Sonic & Knuckles - Doomsday [wip]

elzfernomusic

http://sites.google.com/site/gamesdojo/Home/sk-doom

I keep working on this from time to time but always come away wondering whether to carry on, the heavy section from 2:03 is a little bit ropey and the lead is placeholder for the time being, and there's soem wierd reverb glitches at the beginning I need to clean up, but I'm not sure what I want to do with this from here. I was considering taking the source after this and messing with some time signatures, possibly switch to 5/4 and really mix up the rhythm of the piece while keeping within distance of the source...

• 1 year later...

Wow, can't believe I haven't posted in here since December 2009... crazy. I've taken another stab at this, I've got a feeling that it's a little too much of a cover as well as being one of the most overdone songs of all time, but I still kinda like it. Maybe the arrangement needs a little work, at the moment it is a little bland!

EDIT: Corrected the link. Apologies!

http://soundcloud.com/elzfernomusic/sk-doom-wip2

• 4 weeks later...

Nice. The guitar choice greatly adds to the depth of the song. It sounds like a record that was made in the late 1960's near the beginning, then flash-forward into modern day rock and roll.

My only concern (and I mean only) is that at 3:00 the song seemed to die on me. Granted, 5 seconds later the song had Life 3 casted on it and was revived instantly, but that section really irked me.

Oh, and you need two more extra notes at the end, or make a grand ending of your own. I'll leave it to you to fix that.

SUBMIT THIS!

That's a very creative arrangement! I'm in love for what you've done with the source at those first 2 minutes, it sounds beautiful and melancholic.

But, for a track that has nearly 2 minutes of calmness, the metal oriented part starting after that point sound out of context. The transition to it's also kind of awkward to me, as if the heavy sounding guitar randomly decided to invade the song. I'm not sure how you'd like to solve that issue, but quite frankly I'd take 1 whole minute from that long intro :P

Agreed with the 3:00 thing. The background guitar's WAY back in the soundscape, leaving the drum kick too exposed, as the bridge to another loud section. I think I'd just bring that guitar forward.

Crowded sections work fine for me, though. I think you've balanced things pretty well there! :nicework:

Sometimes I feel like that snare could have some articulations on the velocity aspect, but I think it's okay as-is.

All in all, I don't think this is ready for the judges yet. But keep working on it, you're doing very well so far ^^

Nice. The guitar choice greatly adds to the depth of the song. It sounds like a record that was made in the late 1960's near the beginning, then flash-forward into modern day rock and roll.

My only concern (and I mean only) is that at 3:00 the song seemed to die on me. Granted, 5 seconds later the song had Life 3 casted on it and was revived instantly, but that section really irked me.

Oh, and you need two more extra notes at the end, or make a grand ending of your own. I'll leave it to you to fix that.

SUBMIT THIS!

2 more notes? Actually I think the ending should have 2 more minutes.

First off, thanks for the positive feedback. I've tidied up a few bits I was unhappy with, re-recorded the main guitar solo with harmonies as well, remixed the section at 3:00 (I was meant to do that last time but apparently I totally forgot!). I cropped the intro a little bit to try and tighten the piece up a bit, not sure if it destroys the intro or not really, it just sounded a little sloppy to me. Also tried to tidy up the transition from soft to heavy, think I'll keep playing with that. Any other suggestions are gladly recieved, I'm still unsure as to whether I want to extend the ending out since I quite like that it's kind of a song in two halves and that it's quite concise but if it needs it, it needs it!

Link: http://soundcloud.com/elzfernomusic/sk-doom-wip3

It seems to drag on a bit until the drums start at around the 50 second or so mark, but then it's rather nice. Perhaps shortening the intro and lengthening another section may make it better? Or perhaps inserting some new melody playing with the one already there to spice up the intro.

Just suggestions, of course. Don't know what others think.

Christ on a bicycle that tune was rockin' as hell.

I really love the various guitar tones you've used, they work very well. Drums are fairly solid too. I'm no expert on metal so there's not a lot I can offer in the form of constructive criticism, but I do hope you finish this tune (if its not done already) and maybe even get around to submitting it. It's got some serious potential.

Rock on.