"Eco-Case" DVD/Game Cases

XZero

In the last several months, in buying new DVDs, I'm noticing that a lot of them are packaged in these flimsy pieces of shit called "eco-cases." Allegedly, these things are better for the environment. I completely believe that from a conceptual perspective, but from a consumer perspective, I find these things to be complete garbage. I'm paying the same for a product, but I physically get less than I should, and the prices of new DVDs aren't getting any cheaper. Recently, XBox360 games have been coming in the same types of cases, and apparently Nintendo just authorized their use for Wii games.

Anyone care to share their thoughts on the eco case?

Fuck these fucking fuck fuck fuck cases. They are horrible. I ship and receive games all the time, numbering in 10 to 20 a week sometimes. These new cases do not handle transportation very well at all. In fact, I bought the MW2 360 bundle that come with MW2. The case was shattered all to hell inside the big xbox box. How the hell that happened is beyond me, but I have received 2 games now that have had shattered sections as well, as well as a few members of goozex with the same issue with 360 and blu ray cases. All this is gonna do is cause problems with any kind of mail order gaming.

Fuck these fucking fuck fuck fuck cases. They are horrible. I ship and receive games all the time, numbering in 10 to 20 a week sometimes. These new cases do not handle transportation very well at all. In fact, I bought the MW2 360 bundle that come with MW2. The case was shattered all to hell inside the big xbox box. How the hell that happened is beyond me, but I have received 2 games now that have had shattered sections as well, as well as a few members of goozex with the same issue with 360 and blu ray cases. All this is gonna do is cause problems with any kind of mail order gaming.

I know its a pain.. but I put a small section of bubble wrap in the cases when I ship them.. that way the disc stays where its intended to, and it seams to prevent the case from cracking.. especially on top..

I do kinda miss the old cases, but I haven't had any real problems worth complaining about yet. I guess as long as it puts a reasonable dent in their "eco-hazardous" levels, I can live.

well if you're like me and get replacement cases for the ones that break, it's hardly eco-friendly no matter how you look at it

Why not just go all the way and use those paper CD sleeves?

If I get any of these so called "Eco-cases" in anything I've recently ordered and it looks like shit being broken, I'm just going to remove the box/paper art, booklet ect, chuck the thing into the recycling bin across the street all the while keeping the game in a specialized attache case I have meant to hold discs.

And no I can't confuse it with my work attache disc case as it's in a different color :P

Yeah, these cases blow up like a balloon with dynamite in it. I remember getting Brutal Legend and it had a case like that, now every other game I get has that kind of case. Borderlands had a regular case but Dragon Age, MW2, L4D2, Assassins Creed 2... everything new has them. You can tell immediately if the case is like that by gently squeezing it -- you can pretty much feel everything in the case by doing that, and air coming out of it. Like a baby kicking. x_x

I stopped buying movies when they started printing them on LightScribe with empty cases. *I* could do that. I don't, but anyone can slap a burnt lightscribe into an empty DVD case.

The ultimate irony of the eco-case would be if everyone who got one took it out, replaced it with a real case, and threw it out. All of these ridiculous things would end up in a landfill, living there for years and years, thereby polluting the planet.

The ultimate irony of the eco-case would be if everyone who got one took it out, replaced it with a real case, and threw it out. All of these ridiculous things would end up in a landfill, living there for years and years, thereby polluting the planet.

Not sure about you but around here in Maryland they, discreetly as far as I can tell, enforce the need for recycling. Most facilities, apartment complexes, condominium complexes have two huge bins; one strictly for landfill and the other for recycling. I sometimes would even see one odd advert sign in the Montgomery County area buses where the old smoking/sex addiction signs would be a sign that explicitly state, "Does your business recycle? It's the Law" ect among other regular ads.

I can't speak for the other counties as I don't frequently visit them enough to know for sure.

Need to take pictures as I know I'm not crazy enough imagine them. :lol:

Not sure about you but around here in Maryland they, discreetly as far as I can tell, enforce the need for recycling. Most facilities, apartment complexes, condominium complexes have two huge bins; one strictly for landfill and the other for recycling. I sometimes would even see one odd advert sign in the Montgomery County area buses where the old smoking/sex addiction signs would be a sign that explicitly state, "Does your business recycle? It's the Law" ect among other regular ads.

I can't speak for the other counties as I don't frequently visit them enough to know for sure.

Need to take pictures as I know I'm not crazy enough imagine them. :lol:

I'm in Pennsylvania, and thus far, I haven't seen much enforcement (Harrisburg). I live in a house, and I'm not actually within the city beyond my mailing address, but people seem to leave the recycling/trash situation alone.

I think that those business recycling signs are different from private citizens. If you think about it from a practical perspective, are they really going to go through your trash?

I think that those business recycling signs are different from private citizens.

I should hope so. :lol:

Seriously though I suppose I've been living so long within the city it's something of the norm for me to see it enforced. :lol: Never really thought much about it till now.

Nonetheless though I will be disappoint if Sony really follows through and goes for the eco-cases, at least without demanding quality control on them.

I rather not buy a game or movie and suddenly find the disc all scratched up because of shitty packaging.

I haven't bought a game in a while (My parents need gift ideas and I enjoy having money), so I have yet to see these. Really, since I keep my games in the cases, I'd rather have what we have now. They'll be finding these cases next to my corpse in 30 years, if I have a say in the matter.

Or, you know, longer. Since I'd like to live a while past retirement age and catch up on my ridiculous backlog. And it'd be awesome if my cases were intact and such. So me tossing them in a dumpster shouldn't be an immediate concern. A way to effectively process these when I do kick off, though, I would support.