OCR02756 - *YES* Lemmings 3D 'The Fog of War'

Palpable

Remixer: me!

Lemmings 3D has the best soundtrack no one ever heard, and it's the only game I've ever bought just for the soundtrack (though the game is not bad too). I even came up with names for the tracks - I'm dedicated, dammit! In my mind, some of the songs on it are perfect and unremixable; I remixed one of the ones that lends itself to embellishment. The original is desolate and sounds like a battlefield after the conflict is over, so I tried to go the opposite route, a heavier zircon/Crystal Method-inspired heat-of-battle style.

This is my first mix with sampled dialogue and it comes from the very good documentary The Fog of War, which is ripe with great quotes for stealing. The lines fit the war theme, and can you think of a game with more unnecessary death than Lemmings?

For da judges:

I tried to include bits of the source everywhere, so I think it's dominant. Here's the breakdown of the source:

0:00-0:01: Three-note keyboard riff gets used everywhere

0:01: Low three-note riff get used in the first verse and the end

0:02-0:03: Three-note chime gets used in the second verse and the end

0:03-0:05, 0:13-0:15: More keyboard riff, gets used in the intro, verses

0:09-0:10, 0:14-0:15: Bass used at the end of a lot of the basslines in the song

0:15-0:20: Soft pad used in intro after drums come in

0:20-0:30: Staccato keyboard used in pre-choruses and extrapolated higher

1:01-1:03: Descending string triplets used in choruses and extrapolated lower and backwards up the scale

1:02-1:03: Plucked strings riff used in second half of bridge

I think that's it! If you guys have got suggestions for production tweaks or ways to include more source, I'd love that.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Track 02

Yay, a sub with a breakdown! I wish more regular mixers would start doing this--really makes voting go much smoother and faster. Speaking of smooth, this mix is like chocolate butter. Love it. Clean and crisp with lots of slick shiny embellishments. Really liked the glitch/stutters, used sparingly for max effectiveness, IMO. Not sure how I felt about the trumpet at 3:45ish, I didn't dislike it, but I'm not sure it sounded particularly convincing to me. Small gripe considering this is a 98% electronic diddy anyway.

Throw this thing up on the front page with pride.

YES

• 3 weeks later...