OCR01946 - Final Fantasy VI "A World of Decisions"

djpretzel

Happy birthday to OCR!!!!!! I'm happy to say I've been here almost the whole time! Well... at least ~8 years from the forum's "join date" (but I remember being here in 2000 so..) so it's pretty good! :)

Thank you so much for all the time you devoted to this website, you have given a LOT of joy to all of us listeners (and of course to the remixers).

It's people like you that keeps this world well worth it!! ;)

And now for the remix itself, I must say I am impressed! Being able to yet again make me download a FF6 song! ;)

Great work, hoping to hear more from you in the next decade!!

I still get a super strong Zelda 2 vibe from this, but I'm glad it passed, as it's a pretty nice track regardless. Good tone and some very nice playing make this a mellow but potentially tense track. There is an undercurrent of motion, but it feels very dreamlike.

Very pleasant stuff, and a brave arrangement, even if it mostly went over my head. Nice save by Jimmy to get this one on the site. :-)

I think what is key in the performance of this piano piece turning out so well is that the volume of the piano is not constant. Sometimes it is loud, sometimes it is very quiet, which gives our ears and mind a rest before the next "musical push" as it were.

I think that's very important for any song, but especially for solos where you only hear the one instrument.

Yeah, I'm glad this got on the site :-) I'm a sucker for emotive, flowing piano mixes and while this isn't as technically-incredible as the other solo piano mix we had posted today, I actually think I like this one just as much. It's a bold arrangement that I think succeeds, even though I don't know the source so I can't comment on how true it stays to it.

Congrats on your debut! :-)

It's been a while since a good solo piano arrangement like this has been posted, I think! Nice to hear someone tickle the old ivories again! Beautiful job, I love the source tune and this definitely does it justice in a more unconventional way than what I usually think of when I imagine arrangements of Final Fantasy battle music.

Oh, and happy 10th birthday, OCR!

Unfortunately, I'm quite ashamed to say that I've never once played any Final Fantasy game... yeahhhh... Hence, I am not at all familiar with the source. But I figured i should probably pick this one up, as it's quite a milestone for OCR!

And I'm impressed. I love solo piano stuff, and this is definitely no exception! Really an awesome sounding piece. Exceptional playing, great expression; again, it's awesome. Looking forward to more from Khemael!

P.S. Congratulations OCR, 10 years wooo! Huge thank you to djpretzel for creating this incredible community, and to all artists, judges, project managers, etc for keeping it going for 10 years!

Here's to 10 more!

I see I'm not the only one sensing Zelda in this mix, too. :<

But I have to admit that I kinda like it. I keep thinking about how the Beatles in Strawberry Fields Forever keeps stating how nothing is real, and I feel this exemplifies that notion and how everything blurs together.... eh...

As for the mix itself, its amazing, stunning, and gorgeous; the sheer simplicity of a piano solo brings out the melody so profoundly.

I think what is key in the performance of this piano piece turning out so well is that the volume of the piano is not constant. Sometimes it is loud, sometimes it is very quiet, which gives our ears and mind a rest before the next "musical push" as it were.

I think that's very important for any song, but especially for solos where you only hear the one instrument.

Very, very well said, and I couldn't agree more.

It's while since this site's seen a solo piano mix (At least, I think so), and this delivers in spades.

The arrangement is, if not anything, bold, and the transitions between both the frantic and calmer moments and smooth and seamless.

2009 has been a good year for OCR, and this piece is like the icing on the cake.

The decision thread is fun, esp. for me. I missed the boat, you say? :D

This is a great performance and a great arrangement. Both playful and with a serious tone to it. Sounds like there's a lot of irregular bar lengths in there, which only adds to how impressive it is. Even when parts feels like they're a note or two too long or too short the mix just casually flows on as if it's perfectly normal. :D

Towards the end, it takes on a more melancholic and beautiful vibe, mirroring its intro. Good way to end the mix.

Reading the wip thread, it feels like I had a hand in this, which considering the performance and my lack of piano skill feels awesome. :D Congrats on getting it posted dude. :D

What really stands out about this track is the performance. I don't know the source, so I cannot comment on how well it was arranged, but the performance sounds really good; probably because of the changes between loud and quiet parts (as was noted by other reviewers) and the lack of smashing-your-forearm-on-the-piano-for-dramatic-effect, which is something I really dislike.

Nice job.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I say this a lot, but it's true. Solo piano, when done right, can be great for almost any source. This is excellent playing and a wonderful performance. Not knowing the source helped me focus a little more on the production and arrangement of this ReMix, and this was a great song for sure. Great job.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01946 - Final Fantasy VI "A World of Decisions"