You know what would be a great idea? Avant-garde remixes!

EC2151

Yes, you heard me! Bring the artsy-shmartsy intellectual world of 20-21st century music to the highly popular realm of video-game music and video-remixes!

Just think of the possibilities that await the intrepid explorer into the new world of New Music!

You can...

Recreate the Super Mario World theme song in the style of the Second Viennese School, complete with swelling brass dissonances, poignant silences, and tone rows overlaying the simple melodies!

Use Cagean chance operations to bring something like the Final Fantasy Prelude into the new millenium, interspersing being and non-being, music and silence, noise and noise, all into one cacophonous blend that swells to the very limits of life itself!

Or how about...

Boulezian Total Serialism as a way to reinterpret the classic Zelda theme! Hyrule will never be the same!

Reichian Minimalism or maybe even Partian Holy Minimalism to break down the scores of Donkey Kong Country or Castlevania into their most basic and core sounds!

The wide range of possibilities lie there, just waiting for the adventurous and bold remixer, not hampered by past or tradition, to bring these dreams into reality! So how about it, OCR? Does this just not seem to be the opportunity of a life-time???

I've been working on a free tonality shadow temple WIP for a few weeks, but I've also been thinking about maybe experimenting with tone rows. It's hard to find a balance I like, plus it's a style I've never done before, but I'm still finding it a rewarding experience. I'll post it once it's listenable. But first you need to calm down.

I've never heard of tone rows being pitched so enthusiastically as a gimmick :D

Holy moly people actually posted in this thread!

I agree that non-conventional song selection would be pretty cool, with lesser-known games (and even more well known games... Fire Emblem anyone?), but then again, I thought "Hey, why not pitch something conventional?"

Anyway, my definition of avant-garde in this community has always been "Shnabubula."

Hardly avant-garde. He doesn't push genre limits. That's talent, pure and simple.

If I had to think of a remixer offhand to fit this lack of a mold, I'd go with ilp0. I seriously doubt he's broken any new genres, but he's defied convention numerous times.

Also, EC, check yourself before starting such an ambitious thread. Mazedude did a solid interpretation of Aqua Lake Zone in the spirit of Reichian minimalism (specifically of 18 Musicians). And that remix - and that remixer - is not the first to delve into new or challenging territory.

I have no problem with the request, but I want to point out that ocr doesn't have a complete dearth of innovative remixes.

Here's a (relatively) avant-guard remix that was it the WIP forums a while back on Tinker-Town from WOW. It's pretty good - check it out.

Actually, I don't know what people mean by 'Avant-guard' - it's supposed to mean the front of what's being produced today (sound-art being pretty up there, along with advanced timbre focused music), but most often people actually mean music that uses Forte-like set models for the music (which is over 100 years old). The example above is the latter in design.

I more or less wanted it to mean unconventional means of remixing a song, like using serialism, atonality, and the like.

In a sense, I liken it with 'modern' music, ie, things created in the last 100 years of development, which a lot can sound quite nice.

Whilst people generally think of weird unbearable shit when they ponder upon the terminology. The "Who Cares if You Listen?" type of stuff.

• 4 weeks later...