Second Life - anyone play it?

Kiro Dragoon

Welcome to OCR, Kiro Dragoon.

I actually don't know what people think about Second Life on these forums. It has a pretty bad rep on a lot of the Internet. I posted a documentary a while ago in the MMORPG thread in PPR and that gave a pretty interesting look at obsession in Second Life.

But to answer your question, I don't play it :)

There was a lot of conversation and interest about Second Life at my university. A guy was trying to make it playable for blind people (not sure how it'd work, but cool idea), and it was seen as a vehicle for online marketing in the business school. Not sure how much of a return you'd get on that.

I tried it, ended up in a foreign language district, and could think of nothing I wanted to do in my second life that I didn't want to do more in my first (except visit a beach and a jungle, and the jungle crashed my weak computer). It was also a little creepy talking to people whom I shared no interest with. It's hard to lurk there without being creepy.

I never thought to look for "video game" settings, but probably wouldn't like talking with people there, either. The more private rooms seemed to only have 5 people in them anyway.

To be honest i get yelled at when i call it a "game" while around people that are realy into it, they call it a "platformer".... I guess it isnt realy a game, more of a virtual world... games tend to have quests, goals, and battles and enemies... the enemy thing is optional in second life, but it dosnt realy have the rest :P

Its an interesting way to make new interesting friends, and trust me when i say that the furries arent what everyone makes them out to be, they are very interesting, and often I found them to be very funny and intelectual. ^.^

There are down sides to second life though... like griefers... but where I spend my time the most is a sim called Twilight Town, and I am one of the founders of that sim.. (It's roughly based on Twilight Town from Kingdom Hearts)... but since im an admin there i get to ban people for not following the rules and whatnot ^.^

To be honest i get yelled at when i call it a "game" while around people that are realy into it, they call it a "platformer".... I guess it isnt realy a game, more of a virtual world... games tend to have quests, goals, and battles and enemies... the enemy thing is optional in second life, but it dosnt realy have the rest :P

Its an interesting way to make new interesting friends, and trust me when i say that the furries arent what everyone makes them out to be, they are very interesting, and often I found them to be very funny and intelectual. ^.^

There are down sides to second life though... like griefers... but where I spend my time the most is a sim called Twilight Town, and I am one of the founders of that sim.. (It's roughly based on Twilight Town from Kingdom Hearts)... but since im an admin there i get to ban people for not following the rules and whatnot ^.^

Even though furries really aren't as extreme, insane, or perverted as the Internet makes them out to be, it's seriously hard to get ahead in the (Internet) life when someone says he associates with furries. They have a terrible (and mostly undeserved) reputation.

It's like racism, but based on hobbies instead of race. I don't know if there's a better word for that.