OCR02030 - *YES* Donkey Kong Country 2 'Brambles Open Minds Like Bubbles'

Palpable

Heyo! Here's the vitals,

Remixer Name/Real Name: Ross Kmet

Name of Game Arranged: Donkey Kong Country 2

Song Arranged: Stickerbrush Symphony

Composer: Dave Wise

"Brambles Open Minds Like Bubbles"

So, when I jumped on the DKC2 project, this track was open for like a day before JM nabbed it, so I started a WIP. Well, JM got the claim first, but I really liked my sketch, finished it, and sent it here. I had been listening to alot of dubstep as I wrote this, so this is my way of blending dubstep and VGM, although I wouldn't go so far as to call this song in it's entirity "dubstep". Acceptance or no, at least enjoy it.:)

Regards,

Ross Kmet

---------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=dkq - 13 "Stickerbrush Symphony"

Do I hear an Ableton Live beat repeat preset in there? :tomatoface:

So hey, this is a pretty damn cool remix. You definitely have your own style when it comes to sound. The instruments are warm, fat and slightly distorted for that extra edge. The sound keeps evolving and changing throughout the track which is great for variation. The production overall felt a bit quiet but that's nothing that held the whole track back. I thought the first synth bass sound was a bit vanilla but the rest makes up for it.

The arrangement takes a rather simple approach to the source, keeping a similar pace. The modifications to the melody, backing and above all the dynamic form of the arrangement makes it stand out though. I thought the ending was great, maybe because it sounded like something I would've loved to do.. It doesn't fade out the whole way though, not a big deal but would like a fix.

Overall I thought the arrangement was creative even though it didn't revolutionize the source, the production was good and it felt cohesive but varied. Great stuff man!

YES(conditional on ending)

• 2 weeks later...

A somewhat conservative, but distinctly personalized take on the source. The additional rhythms with the melody are very cool, and the percussion specifically has a lot of cool ideas added, with some great hihat patterns.

Production was full and pretty clean. No complaints here.

I also would prefer a smoother fade at the end, but am fine with giving you a non-conditional.

yes

I think Stickerbrush is like the Ice Cap of the DK series. Good tune, but I swear, everybody goes for that one. Nothing wrong with that at all, I'm just saying.

I can't say I was really wow'd in terms of the arrangement itself here, but this does have some sparkly qualities that make it an enjoyable piece regardless. Some of the textures/instruments, and even the writing itself at times sound very Ziwtra-ish. The distorted, filterswept leads kind of reminded me of his Emotions track at times. I really enjoyed the glitchtastic, st-st-st-st-st--st---st-----st------stuttered ending as well. Great stuff :)

I actually didn't mind the abrupt ending, honesty. Were it any other style than glitch, I almost certainly would have. But I'm indifferent. I'm cool with it whether it's "fixed" or left as-is.

Nice work, Ross!

YES

Arrangement is on the simpler side, yeah, but this gets more than enough work out of the melody. Well developed, keeping things interesting from beginning to end. Nothing really negative about the production except for the ending, which isn't really that bad. It'd be nice to have that extended a little bit, but this is postable either way. :nicework:

YES