Good deals on Wii games?

Soul Splint

So, I was given a Wii for my b-day. Apparently I'm hard to buy for, and they knew I was into video games, so they took their best guess. I was pleased to say the least :-o, but the games they got me aren't really thrilling (Wii Sports and Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games; I'm not too much of a social gamer). I figured I'd give Zelda: Twilight Princess and Super Mario Galaxy and the Metroid Trilogy a try, and I was expecting they'd be quite cheap since they were released a long time ago. I was WRONG. They're all still pretty much the same price as they were at release! So, three questions for anyone who feels like being helpful:

1) Where's a good place to get some decent deals? I typically buy from Gamestop or Amazon...

2) Anyone recommend some good games I didn't mention above?

3) If there's a thread already dealing with this, can you point me to it?

Muchas gracias.

I think some have said they liked No More Heroes. I've heard good things about Okami (got it for $15 off of Amazon around Black Friday, haven't tried it yet). Fire Emblem is a tough game I remember, at least towards the end, if you like SRPGs.

Other than that, I'm clueless I think.

Also, Nintendo games don't go on sale very often.

First-party Nintendo games don't go on sale, period. They're the biggest sellers for the Wii, and retailers have zero incentive to discount them. That being said, Smash Bros. Brawl, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Super Mario Galaxy, Prime Trilogy, Wii Sports Resort, and Twilight Princess are all well worth your money.

The cheapest place to get most of them is to buy them used at Gamestop, and use your discount card (if you shop regularly at GS and don't have one, you're crazy).

Cheaper, not-first-party games to get include (used copies again:)

Trauma Center: Second Opinion (the first game, a rocking DS port)

Trauma Center: New Blood (one of these two, probably not both)

Okami

Tiger Woods 2010 (makes the best use of MotionPlus so far) -- this one's still pricey

I've heard very good things about No More Heroes and Muramasa: The Demon Blade but am yet to play either of them.

on WiiWare, the Konami "ReBirth" series is pretty solid (blasted through most of Contra at OA's place).

I think some have said they liked No More Heroes. I've heard good things about Okami (got it for $15 off of Amazon around Black Friday, haven't tried it yet). Fire Emblem is a tough game I remember, at least towards the end, if you like SRPGs.

Also, Nintendo games don't go on sale very often.

The man speaks truth. I hate to say it, but unless you're in to niche stuff, don't expect to see a lot of new, exciting games come out in great quantities That being said, most of the games you mentioned are pretty good (galaxy is awesome). Brawl is great, especially if you liked Melee. Wario Land: Shake It wasn't too bad either, but I kind of regret paying full price for it, given how short it felt. Also, Fire Emblem on the Wii is really good if you played the first one on GC. If you haven't, the value of the game may drop a bit for you since you won't have experienced all of the back story it brings with it.

As for deals, you just have to keep an eye out. I don't buy a lot of games anymore, so I can't say where you could find them, but your local PawnStop is a good a place as any.

Well damn.

So it looks like if I want new copies of the first-party games I'll be paying around $50 no matter what.

I refuse to ever buy used games again unless new copies are impossible to come by, or I know the seller personally. I had one too many bad experiences with used games.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll have to check some of these out...

I can vouch for No More Heroes.

Additionally, did anyone suggest Metroid Prime Trilogy? That's... what, THREE awesome Nintendo games for $14-$20 each? Not bad.

Edit: Someone DID suggest Metroid Trilogy. Sorry, I just didn't see it.

Don't forget there's a lot of games on VC and Wii Ware worth looking at too. They even have Super Mario RPG up there.

Well damn.

So it looks like if I want new copies of the first-party games I'll be paying around $50 no matter what.

I refuse to ever buy used games again unless new copies are impossible to come by, or I know the seller personally. I had one too many bad experiences with used games.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll have to check some of these out...

Just an FYI, Gamestop has a really nice guarantee on their used games -- in fact, it's better than the one that comes with their new games. One week no questions return policy also...which may or may not have led to me "borrowing" Halo 3: ODST from them a few weeks after it came out.

get muramasa

I agree, Muramasa is worth the time if you like a nice hack n' slash adventure game in beautiful 2D.

Someone said House of the Dead: Overkill, get that. It's $20, and it makes for one heck of a game to play with a friend (it is oh-so-satisfying, and hilarious to boot).

Madworld is short, but it's also $20. I'd say get it. Trauma Center, either one of them, is a good buy in my book.

For the Nintendo games that are STILL $50, like every 1st party game, I say: Get them used. It's better to get them cheaper.

If you want something else, I'd recommend the Wiiware game Megaman 9 (ten bucks), or World of Goo (15). Both solid games.

Finally, I'mma push Little King's Story. It's a beautiful, fun, and enthralling 40-hour game that no one bought, and it's probably one of the best games on the Wii. Plus, you get to be a king with 7 wives. What's not to like?

TOTALLY forgot about Megaman 9. My avatar flippeth me off.

Here's what I should have done in the first place: list what I have for the 360, so people know my tastes (and before you look, no I'm not just into shooters, I just haven't had the time to invest in RPG's and such.)

Halo 3, Wars, and ODST

Gears of War 1 and 2

Bioshock

Mass Effect

Timeshift

Half-Life: The Orange Box

Army of Two

Brutal Legend

Fable II

Section 8

Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts

TOTALLY forgot about Megaman 9. My avatar flippeth me off.

Here's what I should have done in the first place: list what I have for the 360, so people know my tastes (and before you look, no I'm not just into shooters, I just haven't had the time to invest in RPG's and such.)

Halo 3, Wars, and ODST

Gears of War 1 and 2

Bioshock

Mass Effect

Timeshift

Half-Life: The Orange Box

Army of Two

Brutal Legend

Fable II

Section 8

Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts

I heard The Conduit does a solid job on the Wii as a FPS.

Also, if you plan to grab No More Heroes like some people have recommended, grab the Red Steel/NMH double pack. I actually enjoyed Red Steel very much.

And yeah, every first party Nintendo game out there warrants a purchase. Smash Bros., Mario Galaxy, New Mario Bros, Mario Kart, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Twilight Princess, etc.

Except Animal Crossing. Least improved game of the year.

I'm a bit of an eclectic gamer, so I can't really throw down some good (mainsteam) suggestions, although...

If you're into bullet hell type shooters, Castle of Shikigami 3 will totally satisfy any danmaku enthusiast.

If you have any friends, Dokapon-freaking-Kingdom. The game is great, but only if you have friends to play it with. The AI cheats. Literally. Or so I heard from some of my friends.

I still think the fact that they did not name this game "Banjo Threeie" feels like a punch in the face to my n64 heritage.

The fact that Rare now sucks, is a punch to my childhoods face.

Banjo-kazooie games.

GoldenEye

Perfect Dark

Jetforce Gemni.

Diddy Kong Racing.

They could do no wrong..

If you have any friends, Dokapon-freaking-Kingdom. The game is great, but only if you have friends to play it with. The AI cheats. Literally. Or so I heard from some of my friends.

+1 for this. The game looks absolutely ridiculous and I was hesitant to play it at all when invited by my friends, but it's quite fun.

And yes, the AI does cheat. :-x

And it just so happens that Newegg has it for $12.

FHEUSAHVLIAHGRS DAMMIT WHY DID I SPEND MY MONEY

*glances at page anyway*

Madworld is kickass too. Newegg apparently also has that for $12.

I still think the fact that they did not name this game "Banjo Threeie" feels like a punch in the face to my n64 heritage.

I would think them actually naming it "Banjo Threeie" would be a punch in the face to my N64 heritage. The game's far too different for it to be a true sequel.

All this talk of Rare is making me envision a true sequel to Jet Force Gemini (which I have had a remix request on here for months now). WANT

One of these days, I will be a social gamer who plays with friends, but my schedule is way too screwy for any kind of collab play. I usually play for chunks of half an hour or so throughout the day.

The Conduit for $12? Very interesting... Even though the campaign never got more than a mediocre review.

Metal Slug Anthology and Guilty Gear XX Accent Core are worthwhile. Not sure how much they run these days, but I got them at a pretty good price. Also, I love ExciteTruck. It's a ridiculously fun arcade racer with good length and replay value, and I think it's still one of the only games on the Wii to support custom soundtracks. I still like it better than ExciteBots, even if it is technically the inferior game.

What I'm about to say really, really sucks because, though I buy from them when I have to, I do not like GameStop's used/trade-in policies and profiteering. I don't begrudge their desire to make money, but I think it's completely unethical in some cases.

Anyway, if you want 1st Party Nintendo games cheap, the best thing you can do is twofold. First, wait until GameStop does its (often monthly) buy-2-get-1-free deal on used games. Then, get yourself a discount card/Game Informer subscription. The discount card works in conjunction with the buy-2-get-1 deal. So let's say you want to get Mario Galaxy, Zelda, and Mario Kart (all amazing games, BTW). Assuming they're all about $45, you can get them for a total of roughly $81 plus some tax (1 is free, you get 10% off the other two that you buy). So really you're only spending about $25-$30 per game.

Gamestop will probably be doing buy-2-get-1 the weekend before and the weekend after Christmas.

Most of the awesome deals I've witnessed were at Target and Costco (maybe Sam's Club too, but I don't have membership there so I wouldn't know) Global-Trance told me too at Wal-mart New Super Mario Bros. Wii is for $40 right now. I don't know if it still is though from the time he bought it.... Besides that, the remake of Silent Hill (Wii) released today and it's BADASS! Awesome reviews.