OCR02011 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 'Awakening the Giant' *RESUB*

Palpable

Original decision: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24251

Remixer Name: MrMilkcarton

E-Mail: Nicktomassetti@hotmail.com

User ID: 28401

Legend of Zelda: Majoras Mask

Calling the Four Giants

(There are multiple variations of this song. I'm not sure if the video below is the exact one I used to make the song.)

Comments: Resubmission of the same song, added a few things and redid the EQ on most of the percussion. I didn't have any future plans of revisiting this song but I suppose seeing the (Resubmit) put a little hope into it. I extended the break to add a little flavor and introduce the harp movement of the song earlier. The original is mostly composed of chords so I consider the lead to be the harp portion. I tried to keep the song within a time restraint so I didn't do an all out trance progression with it. I know everyone isn't a fan of 8 minute songs so I cut it in half, though I could of extended the break to a much longer duration.

Trying to keep the peak interesting while not destroying the overall feel I added more sidechain (I have a fever and the cure is more sidechain). That being said I opened a hihat muted it and chained it to the lead adding some hits on the off beat. It gave it a nice pulsing sound and added some variation to it.

--------------------------------------------------------------

A little bit more energetic, but I still think this didn't full realize its potential. There was still some degree of clutter that could have been cleaned up, but the overall production was solid enough.

The dynamics were improved a little bit, but the arrangement from 2:08-3:46 was definitely groove biased in a way that was too repetitive and didn't set my world on fire.

But as part of an overall arrangement, I'd say the development of the piece was OK. I'm willing to say it's certainly competent. And it's interpretive and creative, so I'll say it ultimately squeaks by.

Good luck with the rest of the vote, Nick. No matter which way it goes, I hope we hear more from you!

YES (borderline)

I have a fever and the cure is more sidechain

So, revisiting this I hear some improvement. Production's generally improved, the highs are a bit less piercing and it's chugging along without any issues in the soundscape. Very solid. The arrangement is still quite repetitive but the overall package feels more cohesive now with the small improvements. When it all comes down to it I think the clean production, stellar groove and shorter length makes up for the shortcomings in the arrangement. I'm gonna side with Larry here, nice work and I'm looking forward to hear more from you!

YES(borderline)

I think the arrangement here is cool, and it fits with the mostly chorale treatment of the source, which is basically a chord progression, but excitement-wise there isn't much of a hook. The repetition fits the electro genre pretty well, though i wish the harp arpeggio was a little more prevalent, there's some sort of effect on it right now that washes it out a bit.

Production is alright but not outstanding, with a bit of clutter, but nothing that ruins this overall. I do think this one is close, but I'm willing to tip this one towards the positive. The repetition that bothers me is inherent in the source, and there is a good deal that makes the remix more interesting.

yes (borderline)

• 2 weeks later...