OCR01943 - Final Fantasy VI "Behind Enemy Lines"

djpretzel

The opening reminded me of something from the Star Fox Assault soundtrack, but from there it took a more relaxed pace. Once things start to pick up again I think this song really hits it gold :-) That section could literally transition right into "Full of Courage" and it would fit naturally, I think. I feel influences from a lot of your different mixes, actually, it almost feels like a conglomeration of your best work into one mix!

I know I said in your previous mix's review thread that I'm glad you've started branching out into new territory, but this one just proves that you've really got a firm grip on standard orchestral fare, too.

Honestly Martial Law is one of those tracks from FF6 that didn't *really* stand out to me. Sure it sets the mood but it was kind of meh compared to some of the greats of the OST. So my initial reaction to seeing Nutritious had done something from FF6 was yay! ...then faded to meh when I saw just what it was he covered.

But I gave it a listen and I have to say I'm glad I did. I love the tense atmosphere that the song sets right from the get go, and the mood it sets throughout the rest of the song. It has the softer moments, sure, but it's still not what I'd call a laid back song, however it doesn't sound like it's trying too hard, nor does it have too much going on. Yet it still manages to breath some life into what I felt was a ho hum original.

Samples and sound are all good. Nothing sounds overtly fake to me and the two sources are blended together flawlessly. I'd suggest definitely checking this one out.

Well, I can pretty much rephrase what everyone else has been saying. Nutritious has all those details down that really bring mixes to life. The style of this was augmented just right to really accentuate the originals, and the original writing fits in perfectly with the existing material. It's also great that these sources aren't often touched, so they get some time in the spotlight. The transitions are really great, it's a seamless movement from source to source.

I really like the attention payed to the background lines. The support they provide to the melody is what's catching my attention here. An example is the timpani line right at the end, they really accentuate the ending.

Do check this one out, you'll enjoy it.

It's almost hard to believe this is Nutritious' seventh mix for the year, but he's still going strong as evident by this track.

The strings really accentuate both the tense moods and soft sections, and the transition between the two sources was seamless and fluid. It's a shame these sources aren't covered more (Serpent Trench needs more love), but it's good to that they've been done proper justice here.

Another solid track from Nutritious, and definately worth a listen.

Nice ReMix. While I'm not a huge fan of "Under Martial Law" per-se, the epic feeling you gave it likens the track to its more cinematic counterpart, "The Gestahl Empire", which is one of my favorite tracks of the game. I get goosebumps every time I listen to it. I'd really like that track to be remixed more...you somewhat filled in that void for me even though you did not intend to.

Glad you're tackling relatively unremixed tracks of FFVI. Great transition to "The Trench" indeed.

Keep it up, man.

This really nice stuff, I hear a bit of Williams in here, along with maybe like some Goldsmith, and a touch of Medford. The switch between themes really did feel natural, and if it was a more obscure source, as opposed to FF6, I don't think many would even know there were 2 sources.

Nice stuff, and I had no idea he did 7 mixes this year, that be crazy.

I'm not sure if it's the mixing or what, or just that a lot of the instruments could use some stronger articulation. Like the strings are slow to attack, but it's not that...things in general seemed to muddle together. The percussion is also kinda thin.

I recognize this as being well arranged, but it left almost no impression on me. I dunno, it kind of passed right by. I don't know how to say it. I'm gonna listen to this again.

Ok, yeah. I think there's just not a lot of tension and release...something to grab me and get me interested. But it feels like there are good ideas here. Maybe it's a just the production? You know, it's probably just the style of interpretation Nutritious chose that isn't hitting me as much. That's just a personal taste thing, I suppose.

This is quite an interesting orchestral take, and seems longer than it actually is. I thought how the song started out was fairly odd, as it starts off boisterous, and then subdues as it goes through "Under Martial Law". The Serpent Trench bit has more of an attack than you might expect as well.

I think I would've preferred a little more development in each of the segments, but otherwise not bad.

FFVI has an astounding soundtrack, but Martial Law is one I always felt underwhelmed by. It just faded into the background next to all of the stronger tracks, I guess. This does an excellent job of bringing it into a more epic feel, and it merges with the Serpent Trench theme well. I've heard a lot of mixes hampered by weak brass sounds, but yours sound quite good. This one's on my playlist to stay. Excellent work.

This is a track, very varied, lots of dynamics. Overall a lot of stuff here to keep the interest level up. It's very traditional, sounds almost film-score.

There's not much low-end in this one, it seems a bit mid-range heavy, but still extremely expansive.

I love the increased pace at 1:05. Some of the instruments sound a bit weak (especially some of the high strings), but I don't really think that detracts from the mix.

1:55 gets a bit dull, production wise - not as bright as some of the other areas of the mix where it's more bombastic. The slower "Trench" part in my opinion is definitely weaker than the "Under Martial Law" parts, but that's just me. It helps illustrate the contrast in this track from the fast-paced portions and I think the resulting thrills coming back up at 3:05 is where I get most of the enjoyment from this track. Hearing it all build back up to that point was extremely satisfying.

This is awesome. You should also come back to compos and kick all of our butts again :)

I find this to be a pretty damn enjoyable and listenable song, with great texture and sound quality...

But outside of a few parts (like at 1:00), I have a hard time finding the original melody in all of this. Under Martial Law was a pretty simple track, so with this remix, a LOT has been added to it. An above poster was right; this makes it sound like a companion of sorts to the Gestahlian Empire, which is a track I think should also be remixed (because it's so good).

This is a really well-made song, but like I said, it can be pretty difficult finding the original placed within.

The prospect of listening to yet another orchestral remix of FFVI didn't sound very appealing to me, but I have to say that it turned out to be quite the positive surprise. The arrangement flows very well, the samples sound good (at least to me); the whole thing sounds like it's from a soundtrack to some epic WWII movie (or maybe a game like Valkyria Chronicles).

Nice work.

• 2 weeks later...
the whole thing sounds like it's from a soundtrack to some epic WWII movie (or maybe a game like Valkyria Chronicles).

O_O

Now that you mention it, I can't quite stop imagining it that way. That's really cool, thanks. :<

It does help put this track into some atmospheric/mood perspective to think of it that way. I've always liked this track and now I've found another reason. woo!

As for everything else, the orchestration is wonderful, grandiose, and fun to listen to, and this is simply a wonderful track.

• 2 years later...

Two words that I can think of to describe this ReMix would be "grand" and "epic". It really does sound like a war movie theme, especially with those drums and ascending strings. Such a great orchestration of the themes here. Awesome ending as well.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01943 - Final Fantasy VI "Behind Enemy Lines"