OCR01948 - Final Fantasy VIII "SeeD Mission"

djpretzel

Hah. I saw this one floating around in the 'to be posted' section, and couldn't wait to hear it. It came up today, and I tackled it full-force.

All I really have to say is YES! It's about time some of these songs start getting attention like this. FF VIII's tough to get into, thanks to its poor sampling. But the Dual Dragons pulled one of the songs with the strongest potential and ran with it. Quite the fantastic job, dudes! *thumbs-up*

Haha somehow this "blue" design didn't really catch my attention (how long was it up there?) -- I must say it's one the the design I liked the less... :P

At least there were some awesome remixes (even if this picture is from 2002) !!

FF6-Morning After and SF3-MakotoJungleJazz (or ANYTHING by McVaffe!!!) were perfect remixes!!!! I'm still listening to them to this day!

You guys really can crank out awesome tracks like no other. This one's no exception, I didn't have an issue with the strings but I do think the opening snares were pretty weaksauce :? It doesn't detract from the song though. I particularly thought the way you segued from hard rock and gradually broke down into something more electronic and mellow was expertly done! :-) Nice acoustic guitar, too, that sounded perfect!

Really killer job on the arrangement, playing... looking forward to hearing more out of you two!

Holy Crap

I heard metal and was prepared for the usual riff-raff, with too much distortion and not enough musicality. You guys totally blew me away, this is the cleanest, most inspired piece of metal music I've heard over the short time I've been listening to it. If that makes it obvious that I'm not into metal in the slightest, then so be it.

Regardless, arrangement is totally solid. Not crazy about the synth you're using for a string ensamble, but it suffices mostly. Great work, can't wait to hear more from you.

Very nice.

Although I don't really listen to a whole lot of metal, I can't quite comment in that respect, but on the whole it feels very polished and nicely intense.

O.K. I was completely not expecting that sudden change at 2:40, which, now knowing it's there, I admit I like it. Also the ending feels kind of cop-out-ish... but still, this mix is slowly growing on me.

I was expectin this to be wylin out with straight up metal but that wasn't the case I think I have the meaning of metal mixed up lol xD. Sweet remix, honestly I'm not familiar with the FFVIII soundtrack but I though this was tight. I like that abrupt ending to the slower section that was cool definitely wasn't expectin that lol. Good shit man.

Good arrangement and all, but is it just me or are the fruity loops programmed metal drum patterns just getting boring? I felt the drums sounded like little bursts of air being blown from a straw really close to your ear. If they were crunchier and less overkilled in terms of arrangement I think this mix would be much more of a winner.

Yea this game did have some rocking tunes didn't it?

I'm not feeling this one as much as others, but it's still a cool song. I feel like there isn't as good of a mesh between the orchestral elements, the synth elements, and the rock elements. They feel a bit too separate to me, which is a shame, because the arrangement itself is pretty nice. One example is the delay on the strings at 2:19 vs the rhythm guitar which has very little delay.

The arrangement rocks, though, and there were more than a few moments that I was lost in some good sound. I think this one overall could have had some more tweaking to polish up and make it sound more awesome, but still a keeper for me.

Another Dual Dragon's mix posted so soon? Yes plz!

Interesting take on the song, especially around 2:37 with the changeup to a more mellow/creepy section. Otherwise, I do have to say that I felt like this was too short. It's a nice surprise seeing a second submission though, and would be glad to hear any other music they have!

As a huge fan of 8, I was pleasantly surprised. "The Landing" is an excellent song, and this remix truly brings out some of the better aspects of the song. The synth, guitar, and drumline go together very well, and the addition of more classical instrument samples just gives it a more original feeling.

This work of art, as is, captures the essence of traveling the streets of Dollet and the heat of battle very well. Everything flows smoothly from one transition to the next, and it brings back the feelings the original brought for me.

The only thing I feel like this is missing is a bigger opening sequence. I couldn't feel the tension Squall felt as he looked out across the water; the beating heart and slow intro sequence adds such ambiance and emotion to the song, I couldn't possibly envision the song without it.

In conclusion: lacking a little bit in the beginning, but truly an excellent arrangement. This song is drips emotion and feeling from every note.

I particularly thought the way you segued from hard rock and gradually broke down into something more electronic and mellow was expertly done!

Though I do like the transitions between the different sections, none of the elements of the remix really stand out. However, this also means that the 4 minutes are filled with variation, keeping the remix from getting stale.

Overall, good job.

• 3 weeks later...

While The Landing feels like it's serious in making history with proper military strategy, SeeD Mission jumps right into the thick of the action. In other words, this mix's tone feels more accessible. Every bit of the source is comfortably niched together in one way or another, employing smooth and unorthodox twists. Examples:

0:34-0:47 and 2:04-2:17 - Echoing bleeps and bloops make for a happy/silly interlude.

1:38 and 3:14 - Energetic high notes follow a down-the-scale run from the source in a surprise-attack turnabout.

3:40-end - The somber orchestral fadeout seems to say "the real battle's not being fought here, and is not yet won..."

Pumps me up like Zell ready to throw some punches.

• 2 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01948 - Final Fantasy VIII "SeeD Mission"