OCR01947 - Super Mario 64 "Big-Band Battlefield"

djpretzel

HOLY SHIT.

That is all. I can honestly say that, after the first listen, this became one of my jazz standards. That bari player should get a prize, the Buddy Rich drum solo action ate babies, nice shouting with the trumpets. I feel like anything I say actually doesn't do this justice. Well done...outta curiousity, does anyone know if this is gonna be played at a jazz club anytime? I'll make the trip - I've got some money saved up, so I'll seriously come from Ottawa to Toronto to hear this band. Congrats - apologies for cursing, but...wow. Just...Wow.

Hot damn. I want a copy of this on vinyl.

Personally, I'm really digging the low quality handheld recorder stuff and the chatter in the background, though I'm surprised that it got posted. Judges here really surprise me sometimes (in a good way)

Also...

HOLY SHIT.

That is all. I can honestly say that, after the first listen, this became one of my jazz standards. That bari player should get a prize, the Buddy Rich drum solo action ate babies, nice shouting with the trumpets. I feel like anything I say actually doesn't do this justice. Well done...outta curiousity, does anyone know if this is gonna be played at a jazz club anytime? I'll make the trip - I've got some money saved up, so I'll seriously come from Ottawa to Toronto to hear this band. Congrats - apologies for cursing, but...wow. Just...Wow.

Everything this guy said.

Haha I just have to make a comment about the "orange" version of the website, that was the good old days! I just loved your little DJ Pretzel head at the top :P

Also, nice to see Tail Cave Beatdown in the remix section of this archive image. It's one of the TOP remix of this website for me (and I have 771 downloaded mix that I listen to!) and it's nice to see that the older mixes aren't necessarily less good even if the tech wasn't always there at the time!!

Very well arranged, performed, and captured - this really does do the "live jazz" feel justice.

Gotta give you major props - although I feel it could have been tightened up a bit, you guys probably just sat down and ran through it a few times and then recorded... I know how university jazz works haha...

Anyway, I hope to hear more - great stuff!

Stylistically, big-band is about as far as you can get from my favorite musical genre and it's not something I typically enjoy. However, between the source tune and the clever embellishments I think you guys made it work for me :-) Like everyone's pointed out, it feels completely real and engrossing with the live jazz feel you've got going on... never has a remix made me feel like I'm really there listening to the band play more than this one! The random people talking are there only for enough time to establish the atmosphere but not enough to really distract from anything, which is pretty lucky when you're recording in a room full of people.

You guys rock, please don't stop submitting gems like this! :-D

This makes me want to get up and do the Charleston

There's a small place in my heart for big-band, and this just reminds me of why I love it. The live recording and voices in the background add a certain charm to the track, as well as the solos (that bari player is a monster).

I hope we'll se more of these guys in the future, eh? :nicework::tomatoface:

This is just, plain and simply, such a cool and fun piece, I feel like a hep cat when listening to this, and the fact that this was done live makes it even more special.

I really wish I could have seen this performed live, but I'm still very thankful that I get to hear it at all. Thank you all.

This is so going straight to my Video Game Jazz playlist.

WOOOO! This is so optimally great. Big band-style jazz is one of my favourite musical genres, and this is just totally excellent! I love the really jammy feel of this, too. The source is there for sure, but all the flourishing solos going on all the time make it feel so much more like a huge jam session of awesomeness. Also, mad props to all in terms of soloing, everything sounds greeeeeat!

This is a really fitting piece for this time of the year - jazz band stuff really works well here. Been listening to this on repeat for the past few times while wrapping Christmas presents and figuring out a surprise for the OCR goers to MAGFest.

There is a slight bit of sloppiness found here and there, but it's a live performance that's largely well done. Arrangement-wise, I can't say I really have much to complain about, and the recording quality is pretty good which is a huge plus. I hope more live jazz stuff makes it to OCR, it's always a pleasure to listen to this stuff.

Hey, great rendition of a classic track. Mario 64 has a special place in my heart as the first "3D" game I ever played and music, for me, is instantly recognoisable since I played the game so much ... :) . I really dig the real instrument mixes, especially jazz, which lends itself particularly well to this (there's a lot of personality that comes through in the solos and whatnot).

My only "complaint" is that the audio sounds a bit washed out, but not much you can do about that (at least without haven't professional recording equipment and whatnot). Either way I LOVE the arrangement and the solos are a nice touch :) .

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01947 - Super Mario 64 "Big-Band Battlefield"