OCR01949 - Panzer Dragoon II Zwei "Lagi's Takeoff"

djpretzel

Great mix of sounds here, the synths and orchestra, plus drums are really what drives this to be a good mix. The arrangement is really nice, and I think basically this is where I should just stop and say "awesome work", because I am basically rehashing my vote on this track.

A cool obscure track that deserves some serious attention. :-)

I was just talking with halc a few seconds before I listened to this mix about how I was kind of getting a bit bored with straight orchestral mixes and how the genre was growing stale for me. When I downloaded this and listened to it, it felt like karma was rewarding me for complaining or something :-P This is fresh, atmospheric, and really surprised me! Great debut mix! My only complaint is the ending, though... wtf happened there? o_O

As I listen to this, I keep thinking of the Forerunners from Halo, this feels so... so... forgotten, ancient, misunderstood, the direness of waging an uphill battle, fear in a handful of dust.

I can feel the tension stretched through this mix like a tight skinned drum.

Wow, the more I listen to this, the more it grows on me.

Hmm... they say that if you want to be heard, you don't have to shout and be loud to make your point.

I feel this mix was very well played out.

The tribal feel is really good on this, and for a first mix this is some solid work. The vocals used really added some nice character, I would have liked more of that brought back stronger later on in the mix.

The trumpet is a little weak, and there was one part (1:38) where I felt it clashed not very well with the other instruments going on, but that moment is brief. There are plenty of other good things to make up for some tiny flaws. Nice work, and welcome!

With this mix's mesh of pulsing drums, brash brass, and dancing synths, Halo and Mass Effect come to mind. I hope the push for unifying "ambient techno" and "modern classical horns", with "tribal beats" keeps going, it makes for outstanding cinematic OSTs.

Awesomely done.

It is a great travesty that it took 10 years for a Panzer Dragoon Zwei ReMix to be posted. But I am glad that it has finally happened. This one is of much better quality than I expected, considering that it's a mix of one of my least favorite songs on the soundtrack. Very good debut for this mixer.

Of course, it's way too short, but you can't have everything all at once, can you?

• 3 weeks later...

Wowzers, I feel like I'm hang gliding as I listen to this. I can feel the wind in my hair, see far in every direction, and even smell the smoke from cooking fires. Sizzling textures, pulsing bass and drum synergy, a brass that denotes daybreak... the aural experience is simply enveloping.

A tantalizing treat for the senses.

• 3 months later...

It's refreshing to hear something so percussion based and for it not soar into bombastic regions. I find that pretty rare with orchestral styled mixes. And to top it off, there's an electronica influenced weaved through it.

The very mannered inclusion of vocals is a real treat; never overbearing and always elusive enough to drive home that message of mysticism and otherwordly ethnicity. The piano and brass helped keep things moving into newer territories, while also sounding very welcome amongst everything else.

Terrific debut and an exciting advancement on a genre that I thought I had worked out. It's not all there yet, but this specific blend of sounds is one that I really dig. Gets some very enthusiastic approval from me.

• 2 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01949 - Panzer Dragoon II Zwei "Lagi's Takeoff"