1999-2009: Ten Years of OC ReMix!

djpretzel

1999-2009: Ten Years of OverClocked ReMix!

December 11, 2009

FAIRFAX, VA--OverClocked ReMix today celebrates its ten year anniversary. Started on December 11th, 1999, the website has grown from a small group of avid musicians and gamers to a larger community of artists making a case for the appreciation of video game music as an art form. Over 1,800 fan arrangements of video game music have been posted, along with sixteen albums. To celebrate, ten mixes will be posted today, from ten different games and ten different artists, with each mix writeup briefly summarizing a different year from the site's history.

Site creator David W. Lloyd writes:

"When I started this site in my parent's basement back in 1999, I thought it would be a fun diversion that could help me get better at making music, but also serve as an outlet for VGM fans everywhere to pay homage to their favorite songs. When I was much younger, I remember tape-recording the output from my Sega Master System and making mixtapes filled with
Alex Kidd
Shinobi
, and
Space Harrier
music. I've always loved VGM, especially for its strong original melodies, and this site seemed like a good way to express that. While I didn't have any idea it would become what it is today, I did have a certain faith - faith that there were others like me, faith that the Internet was full of a lot of talented people who would contribute their music and their time and their energy freely, and faith that we could show the world that video game music is an art form."

Fans are invited to share their memories of OC ReMix over the last ten years on the site's forums.

About OverClocked ReMix

Founded in 1999, OverClocked ReMix is an organization dedicated to the appreciation, preservation, and interpretation of video game music. Its primary focus is www.ocremix.org, a website featuring hundreds of free fan arrangements, information on game music and composers, resources for aspiring artists, and a thriving community of video game music fans.

###

ocremix-logo-10years.png

That's just an awesome idea, I'm stoked to see what's getting put up and how it represents each year. Should be quite nostalgic for those who've been around since the dawn of the site, and quite insightful for those who have not. I raise my glass and tip my hat to you today, Mr. Lloyd, and all who have made this possible.

Cheers

This site has long been my favorite site on the internet, and I don't think that will ever change. So awesome that OCR has been around for 10 years. I remember finding this site in 2003 and having my world completely revolutionized.

We all appreciate the hard work that djp, the judges' panel, and everyone else have put into this site over the years, and look forward to seeing what the next ten years of OCR bring.

TheCoop_NiceBirthday.jpg

You've done so much for the art form, for the industry, for the community, and for me--and half the people I know.

The composers, the players, the bedroom artists, the public at large... everybody. Truly it's hard to even fathom it all.

Now we're starting to get jobs in the industry... We're all growing up so fast!

...:razz:

:nicework:

Edit: Finally found *that* image

Wow... I just realize, I was only about 13 or 14 when I started coming here. This place has been so influential in the person that I've become... I doubt I would have even put much thought into learning music if not for the awesome arrangements here.

For the first few years, I just kinda lurked around, had a few chuckles with a song about groins. Then, I heard this. Changed my outlook on music completely, and made me want to play Chrono Trigger, which... well, yeah, if you've played it, then you know, and if you haven't, drop what you're doing right now and get on that.

I remember crying the first time I heard Journey's End. I remember so many times when people were ill and the community banded around them. I remember when Rueben Kee died... I never even talked to the guy, but I felt like I had lost a friend. I guess you could say I knew him through his music. It made me realize how much art (especially music) is part of a person's soul... and not just a hobby or a career path some people take.

On a lighter note, one of my favorite memories was years back when it seemed like every other thread was someone complaining about the evil Electronic Arts empire, and how they were going to take over the whole world by buying out every other company in existence. (Okay that's an exaggeration, but it was pretty bad.) Then on April 1st, DJP and crew revealed the new "EA Remix"!... and half the site panicked. And then it seemed just as everyone was finally figuring out that it was a joke, we received a "Cease and Desist Order" from Neil L. Shapiro, attorouney for EA!... and even the people who were in on the first half of the joke got worried because only a handful of people knew that the C&D order was fake too. People were freaking out trying to figure out if it was real.

So I changed my screen name to Neil L. Shapiro (back when such things were more acceptable) and confirmed it. Then everyone started dicking around and the whole site turned into an Unmoddian nightmare for a day. Not something that I would enjoy all the time, but it was pretty hilarious that one time. Easily my favorite April Fools prank ever, and pretty much the most fun I've ever had on the internet.

I'm not kidding when I say the video game music remix community, and this site in particular, has changed my life. Needless to say, if it weren't for OCR, my love of VGM would not be what it is today. There would be no Nitro Game Injection, I never would've devoted time to something like Summoning of Spirits, I wouldn't have ever even met Mae and been together with her for the last several years. So thank you OCR, and here's hoping for many more years of game music goodness!

Hooray, OCR! You're still jailbait though. ;)

I was probably 15 years old when I signed up for OCR in 2002, though I did have previous account(s). It was Final Fantasy VII that got me interested in game music back in 1998, and I submitted and failed a Kingdom Hearts remix in 2001, so... OCR can be directly linked to me using and learning Fruity Loops to say the least! But without that knowledge, I wouldn't be where I am today. Thanks OCR!

Happy Birthday OCR! I found you way back in '03 and even though I've never been a big forum poster, for the past 6 years you've occupied a special place on my Bookmark Toolbar. Here's to another 10 years of fan remixing and expanding the horizons of video game music everywhere!