OCR01945 - Sonic the Hedgehog 2 "Mystic Chemicals"

djpretzel

hahahahaa I can see why DJP mentioned led zep in the write up... its as if led zepplin covered sonic the hedgehog. I mean COME ON HOW AWESOME :P

Yeah the production doesn't sound like the best imo, Its not got that solid wall of sound approach that most rock mixes have, I think the guitars don't quite have the punch they could, and some of the instruments sound kind of distant, but it does give the mix a somewhat more "classic" sound to it, which I think does suit the sound he was going for. Still, a little more polish would have been nice :D

That said, this rocks. If you like sonic the hedgehog and/or classic rock (which should be ALL OF YOU :P) then this is a MUST.

Nice work man :P

The drums seem to be a driving force in this remix, which works just fine with me. They might not be the most tightly played/sequenced (I honestly can't tell whether they're real drums or not) but that mixed with the classic rock guitar give this all a very authentic vintage feel. Everything else is pretty well arranged and performed, as well, but the drums especially stood out to me. It's about as far from "vanilla" as you can get with this genre of music.

Nice work! :-D

The first guitar is a hungry lurker and the second one doesn't wanna be tamed (1:11-1:13 squeals = gleeful), so the freestyle sections give them the opportunity to not only flex their muscles but also their personalities. Mystic Cave's bassline feels like it's being danced around (even though it's played note for note), Chemical Plant sounds like it was made for this kind of rockability, and 2:57 leaps right back into Mystic Cave as if it was a natural extension of the former. Drums are thick and cymbals are sparkly, but it's in the breakdown at 2:13-2:31 that the "live" feeling really clicks - it's like I'm watching a sideshow and waiting for something new to appear onstage.

Full but thankfully not overbearing.

This is a fun mix. I only vaguely know the source just from listening to other mixes, but I like the adaption here. This definitely rocks, and it feels pretty natural overall to bring it into a rock style, which I wouldn't have imagined.

Personally I feel like the mix isn't as tight as it could be. The instruments just aren't quite matching up in a couple sections and it feels a bit awkward (like just enough for it to be noticeable). I think it would have been brought up a notch just by being a little tighter and together.

Nice work, I'm rockin' out.

The drums have little too much reverb compared to the rest. Recording (or is it production?) is a little iffy at times, with instruments seemingly cancelling each other out. I agree the tempo is a little too low to make this truly enjoyable for me.

Performance is very good most of the time, with drums sometimes a little off, and lead guitar as good as anyone could ask it to be.

I sound like I hate this mix. I just didn't like it all that much (but then again, I'm not a fan of the genre). Good job though, dude, and I'm sure lots of other people will.

Very cool mix. Love the feel, and I'm a fan of classic rock as a genre myself. The guitar work is rockin', and a lot of fun. Though the theme from Mystic Cave tends to be faster, the more deliberate rendition is a fun contrast.

Great work on this. Looking forward to seeing more from you down the line!

This track is right up my alley. I'm really impressed by the drum work. There are a few sections were I would have liked things to be a bit tighter (like DragonAvenger mentioned), but in the long run those don't really detract from the song at all.

All of the comparisons to Zeppelin... if that's not high praise, I don't know what is!

Good stuff, great intro, and I love that drum sound. Some very nice riffage as i've come to expect from Xmark, and those it's a bit loose in some sections, it just gives it a more live feel, rather than bringing the mix down overall. Source was really used well here, and fits the treatment.

Basically, this just plain rocks, and not only does it have swagger, but a lot of personality.

Recommended!

Hoo-yeah! I love this mix so freaking much; its pretty much flawless.

There really needs to be more classic rock inspired remixes out there.

After listening to this, I know realize now that this is one of those things that deep down I've always secretly wanted, but I never knew exactly what it was until now.

This would be sheer mind blowing to see this performed live.

This mix comes so highly recommended; it really should belong in everyone's collection.

I'm not as enthusiastic about this remix as most other people seem to be. I like classic rock, but this remix is missing something. I can't put my finger on it; maybe it is like DJP said in the write-up and it's the singing that's missing, but something about this arrangement bothers me.

That being said, the part starting at ~2:35 is awesome.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Now this is really impressive. I wasn't expecting this level of quality in the arrangement.

The average guitar remix usually goes somewhere along the "faster-paced than original + shredding" framework, but this manages to go beyond the commonplace. Not only it suceeds in reaching a specific sound, but it also brings the, let's say, "soul" of that genre too. The original riffs are also catchy as ****.

Well done.

• 6 months later...

Yes, yes, a million times fuck yeah! This is what I'm talking about genre-wise. Classic rock really does it for me, even more than hard rock and electronic. I really wasn't expecting to find a classic rock remix of Sonic while I'm on my Sonic kick, but not only do I find one, it's freaking awesome! The guitars were spot on and damn the drums were nice. I gotta say, that I actually liked the Mystic Cave Zone part slowed down a bit. It brings out that Led Zepplin soul and I really hope we see more of this at some point.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01945 - Sonic the Hedgehog 2 "Mystic Chemicals"