My Gift to You... The Cetera Algorithm

Souliarc

Boring... it's just slightly better stereo sound.

This is BETTER than surround sound as it's exactly how you hear things with your own ears. You can't tell things are behind you or above you with stereo, and there is no harshness with the panning in the headphones. Even with surround sound, you'd need an infinite number of speakers completely surrounding you in order to exactly recreate the way we hear sound.

hdphx uses the same type of concept.

You get your aural bearings (sense of where a sound is coming from) from your brain detecting the slight differences in time arrival of a sound wave to each ear. The Cetera algorithm puts the delay in use for things like hearing aids.

Holy crap, that's cool. I've listened to this 3 times already and can't get over how accurate it is. I really wish more audio was done this way.

I am very surprised there hasn't been music recorded this way and had the algorithm applied. Granted, a typical band is front of house, but it would still be an amazing experience especially for electronic and organic sounds.

I don't get how this is different from having two mics spaced six inches apart

They are about six inches apart, but when you just listen back to the recording with headphones without the algorithm, you still have the presence of the headphones. The algorithm basically gets rid of the presence of the "speakers" right next to your ear, which is why it is used for hearing aids.

Cool stuff! I actually felt a tingling sensation at the part with the razor.

That feeling is insane! It makes me put my hands on the headphones to try and protect my ears. I actually had a friend who had to stop at the razor part because it really got to him. He threw off my headphones and ran out of the room. He had a lot of paranormal things happen when he was younger... might've been cause by that.

All I'm hearing is slightly fancier stereo. I didn't get any of this "amazing" up or down changes, or distance, or any of that.

Yes, I used headphones. Yes, I had them plugged in, no, they are not damages (I tried it with two different pairs) and no, I don't have any hearing damage, so you can stop right there.

I think this is all about the power of suggestion. You read that's it supposed to be awesome first, and you believe it. I didn't read any of the page's text first, and I didn't get anything out of it. Only afterwards did I understand what it was supposed to do. And it didn't.

You can say how awesome it was all you want, but it doesn't really do anything. Techno-babble and self-induced hype, that's all it seems to be.

All I'm hearing is slightly fancier stereo. I didn't get any of this "amazing" up or down changes, or distance, or any of that.

Yes, I used headphones. Yes, I had them plugged in, no, they are not damages (I tried it with two different pairs) and no, I don't have any hearing damage, so you can stop right there.

I think this is all about the power of suggestion. You read that's it supposed to be awesome first, and you believe it. I didn't read any of the page's text first, and I didn't get anything out of it. Only afterwards did I understand what it was supposed to do. And it didn't.

You can say how awesome it was all you want, but it doesn't really do anything. Techno-babble and self-induced hype, that's all it seems to be.

I had a listen to this haircut dealeo without any information before hand. Just "listen to this". So you can scratch out the power of suggestion in my case. Some people may be more inclined to say "this is sweet" if they have been told it is, the power of suggestion always operates to a different degree with different people. However, I was wowed by my trip to the "virtual barber" based purely on my experience there. Pretty neato!

If you heard some slightly fancier stereo, then you did hear something different. That difference may leave a bigger impression on some people than others for any number of reasons. If something is hyped up, I know I will have a tendancy to dismiss it as no big deal before even experiencing it, in most circumstances anyway. It's part of my conditioned reaction to things that are hyped up. That may be a little of what is going on for some people.

And hey, if you don't hear anything worth fussing over, then that's just how it is.

Did I mention it was awesome? ;-)

Geez, you seem so bitter :P Unfortunately, I guess all it will be is techno-babble and self-induced hype to you.

I, and many others can personally vogue for the different way this sounds. There is a CLEAR distinction between stereo and what the algorithm provides. Like I said, it provides the brain with the necessary information to ignore the presence of the headphones. That is the biggest part. Clearly different from hearing two harsh "speakers" next to your ears. Just last night I had three different friends look around and behind them when they heard this. I didn't even explain what it was before I let them listen to it, to avoid the placebo effect. The reaction I have gotten from people is INSANE and could never happen with a typical stereo recording.

..maybe

have you?!?

......... maybe ;)

If something is hyped up, I know I will have a tendancy to dismiss it as no big deal before even experiencing it, in most circumstances anyway. It's part of my conditioned reaction to things that are hyped up. That may be a little of what is going on there.

I am the same way. It is very hard to ignore this tendency.

Did I mention it was awesome? ;-)

When the guitar plays and telephone rings it sounds like it is behind, up, and to the left. Love it!

other words

I have to admit that I was unable to distinguish any other directionality but left and right until the narrative basically told me exactly where the sound was coming from. To me having the razor cross from behind my head and over the top sounded exactly alike and I only noticed any difference once the guy explained what he was doing. The only reason I placed the phone behind me is because it wouldn't make sense for it to be ahead of me at a barbershop when there's usually a mirror-wall there. With a bit of imaginative willpower I was able to move every object from behind me to my front.

>_>