*NO* Phantasy Star 4 'Final Emprise'

djpretzel

• 2 weeks later...

A nice tune, catchy melody...all that jazz, but this piece lacks any kind of punch. I didn't hear my sub fire one time. The percussive samples are lo-fi as it is, but they don't catch any attention with their un-EQ'd, flat sound. And after the excruciatingly long intro, i don't feel I was rewarded enough with a strong, poignant chorus section to satisfy that buildup. It repeats a few times and goes back to a bland, lo-fi drumloop. The piano runs are very nice, but unfortunatly too little, too late. You've got interesting synth programming and percussive rhythms, just try to get them out a bit more.

Mixing is just as as important, if not more, as arrangement.

NO

-D

I don't really agree with the development comments. It does develop well for the electro-new age genre it's intending to be.

It reminds me of tangerine dream, vangelis and jarre, with more agressive synths. I personally would have liked softer sounding synths. More sines and synth flutes. I also would have liked a fuller snare here with some middle depth.

The mix works. YES

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Danny B for the most part. This piece really lacks intesity; the transition into the chorus at around 1:20 could have done with some more build up and climax; instead, it just sort of happened. Kind of annoying.

However, I believe that was probably the only part where the development was in question for me. Like GL said, it works for the genre. Also, can't ignore the really nice sounds and textures going on. Pretty neat.

It may not be way up there, but it's certainly above the bar. Enjoyable piece.

YES