who's that noob?

HoboKa

This noob has a revised, rather liberal mix to share - dunno if I intend to submit this or not, what do you guys think of this?

link: http://www.fileupyours.com/view/218181/SM_Remix_Various%20Crap_verB1.mp3

(by the way, it';s super metroid, with various themes)

Update 3 (sorry too lazy to put 2 up here =p)

http://www.fileupyours.com/view/218181/SM_Medley_Metroid_Mess_verB33_Major%20Edit.mp3

Update 4

http://www.mediafire.com/?ucoz1tnjyqm

This noob has a revised, rather liberal mix to share - dunno if I intend to submit this or not, what do you guys think of this?

link: http://www.fileupyours.com/view/218181/SM_Remix_Various%20Crap_verB1.mp3

(by the way, it';s super metroid, with various themes)

The water sounds kinda fake... but I like the feeling in the beginning.

I totally do not think you should submit as long as you have that stupid name for the mix. Make a real name for the mix. xD Seriously, I think it would be a huge turn off for the judges.

I'm totally liking the arrangement... but it might suffer a BIT from medly-itis... at 1:42 it sounded like I was listening to a totally different song, but that's the only place I found a problem.

3:00 = I LIKE, YO.

I can say you're a lot better than me in terms of arrangement. xD

Especially your drums, you need to teach me how to make good drum patterns. I suck at writing drum patterns. :(

Overall I like how this one sounds. The sounds all really work well together and the production is really quite good. Here are some things I noticed though:

agreed on the water sound, actually it doesn't sound as fake as much as it sounds like it should be in a yoga relaxation soundtrack :<

When the drums come in I wish the snare would be a bit more snappy. Overall the drums in this section don't match the quality of the rest of the instruments for me. I think you want the drums to sit a little more quietly in this section though, so the adjustment would be slight methinks.

Actually overall the snare just doesn't punch well enough for me. There are places where the hihats cut through the mix more than the snare. The reverb on the drums sounds a bit cheap as well. They sound more "fill with air" rather than "filled with epicness". Try to put a tiny bit of chorus on them, or whatever you need to dirty them up just enough to sound a little nicer.

Also, at around 4:40 I think one of your notes lags a bit. It sounds out of place and I don't believe this was intentional.

The mix kind of peters out for me too. It's 5 minutes, so that's a good length. I guess I just had hoped the song would go to another place.

THAT SAID, I think that alot of the sounds are great. I think your production is good enough that the advice I'm giving you will be taken to heart. Hopefully it's helpful!

thanks guys :D that's cool Doni, bout time some1 lives near me =p

I agree with the water and drum issues, I'll fix those. The actual transitional problems will be a toughie since I have over 9000 tracks in this compo - typical of me - I know. That's the problem with using soundfonts - you gotta layer them a lot to make them sound more convincing T-T

But I think I will actually put in some effort on this one lol.

The water sounds kinda fake... but I like the feeling in the beginning.

I totally do not think you should submit as long as you have that stupid name for the mix. Make a real name for the mix. xD Seriously, I think it would be a huge turn off for the judges.

I'm totally liking the arrangement... but it might suffer a BIT from medly-itis... at 1:42 it sounded like I was listening to a totally different song, but that's the only place I found a problem.

3:00 = I LIKE, YO.

I can say you're a lot better than me in terms of arrangement. xD

Especially your drums, you need to teach me how to make good drum patterns. I suck at writing drum patterns. :(

I can give you some of my drum patterns in midi data if you're dying to get them.

Also I can see the meddly-itis being a problem - that's my biggest concern with most of my tracks it seems - I still need to refine that transitional thing.

be a toughie since I have over 9000 tracks in this compo - typical of me - I know. That's the problem with using soundfonts - you gotta layer them a lot to make them sound more convincing T-T

But I think I will actually put in some effort on this one lol.

*cough*SOUNDGOODIZER*cough*

I can give you some of my drum patterns in midi data if you're dying to get them.

Also I can see the meddly-itis being a problem - that's my biggest concern with most of my tracks it seems - I still need to refine that transitional thing.

No, I mean just teach me how to make fitting drums. xD I don't want HoboKa drums, I want Neblix drums influenced by HoboKa.

update:

http://www.fileupyours.com/view/218181/SM_Medley_Metroid_Mess_verB2.mp3

changes:

added bassline for first segment

made drums more punchy

balanced out EQ more on certain areas

Edited out the last segment, because it was sorta going overboard imo.

What I'd like to change is...

the transition. how can i go about it without massacring my whole piece??

Hey, that's a really good mix you got there.

The background atmosphere is done really well, maybe a little too well, because it made some parts of the melody sounds empty, especially the piano layer around 2:35. I think the repeated drum strikes around 3:31 could do with a bit of variation in velocity, possibly building up towards the richer melody line which follows it immediately after. I'm hoping that's not the proper end of the mix, because it's far too abrupt in my opinion.

Honestly speaking, I'm not too familiar with Super Metroid music, and to me the transition didn't seem that bad (I assume you're talking about 1:42?), although I guess you could make it flow better by introducing a similar element previously present in the early section again, right after the gong, maybe a bit of bass, or following up with a similar rhythm in one of the instruments, if that makes any sense to you.

update:

http://www.fileupyours.com/view/218181/SM_Medley_Metroid_Mess_verB2.mp3

changes:

added bassline for first segment

made drums more punchy

balanced out EQ more on certain areas

Edited out the last segment, because it was sorta going overboard imo.

What I'd like to change is...

the transition. how can i go about it without massacring my whole piece??

I'm not sure how I feel about the bass when it comes in. I'd rather the drums come in clean and for you to add the drums in later.

drums more punchy, check. I'd love the bassdrum to cut through the mix a bit more. You might try layering another kick underneath.

The transition: try putting a bit of reverb and delay on that build sound and carry it over to the next section a bit more. Might sound a bit cleaner but it doesn't sound bad.

At around 3:54 there is a drum hit that doesn't sync quite right. It's out by a millisec or two hahah 

Edited the last part out, ok, but now the song just kind of ends... semi-abruptly. I think this one is good though. It is kind of varied though. Less songlike and more like mood music... but that's the plague of the source a bit isn't it? the music in metroid is mostly background-esque kind of stuff, so it's hard to work into a "song type" remix. This isn't a problem unless you want to submit this one though, I think

Hey, that's a really good mix you got there.

The background atmosphere is done really well, maybe a little too well, because it made some parts of the melody sounds empty, especially the piano layer around 2:35. I think the repeated drum strikes around 3:31 could do with a bit of variation in velocity, possibly building up towards the richer melody line which follows it immediately after. I'm hoping that's not the proper end of the mix, because it's far too abrupt in my opinion.

Honestly speaking, I'm not too familiar with Super Metroid music, and to me the transition didn't seem that bad (I assume you're talking about 1:42?), although I guess you could make it flow better by introducing a similar element previously present in the early section again, right after the gong, maybe a bit of bass, or following up with a similar rhythm in one of the instruments, if that makes any sense to you.

Actually a lot of stuff in my mix needs velocity tweaking - that includes the drums :D, it's still pretty rough I guess.

And yeah that 'ending' will be followed by something a bit extra.

Also, I've tried adding elements in the previous segment to the second, but all attempts sounded god awful. I think that's the meddly-itis effect haha. In all earnesty, I could probably live without the first segment and have this tract start at 1:42. Would that work out better?

As for the atmosphere and empty melody stuff - I'm not too concerned about that yet, because the production over all is rough lol.

I'm not sure how I feel about the bass when it comes in. I'd rather the drums come in clean and for you to add the drums in later.

drums more punchy, check. I'd love the bassdrum to cut through the mix a bit more. You might try layering another kick underneath.

The transition: try putting a bit of reverb and delay on that build sound and carry it over to the next section a bit more. Might sound a bit cleaner but it doesn't sound bad.

At around 3:54 there is a drum hit that doesn't sync quite right. It's out by a millisec or two hahah 

Edited the last part out, ok, but now the song just kind of ends... semi-abruptly. I think this one is good though. It is kind of varied though. Less songlike and more like mood music... but that's the plague of the source a bit isn't it? the music in metroid is mostly background-esque kind of stuff, so it's hard to work into a "song type" remix. This isn't a problem unless you want to submit this one though, I think

Noted all the points. But most warranting of attention is the drum mishap - which was actually intended, but now that I hear it, it is kinda ugly. That's what I get for trying to be too creative sometimes lol.

And yeah, SM is cursed with atmospheric music and not very melody driven stuff - except for a few pieces like the battle music, green brinstar and lower norfair.

Oh and the reverb idea with the transition is actually pretty clever - only thing I gotta do is ensure that it doesn't bleed into the rest of the mix too much :D

New update!! Major changes and I also killed a lot of that meddly-itis going on, thereby saving me the hassle of transitional issues.

http://www.fileupyours.com/view/218181/SM_Medley_Metroid_Mess_verB33_Major%20Edit.mp3

Oh and it's not done yet - I'm thinking I can squeeze 2 mins or so of other material. I'll try my best not to meander like my usual remixes =p

And yeah, SM is cursed with atmospheric music and not very melody driven stuff - except for a few pieces like the battle music, green brinstar and lower norfair.

There's a certain dragon's battle music... Really atmospheric. :P

Source is btw is phrygian, so it has a note one seminote up from the root. I didn't hear you hinting at it, which made me expect it to happen later, as part of a buildup. it didn't. If you'd change your backing rhythm (the two low piano notes) by moving the second one up a seminote from ca 1:02 or wherever you'd get a sense of progression from it (tho you'd probably have to update the saw rhythm you've got at 1:12 to use it there too or it'd clash).

Some of the percussion seem like they could use a touch of reverb, esp in the intro.

Has a very dry sound, dunno what the judges would think of that. Some fills seem malplaced (like 1:34, feels like it should either be one step back (intro to 1:30) or a few steps forward).

You've got a really cool snare roll in there, the one at 1:10, but the one at 1:48 sounds like it's not done yet.

The ending sounds like it could be building up to a final big epic single-note finish, or to a next section, and either would work imo. This ain't bad, but the sound quality and some detracting hobokaisms would need some fixing if it is to pass, that's my guess. It suffers some mechanicalness, but I'll just assume that's yet to be dealt with.