Album Release: VG-inspired music for your enjoyment! Advice appreciated!

EC2151

Hello, OCR. I know I just joined, and I really hope it's not presumptuous of me to push any type of music of mine down your throats, but I am just posting this here to get some feedback, and maybe some tips on how to improve myself when I go on to attempt some VG stuff.

I don't want this to sound like self-advertisement, so I hope it doesn't sound too needy.

Anyhoo, I didn't want to join this community without something under my belt in terms of music production, so I have myself a last.fm:

http://www.last.fm/music/Emperor+Charlemagne

And on this last.fm, I tried my hand at making CUSTOM video-game INSPIRED tracks (not remixes, mind you. My own stuff):

Nowhere to Go but Forward

NowheretoGobutForward.jpg

Cheesy album art by me. I kinda wanted the whole album to have a lot of cheese to it.

It's all free, by the way. I don't deserve to charge.

Now, talking to a few pals here and there, the tracks they like most are:

Inconstant Madness

The Greatest Magician in the World

Organ Grinder (especially; people seem to love this)

And I use Fruity Loops with a SHIT-load of free samples (mostly stuff I found on the great Darkesword's website, ha ha).

Again, I ask (if only for those three tracks; listen to the others at your discretion, heh) for any advice, not only in terms of composition, but what i am most in need of help in, EQing and mastering. So much help, that I don't even know what EQing means!

If this is ignored, I'm fine with that, but I just also wanted to show (as I said earlier) that I don't want to be just some kid with the FL demo churning out a crappy loop-filled attempt at trance (nothing against trance).

I also hope it is not against the rules to post this topic. The rules for each section are all kinda spread out, so it's hard for a new-timer to keep track. Sorry if this is not kosher.

• 4 weeks later...

A bump to see if there is any assessment of possible talent. Probably not, but lol.

As I said, these are the best of the bunch, but I think the whole set is pretty nice:

Inconstant Madness

Organ Grinder

And I honestly like Tears of a River more and more as the album ages:

Tears of a River

Provided links in this post to make it easier... FOR YOU TO LISTEN AHA!

Inconstant Madness is an interesting piece. Nice use of diminished chords. My suggestion is to make the melody/lead a little more clear, unless you're going strictly for ambiance.

Organ Grinder demonstrates a good use of dissonance. The composition becomes particularly powerful around 1:00 into the song, at which point it begins to have a gothic blues feel that is akin to Castlevania music. Perhaps the song should provide an essence of classic organ grinding at some point.

Tears of a River does have a rather epic feel to it. It's well-done, and there's not much advice I can offer for it.

Keep up the good work!