Mario RPG Smithy Part 1 Metal Remix

jabond23

Here's my current WIP for the first part of the Smithy Battle at the end of Super Mario RPG from the SNES. Its one of my all time fav games and i love how epic the theme is. I still have a little tweaking to do, but i'm concerned with the production.

If anyone wants to include something of their own to this mix, i'd be cool with that. Just let me know.

stats.png

I think I've told you this before, Joe, but the velocities on the drums should definitely be tweaked lol... If you want I could do the drum programming for you, just let me know.

Some more orchestration would be nice too, and possibly a guitar solo. More original material would be nice as well. I'll probably have to listen to this a few more times though.

as always jabond, I like your guitars. I agree with TheKrow that the drums would definitely benefit from velocity tweakage, give it more of that human feel.

But....I will also admit, drum programming is my weakest area so I understand how tedious it can feel. (to me at least)

I will also agree about more orchestration, also I think some of those strings should be brought up a little up more into the mix.

Other than that, diggin the song thus far

This review may be a little biased, because this isn't really my type of music, but I hope that the advice appears constructive still :)

The beginning was a little too echoe-y in my opinion, the guitars playing the repeated Fs and Ebs in the background are way too strong for me (and I think the sound may be a little off the beat as well), and the supposed melody line fades a little too far into the background as a result. The frantic drumming definitely quite a bit of work in terms of velocities (but I think you've settled that problem already, so that's fine). I also found the fade out at the ending too anticlimatic as well.

It's a pretty good arrangement though, so good job.

Irrelevant, but I keep thinking the guitars are saying "mun mun mun", which can get a little distracting.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, i took a little longer with this update. I got a PS3 and have been playing Modern Warfare 2 A LOT. LEVEL 36 baby!!

Anyways. I added more orchestration and a made the break in the middle a little longer with a guitar solo. I think its a little more well balanced, but i'll let you guys decide that. I think it sounds quite epic now.

Click here to listen to NintenJoe 64 - Smithy Is Going Down (Super Mario RPG Smithy Battle Part 1).mp3

Alright, listening now, here are my critiques:

Bass needs more dirt. Mix the dry signal with some slight overdrive and give it a narrow boost around 1000-1500 to bring out the attack. I think your guitars still have too much reverb on them, especially the rhythm guitars. They sound like they're being played underwater. The leads are probably ok, and changing the amount of reverb on the rhythm guitars will make them more distinct. Solo sounds great, no complaints there. The drums sound super dry while the guitars don't, so they sound like they're in different rooms. The timing sounds better, but still off a tiny bit. You've got a pretty decent track, good job!

The drums are all at max velocity, which is cool for some parts, but as it is right now would possibly give a real drummer palpitations (depending on the drummer). The velocities need to be fixed, especially in the constant double kick section.

The bass feels like most metal bassists do in the recording: mixed out. That could probably be fixed with either a little bit of OD or some volume shifts.

I agree with Austin's critiques and recommendations on the guitars. The instruments almost drown under the reverb.

The orchestration in the beginning feels overwhelming. I think they come in too loud and sudden after the lead in from the main band, I'd say to ween them in the background and then have them swell.

There's a strange effect happening from the synth in 1:51 through 2:20, but especially from 2:07 on. I think it's the alternation between melody/root note... but the root note is too short, and almost produces a fart effect. I'd say to either lower the volume on the root or let it ring a little longer, so it detracts less from the guitar once it kicks in at the very least.

So far I like this a lot, looking forward to the next version.

Yeah, my drum program, for whatever DAMN reason, won't let me change the velocities. I can do it individually, which i might end up doing for this track. I'm gonna have to re-record the rhythm guitars cause the reverb was there when i recorded them. As for the 1:51 part i'm gonna have to change the synths that play the notes. I originally had them just played by the guitar, maybe i'll go back to that. I was hoping the synth would give it more variety. I also appreciate the tips on the bass. I did a quick change with it just now and it sounds much better.

Since its almost midnight here on the east coast, i'm gonna make those changes tomorrow and repost. I think i'm gonna sub this one next.

Much better on the rhythm guitars and bass. This is sounding a lot better, here are some minor nitpicks:

-For the intro guitar, I'd cut off a lot of the low end. That way, you really get the punch when the drums and bass come in. Right now they're taking up a similar place frequency wise, so there's no real punch. You could probably boost it's highs a tiny bit, too. Also, you probably know this, but the drums in the real song come in a few beats earlier than yours does, which might also help the initial punch.

-Rhythm guitars are sounding way better without reverb, but you still might want to give them a wide boost somewhere between 1500-2000. They're a bit muffled right now and don't really have any bite. This is especially noticable when they're playing alongside the double kick, which has a ton of high end to it (leave it that way, just boost the highs on the guitars to match).

-Synth sounds pretty good, but you could try fattening it up with some chorus or the like. Play around with it, but you've got a good start there.

-Lead guitar could just use a tiny bit more on the highs, but the solo works well and sounds good.

Don't just increase the highs on the whole mix, though; the drums already have plenty, and the last thing you want to do is give them even more. Just bring out the highs in the guitars a bit so that they don't sound so muffled compared to everything else. Nice ending, too. Looking forward to hearing the next version!

Alright, i"ve made all said suggestions and this is what i came up with.

stats.png

All the little changes to do make a big difference for the end product. I also added a quick bass punch, or kick, here and there. Especially in the beginning when the drums first come in and when the guitars come in.

Sounding awesome! Now just a tiny nitpick that I would fix if it were mine, otherwise it'll take more experienced ears than my own to tell you what to change. In the intro, right when the drums come in, change the tone of the guitar from the very intro part. Bring it forward, give it more edge and make it more prominent. That's your lead during that time and it kind of gets swallowed by everything else (which was probably a result of lowering the lows on it, but that's ok, leave it just like that before the drums come in!). Maybe give it some chorus, or even just make it louder, I'm not sure. If that lead comes more forward then I think that'll really give the beginning what it needs. Other than that, good job and I'll leave this alone for others to help with :D

Alright. I made that slight EQ change to the guitar in after the intro. It does make a slight difference. The other thing i did is replayed the solo, or at least the 2nd half of it. I wasn't too thrilled with the 2nd half. It's also a little clearer now as well. Other than that, i think i'm almost ready to sub this one.

stats.png