OCR01951 - Secret of Evermore "Canine Labyrinth"

djpretzel

This is definitely Sam at his finest. I don't mean to sound unappreciative of the talent that he's shared with the community, but a lot of his mixes are so fast-paced, technical, and spastic that I have a hard time listening to them as background music. I'm happy to say that this mix is just as interesting as his others in terms of sheer talent (especially for an improv!) but it's melodic and mellow enough to provide wonderful study music. This is some of Sam's finest work, IMO, this opus should not be missed!

Also, this is my longest OCRemix that I have downloaded, it might even be the longest on the site. Good work :-P

Shnabubula is the king of piano. I haven't known about his work for very long (shame on me) but I'm really loving it. His holiday-themed piano jams on Youtube with his vocals are simply outstanding as well.

This is yet another incredible performance. You can't beat a real piano recording (unless you have a mace of +2 against pianos). I hope to hear a lot more of this kind of stuff from the Shnabubula in the future.

Secret of Evermore - Collaboration (Take 2) RTS Mix anyone?! :P

yes, i've always loved this piece, and i've had it on my walkmanphone from time to time as well, i love walking around down town or somewhere else too for that matter, listening and TRYING to analyze what must be the internet scene's most creative musician. i always fail :tomatoface:

top notch

Really pleasant work that does work well with both active or passive listening. I am completely unfamiliar with the specific source track, so i'll just assume it's well arranged, though to be honest Sam could just record himself jammin' on the piano for 8 min and i'd be very entertained.

Very good stuff, I approve. :D

Whenever I here something like this that was improvised, my brain just threatens to freeze up. Every note in it feels so deliberately placed that for one to come up with them on the fly is so, to quote Vizzini, inconceivable.

This mix serves as a reminder to me that "more than mortal" men such as Hercules and Paul Bunyan still exist today.

Most assuredly, this is a mix that belongs in every collection.

Dude! You are such an amazing piano player. You and Ronald Jenkees are the reason I decided to try my hand at the piano and I'm not gonna give up as long as you guys continue to make sweet as shit with this piece being a perfect example from you, Shnabubula. The whole time I'm just like shakin my head, snickerin, and sayin, "OH MY GOD" from the secksiness and execution of this piece. Thank you for makin me do that lol xD.

I can't believe how Shna does this. It's an enviable talent to be able to sit down and throw together an amazing piece, let alone a remix, out of nowhere. Loving this all the way through.

Am I the only one feeling almost a little bit of FFX piano tracks in here? I don't know if it's the tone of the piano or what, but I'm getting that vibe, oddly enough.

This is definitely Sam at his finest. I don't mean to sound unappreciative of the talent that he's shared with the community, but a lot of his mixes are so fast-paced, technical, and spastic that I have a hard time listening to them as background music.

That's cause they ain't background music! They're "listenin'" music.

This mix is great. I will try to edit with more thoughts later.

I have to be honest - I don't like improv generally. I also have a hard time recognizing anything that sounds like something from Secret of Evermore.

There's a lot of proficiency on display here though, as one can expect from Shnab. At the very least, it's hard not to enjoy the skillful playing that he brings to the table, and with a large degree of coherency maintained in this 8 min piece.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Superb. I played SoE just past when I was able to warp from place/time to another. I'm not sure I remember this jive from the game? I have an idea, but... If it wasn't so in-depth, i might have remembered it later. Very good sir. Better than alot from Chick Corea and Herbie Hancock, I think. It pains me to think that the ill folks that actaully care and acknowledge for great game compositions, prolly work unloading trucks or washing dishes; answering phones; placing orders? You should have a career in music composition or preformance. I hope ye' do.

• 2 months later...

Whoa.

I didn't even realize this was posted until now. I blame traveling across USA forever in December.

Anyway... This has always been my favorite song by Sam... For years. I am so glad you guys upped the size limit for this amazing song to finally be posted. It was on Tha Sauce for years.

The intro to this song is just amazing... When he finally gets to the real meat at 1:20, I just die every time. This song really means a lot to me, so I am glad that it has been brought to a broader audience. It's also a song now that brings me back to a very different time of my life, when everything about it seemed so up in the air, and in a haze. Makes me a little sad actually.

5:40 - 5:44 really strike me every time. Everything there is so powerful and moving. Then, everything after just slowly takes me back down, not to earth, but off somewhere, and then leaves me there to contemplate...

Best piano song on the site now.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Wooo, boy, this was a long one. But for good reason. The piano was nicely built up and the playing was nicely done. I didn't hear any production issues and the arrangement was nice. This ReMix could really be good for listening to while reading. Excellent.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01951 - Secret of Evermore "Canine Labyrinth"