely agree with you that the visual rep is a nice feature, and I think having one would dramatically change the way I worked with the effect. But I do like the TrackBox's EQ sound, especially on my vocals, and so I may start using it to roll off highs and lows, while I might go back to the Sonitus for precision edits. I dunno, but it's fun to experiment :)

Already bought XILS 3LE this morning, been waiting since I caught wind of the next no-brainer deal last week. I will say that getting their updates lately has been pretty nice cause of the nice arrangements they work out to get cool stuff this cheap. After my satisfaction with the Ultra Analog, I couldn't pass another up. Will post my reactions once I install it. :nicework:

I'm an SE user, so I don't have the VC-64, but I wouldn't expect there to be a big difference.

However, it all depends on your priorities. Having this in your toolbox gives you yet another choice for dynamics and excitation...something to add a different flavor, give you some inspiration. I highly value having options when it comes to my FX. You might not care as much. Same thing with the graphical EQ. Some people might not care. I definitely agree with you that the visual rep is a nice feature, and I think having one would dramatically change the way I worked with the effect. But I do like the TrackBox's EQ sound, especially on my vocals, and so I may start using it to roll off highs and lows, while I might go back to the Sonitus for precision edits. I dunno, but it's fun to experiment :)

Ah ha. I foolishly assumed you a PE user with the wonderful music you come out with. An even bigger testament to your skill, no doubt!

With the Trackbox being comparable to the VC-64 (Cakewalk's Vintage Channel Strip powered by Kjaerhus Audio), don't pass this deal up people!

I dont know what use i'd have for such things, but im gonna get it anyway. ya never know what'll come in handy. Even for a metal head like myself.

EDIT: Just bought both of them. Waiting for one to ship and I downloaded the track box.

I'm a little confused on what the trackbox does exactly. I see TUBE, GATE, COMPRESSOR, and EQUILIZER and the corresponding knobs (release, thresh., etc.) I take it that this is something that goes on the master track? or am i missing the idea?

I'm a little confused on what the trackbox does exactly. I see TUBE, GATE, COMPRESSOR, and EQUILIZER and the corresponding knobs (release, thresh., etc.) I take it that this is something that goes on the master track? or am i missing the idea?
I'm a little confused at what you're confused about :)

As you said, it's a gate/expander, compressor, equalizer and a tube emulator (aka saturator or harmonic exciter). Use them where you want them. The first three are standard audio functions. If you've never run across the 4th one before, a tube emulator attempts to reproduce the sound you'd get by running the audio through an analog circuit containing vacuum tubes. These circuits have characteristic ways of altering the frequency spectrum of the audio that is usually thought to give a warmer/fatter/richer sound. I use them on drums to help them cut through the mix, and I use them on vocals as a more musical way of increasing the higher harmonic frequencies without using EQ (which boosts all frequencies in a selected range). Again, it helps me get my vocals to cut through a mix.

This particular plugin is called a channel strip because on a traditional analog mixing board, each channel (including buses) usually includes the first 3 functions, and may use some type of tube amplification. The fact that it's called a channel strip shouldn't restrict you in any way about where to use your plugin.

http://www.nomadfactory.com/products/bluetubes_v3/blue_analog_trackbox/index.html

• 2 weeks later...
They've done it again!

That's just so much of a loss. I'm beginning to think the software is really overpriced to make it seem like such a good deal. Could be wrong though.

Yes and no. Generally, most of it probably is overpriced, but the crappy marked has a little bit to do with it too. It used to be that $499+ was acceptable for lots of synths/soundware to sell for. As more and more were developed, prices dropped to be more competitive. For a while, $199 was generally the average price for most of this stuff. Then when the market went poop, $199 was still a little too much, and sales went way down. So to combat that, now we're seeing a lot more of these "WOW!" deals. Take Native Instruments for example. Komplete used to be like $999. Now it sells for about $500. Same thing with Logic. I believe Logic 7 was $1000, but then Logic Studio came out which included Logic 8, Main Stage, and Soundtrack Pro, for half the price.

So really, even if $100-200 is pretty fair and affordable, it doesn't mean squat if the product is not moving. I think audio-midi has figured it out and though they're not making nearly as much profit per single sale, the sheer quantity sold easily make up for that and then some, I'm sure.

It's a double-edged sword to a degree--making elite software affordable to EVERYONE can eventually lower the value of it to where it might not be considered really great software anymore. But at the same time, it's of course nice for us poor folks to have access to nice toys.

From an economics standpoint, I doubt AM makes *more* money from these $15 sales, but with any "no-brainer" or doorbuster deal you are drawing tons of new traffic to the site. Hopefully, those people will buy more, normally-priced stuff and increase overall sales significantly.

Yeah this is huge, it's all about obtaining customer loyalty. In any business doing things to obtain and maintain customer is the key to longevity.

From an economics standpoint, I doubt AM makes *more* money from these $15 sales, but with any "no-brainer" or doorbuster deal you are drawing tons of new traffic to the site. Hopefully, those people will buy more, normally-priced stuff and increase overall sales significantly.

I would absolutely say they make more money. Selling a thousand or more copies at $15 is better than selling a small handful of copies at $189.

I mean, you're right in the sense that they're *kind of* like the doorbuster deals you see on like Black Friday, but the difference is that they aren't running out of inventory since it's all digital. So while the idea is definitely to increase site traffic and expand their customer base, they have the means to draw a nice little bit of raw profit from sales like that.

It's kind of like when NI had that sale on Komplete 5 for $399. Think how quickly that sucker sold out at like EVERY retailer. Now imagine if they hadn't sold it for crazy cheap. They probably wouldn't have had 1/10th the amount of sales that they did. I suppose it's the whole low sales x high profet vs high sales x low profit thing. Seems like the latter is the way to go, these days. People LOVE to get a bargain. Heck, I didn't even need VA-1 when it went on sale, but I bought it anyway. That's $15 of profit that they were GUARANTEED to not get otherwise. But I couldn't resist the thought of saving $185. (BTW, Now it sells for like $89, so technically, I only saved $75) :P

It's kind of like when NI had that sale on Komplete 5 for $399. Think how quickly that sucker sold out at like EVERY retailer.

They came out recently with an upgrade offer for previous owners of early versions of Kontakt (which I am) to upgrade to Komplete 6 for $299. That closed the gap for me. While it was sold out at Sweetwater for a while, I just recently got my copy. UNBELIEVEABLE deal, as I only had Kontakt 2.

It's a double-edged sword to a degree--making elite software affordable to EVERYONE can eventually lower the value of it to where it might not be considered really great software anymore. But at the same time, it's of course nice for us poor folks to have access to nice toys.

It will always be a good day when I can just not eat fast food about three times (each meal at about $5 a piece) and buy a hella software piece with the money saved :)!!:)!!

I would absolutely say they make more money. Selling a thousand or more copies at $15 is better than selling a small handful of copies at $189.

I know what you're saying, but we have no way of knowing the real numbers. They might have solid 400 copies at $15, but 100 copies at $189. Just sayin'. If the "equilibrium price" (price that would generate the most sales at the highest price) was really only about $15 then it would seem like most plugin-makers are way off with their initial pricing :P

So do you guys think BlueVerb is worth it?

I guess regardless if it's overpriced or not, even if it was a plug-in worth $100, I'd still get it. I mean it's only $15, and like me and Harmony talked about, it's another tool. If it's not your main workhorse as far as reverb goes, at least it's an inexpensive tool of variety.

I'll be a guinea pig. I'll get it and use it on an orchestral piece I'm working on and see if it's worth it.

EDIT: Sound on Sound review of it. I'm thinking this probably wouldn't be great for orchestra stuff.

I saw that this morning that it was intended to recreate the "vintage 80's" reverbs so you're right, it wouldn't be good on an orchestral piece. I have a minute or so of an electronic piece I'm working on so I'll apply it to that.

They already sold those handfuls (probably more) of copies; now they've got the chance to squeeze some extra life out of older plugins that have matured in terms of development.

Not to say A|A|S Ultra-Analog isn't lovely :-)