Time for another tech question

Darklink42

Alright, so here's another one for you tech-savvy, internet-knowledgeable folk.

I have a 5th generation Ipod 30GB, which has performed very well up until recently. It seems that headphone jack technology has not gotten any better since the days of the Walkman, and the audio now only gets through to the left side. I know that it needs to be replaced, but here's the problem:

Apple wants $147 to do the job, with no guarantees that I won't get a different Ipod back.

I've seen some how-to videos on the web, but I don't really feel like I'd be up to the task of taking it apart myself, and the $400 price tag for a new one stings worse than the service charge if I screw it up somehow.

So my question is this? Does anyone know a reliable service, online or otherwise, that can do this for cheaper than what Apple wants to charge? Short of that, is anyone out there experienced in this kind of stuff, and will to do it for cheaper? Short again of that, has anyone here had this problem themselves and found an easy solution that doesn't break the bank?

Alright, so here's another one for you tech-savvy, internet-knowledgeable folk.

I have a 5th generation Ipod 30GB, which has performed very well up until recently. It seems that headphone jack technology has not gotten any better since the days of the Walkman, and the audio now only gets through to the left side. I know that it needs to be replaced, but here's the problem:

Apple wants $147 to do the job, with no guarantees that I won't get a different Ipod back.

I've seen some how-to videos on the web, but I don't really feel like I'd be up to the task of taking it apart myself, and the $400 price tag for a new one stings worse than the service charge if I screw it up somehow.

So my question is this? Does anyone know a reliable service, online or otherwise, that can do this for cheaper than what Apple wants to charge? Short of that, is anyone out there experienced in this kind of stuff, and will to do it for cheaper? Short again of that, has anyone here had this problem themselves and found an easy solution that doesn't break the bank?

I'm in the same boat. Exact same thing, 5th Generation 30GB iPod, headphone jack stopped outputting the right sound channel after two years of ownership.

I've been sitting on this problem for a while now actually, it's been in that state for like half a year, I just haven't gotten to fixing it. I just decided last week that I'd opt with the DIY solution since I finally got a PayPal account set up and can now order the parts I need online. I'll let you know how it goes if you don't find a resolution by then.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

I'm not entirely sure you will be able to find a service that is significantly cheaper then Apple and also reliable and it might be a better use of your money to replace the ipod with something new and use the old one as an external drive.

Is this specific iPod very important to you? I'm curious why you require this condition.

Repopulation is a bitch. I know i have stuff on my ipod that i either couldn't find again, don't have access to, or have since deleted.

beware Apple's asshollery though. I took my ipod in for service when the screen broke (the backlight was casting huge grey lines), and they claimed that i'd opened it, and voided the warranty. I had not opened it, SPECIFICALLY so that i wouldn't LOSE THE WARRANTY.

Pissed me off. Guy even liked my OCR collection, too.

Actually it is, it was a birthday gift from my Dad. Timberwolf is right too though, it's a huge hassle to take all the data off and then put it back on again later.

Isn't it just copy and paste? or do you not have a copy of your music on your comp? Do ipods really suck that much?

iPods are write only. If you don't have a copy of your iTunes library on your computer, you can't add or delete music to your iPod. You're supposed to have it on iTunes first.

I think programs exist that can pull tunes off of an ipod but I can't remember. Try googling.

you're talking about ephpod, which works absolutely fantastic (i've recovered 60gb of audio three times through it, never lost a byte). you'll be fine, man. just take the data off and buy a new 80gb classic, which is only $250 on a bad day.

edit: it's worth noting that they aren't write only, actually (at least, as of gen 4). all the files are on the ipod, in their original format, in a hidden folder that is easily accessible. they change the title of the files, but the ID3 tags are still mostly there, so you could theoretically just copy the data off of it.

Brad is right. When my external with all my music crapped out on me my only backup was my iPod. Pulled off all the songs and had iTunes "keep my music folder organized". It rewrote all the file names back to its standard format (eg. 01 Song Title in folder Artist > Album)