Musical goals for 2010?

K.B.

EQ is just balancing out the frequency levels in your different instruments - that's all it is. There's no magic to it. You have to be able to place all your instruments in their own frequency zones that don't occupy any other instruments' frequency zones. To blatantly steal Harmony's analogy, "Everything needs to have a slice of the frequency pie."

Also, production won't fix shitty sounding samples/instruments unless you know what you're doing, which can simply take time and practice.

I need to...Learn to remix right. Also, master the sweep arpeggio; I've only got half of it down :(

Share with me this "Sweep arpeggio".

My goals in no particular order :

1) Participate in PRC and actually remember that OHC is happening on thursday nights at 9 PM eastern. I often forget.

2) Make my own original electronic music album

3) Make looped Bass guitar music

4) Learn to play the guitar better so I can play some screaming leads and rhythmic chords

5) Learn to play keyboard better

6) Work on getting some Project remixes done.

7) Submit a few remixes with the hope of getting them added to this site.

To produce a techno unts unts unts album for injury.

Considering this was my goal for 2009 >.> let's do this. I'll buy you one of those turkey club sandwiches at the restaurant in the magfest hotel.

edit: also and a beer

As for personal goals, i'd like to stop dragging things out and record when people ask me to rather than 3 weeks later :) Of course any progress for me makes me happy. One of my 2009 goals was to have an OHC every Thursday, which we did except for Thanksgiving. I'd like to be on more projects, and learn more about the solo projects of artists here and in the greater remixing community.

I'd also love to do at least one awesome mashup.

GOALS. Ok.

1) To have a remix posted at OCR

2) To have the most votes at an OHC

3) Participate over at DoD at least once.

4) Vocal Lessons

5) attempt a collab

6) contribute to an album project of some sorts.

7)

...and keep my damn libraries classified.

Ok scratch 7. Good luck with that Vilecat. I give you till august before you end up here :banghead:

to get 1 more remix up on here.

thats right. 1 more.

That's right bitches, McVaffe aims for the stars.

Spoken like a true champion.

I salute you, McVaffe.

My musical goals are as the follows for next year (and before)

-refine my compositional technique

I have taken a bit of theory, on top of which I already have a 10+ year musical background... The theory didn't really do so much as to further a certain minimalistic style I have been developing (and i mean super-minimalist, on Fur Alina levels), but I'd love to be able to learn how to put this style into a larger context outside of the piano (which is about the only place such a style has been able to surface for me). I have a few ideas on how to do that, and in time, I hope I can find some fruition to my efforts.

-Find a good orchestral soundfont for free

unrealistic, I know. As of right now, I have squidfont, along with Fruity Loops. So when I do make orchestral pieces, it doesn't sound quite up to par with what i envision. Finding something that is a bit more expressive would be a big boon, and it would allow me to commence working on my more ambitious projects (which ties in to the first point nicely).

-Continue to promote and expose people to modern classical music

It didn't stop with Beethoven, guys. I have taken it upon myself to try to get people to realize the full amount of lush, strange, exotic, and sometimes scary or dissonant pieces of music that have been unleashed since the end of the 19th century. My sig contains one such example, but there is more: Steve Reich (wonderful!!!!!!), Arnold Schoenberg, Toru Takemitsu, Elliot Carter, Morton Feldman, even some works of John Cage... I wish more people knew about them and listened to them, because it seems to me that if music remains solely in the past, it remains in a rut and becomes obsolete. And I think that is encouraged if people never acknowledge the music-makers of their OWN time, their OWN era. A lot of it doesn't sound necessarily pleasant, but I find so much beautiful in its own haunting way. This has always been a great goal of mine, in a way, not that anyone really ever pays attention to music like that.

Oh, and having a remix posted on this site was a long-time dream of mine, so if that ever happened, that'd be pretty cool too.

For 2010, I hope to:

- Release this damn album already. You know its taken longer just to get all the shit together with it than it has to compose the damn thing? But soon, so blissfully soon it will be over and finished!

- Install and learn to use my EW Bundle.

- Finish the mixes I have for the projects I'm on. SD3, Wild Arms and Lufia. I have a mix to fix and maybe another one to do for SD3 while I need to fix up the other two I have (both are which in different states of flux).

- Got a gig to remix a track for an alternative band up in Baltimore. Prize is rather large audience promotion and maybe some money.

- Remix something for the Metroid orchestral project.

- Pick another project - Either look for some more video game work or another album of video game tracks (that would require reworking, which I hate).

- Get advice from Jeremy Soule and the Fatman. Get advice from my college counselor to see what I can do with this skill.

I think thats it right now. I WAY overdid myself this year and I really need to tone it down for the next (trying to do a book project too - that shit's almost impossible).

- To finish writing (and hopefully) record the song and lyrics I've been working on, which is based off of my novels.

- To finish a remix that's been sitting rather far along for several years... which I just rediscovered and liked what I heard last night.

- To get more remixes (and touched up older remixes) on my website.

- To create an album of finished original piano and orchestral music.

-Continue to promote and expose people to modern classical music

It didn't stop with Beethoven, guys. I have taken it upon myself to try to get people to realize the full amount of lush, strange, exotic, and sometimes scary or dissonant pieces of music that have been unleashed since the end of the 19th century. My sig contains one such example, but there is more: Steve Reich (wonderful!!!!!!), Arnold Schoenberg, Toru Takemitsu, Elliot Carter, Morton Feldman, even some works of John Cage... I wish more people knew about them and listened to them, because it seems to me that if music remains solely in the past, it remains in a rut and becomes obsolete. And I think that is encouraged if people never acknowledge the music-makers of their OWN time, their OWN era. A lot of it doesn't sound necessarily pleasant, but I find so much beautiful in its own haunting way. This has always been a great goal of mine, in a way, not that anyone really ever pays attention to music like that.

There have also been artists who have moved past these dudes. ;) (check an article by the name of the Aesthetics of Failure by Kim Cascone for some newer insights)

Most of the artists you mentioned are VERY eclectic and most people prob will not understand their music. Highly recommend Steve Reich's Electric Counterpoint as a minimalist piece that everyone can enjoy. Good way to expose people to this type of music without driving them off right away.

There have also been artists who have moved past these dudes. ;) (check an article by the name of the Aesthetics of Failure by Kim Cascone for some newer insights)

Most of the artists you mentioned are VERY eclectic and most people prob will not understand their music. Highly recommend Steve Reich's Electric Counterpoint as a minimalist piece that everyone can enjoy. Good way to expose people to this type of music without driving them off right away.

Steve Reich is pretty much accessible to most people, I'd think. His stuff is always just so mellow and pleasant, it's hard not to like.

I bought Music for 18 Musicians, and that's nothing but an hour-long song of shifting sonorous harmony, and i love it. Electric Counterpoint is also a great listen, along with (though I might be alone) his works, Music for a Large Ensemble and Octet.

He's easily in my favorite composers of all time list.

I'm reading the article right now, and i must say, I find it pretty interesting (music history is a subject of great interest to me), however, I tend to shy away from expression using digital media (the irony being that I use Fruity Loops), and while I see the artistry involved in a lot of such endeavors, I feel I follow a different path :<

And you're right, those guys I listed are pretty eclectic, but I guess I like that kinda stuff.

Sorry for the long post, I like to ramble about this stuff... :tomatoface: