Dante's Inferno

Schwaltzvald

So upon noticing its demo on the PSN I decided to try it out.

So far I actually liked Dante's Inferno

Art's pretty good and the animated bits reminded me of Metalocalypse but more importantly the gameplay, while may just be a rip off of Devil May Cry/God of War, is still quite entertaining.

I will say there are some quick time events such as gaining control of one of the huge monstrosities that come in, but right after that I can pretty much trounce anything seemingly; though I would miss out gaining points to help improve either the scythe or the cross as far as I see. More of an opportunity to up the difficulty the way I see it. :lol: Overall, perhaps the balance between quicktime events and actual gameplay will be good this time around for those that rage about them.

Another thing I do find interesting though are the Divine and Death Editions of the game...

The PlayStation 3 will be exclusively receiving the Divine Edition of Dante's Inferno. This will be the only available version for the PlayStation 3. Along with the actual game, it will include developer commentaries, a Wayne Barlow digital art book, the game's soundtrack, the Dark Forest PDLC pack FREE (available March), and a digital copy of the complete Longfellow translation of Dante Alighieri's Inferno. This edition costs the same as the standard edition.

Also avaliable will be the Death Edition which will include the contents of the "Devine" edition plus player costume for Isaac Clarke from Dead Space. The Death Edition will only be released in Europe.

Curiously why is the death edition only available in Europe, not only that, why add in a new player costume for Isaac from Dead Space of all games..? Perhaps it's just that it's an EA published game but still...

I wonder if they'll stay true to the book and have just 9 levels. That would be cool if the levels were long enough and each level had the correct types of punishment. I don't remember what they are but I think it was something like a certain type of sinner goes to a certain level of hell and endures a type of punishment specific to that level. If that wasn't MADE to be a video game, I don't know what is.

I wonder if they'll stay true to the book and have just 9 levels. That would be cool if the levels were long enough and each level had the correct types of punishment. I don't remember what they are but I think it was something like a certain type of sinner goes to a certain level of hell and endures a type of punishment specific to that level. If that wasn't MADE to be a video game, I don't know what is.

As far as what the demo gave away, the game is "loosely based" around Dante Alighieri's works, nonetheless this Dante will go through all 9 Circles of Hell; I don't see why they wouldn't utilize certain sections that are within the Seventh Circle (Violence), the Eight Circle (Fraud) and the Ninth Circle (Treason)...

*Edit

To those that choose to look for demo gameplay/entire demo gameplaythrough etcetera on youtube, it's NSFW due to partial nudity. Be aware of it...

Seriously people need to get over seeing breasts, nonetheless I have no doubt people will complain regardless.

Schwaltzvald, just wanted to chip in my two cents; the Issac Clarke costume is probably in there because Dante's Inferno is being developed by the same studio within EA that did Dead Space. It doesn't seem like EA is shoehorning the guy in there for no reason, but rather Visceral Games (Formerly EA Redwood Shores) wanted to plug their other franchise :)

Either way, it stinks that only Europe gets it. Ah well...least I'm a PS3 owner, so I actually *GET* a special edition at all, eh?

it stinks that only Europe gets it. Ah well...least I'm a PS3 owner, so I actually *GET* a special edition at all, eh?

Considering how often Europeans get shafted out of a lot of things when it comes to games, I'll say it's fair for now. Besides as far as the article goes, that's the only extra thing they added within the "Death Edition" of DI; other then that it's the same as the Divine Edition.

Didn't think about that. They *do* get shafted a lot, don't they?

I know I feel sorry for 'em when I jump onto my European PSN account every week only to see the things that were released the week prior popping up on there.

I can't actually think of any other European exclusives, now that I think about it.

I have been looking forward to Dante's infero since it was announced as a CONCEPT. So yeah, it's been a super long time. I'm happy to see how really great this game has come along, and I'm looking forward to trying the demo and buying it. I have an xbox360 and like Europeans, we get shafted sometimes. And my gold ran out. *sigh* But I have enough 48 hour trials to last me for as long as I need, I suppose. At least long enough to download this demo if its gold exclusive.

And here I thought this was an actual discussion about The Inferno itself, aw man...

I am intrigued by this game (despite not having a PS3), and am highly curious how it will go about things. I wonder what you do in Limbo... talk to the spirits of dead poets? The boss fight is with... Horace?

The lower levels promise to be fun in terms of video games... Though exploration in hell might not be all that great.

If you read the Inferno, the only direction they ever go in is left, left, left.

Then again, 'loosely based'...

It'd be mad cool to fight Malacoda and his cadre of demons (like the now-famous cruel Scarlimignione, dog-like Cagnazzo, mad Rubicante, and vicious Barbariccia).

Every game with a third person perspective and a weapon other than a gun is said to be ripping off God of War anymore. Get over it already. This stuff has been done even before God of War. :P

Pretty much, heck Berserk - Chapter of the Millenium Falcon had this, and before that Devil May Cry 1/2/3/4.

Also would you believe that I've NEVER played a GoW game..?

The comparison between GoW and Dante's Inferno is warranted.

I don't think it's necessarily a "rip off" but Visceral certainly tips their hat at God of War's gameplay heavily, mimicking GoW's staple gameplay almost exactly.

After playing the demo, this game's style and look (outside of cutscenes and the story) feels -very- similar to God of War's, even down to the style of the 3D environments and the way the camera works therein. Animations and movement in general also have a similar feel. Additionally, the way you take down large enemies is exactly the same, with the instanced QTEs, which are done almost exactly the same. The slow motion effect is also there. The upgrade system for new moves.

Hey, GoW was fun, so more games with this kind of established play style will be enjoyable.

It was pretty fun during my play through, although, I did kind of chuckle when you first meet the Grim Reaper (or whatever that was)... or rather how you meet him. Seriously... lull... AXE! haha.

Every game with a third person perspective and a weapon other than a gun is said to be ripping off God of War anymore.

Perhaps, but this time it's a bit more true. I can play Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry, Heavenly Sword, Kingdom Hearts and many others without feeling God of War deja vu. There are enough unique qualities to each of them that set them apart. Dante's Inferno offers a new setting, but so much of the rest feels almost directly pulled from God of War that it's hard for me to ignore.

So they have very similar combat? No biggie.

And they're both set in some type of mythology? I can live with that. It makes for some epic set pieces.

Both feature a big, tough protagonist with a shameful past bent on challenging the gods and demons in their own domains? Well ... ok, but that could describe quite a few video game protagonists.

Fixation on brutality and nudity? Check.

New weapons are taken from conquered bosses? Check.

New magical abilities are bestowed periodically by characters from the mythological setting? Check.

Larger enemies that you beat into submission, mount and then use against their allies? Check.

Quicktime events for epic finishing moves? Check.

Chests (or "fountains" in this case) that contain health and mana which you must button mash to open? Check-ity check check.

I'm not even saying that this makes it a bad game. Their inspiration source may be obvious, but God of War is a game well worth copying. And Dante's Inferno could throw in some very original gameplay ideas further in for all I know. If the reviews are positive, I'll definitely be giving it a rental.

This stuff has been done even before God of War. :P

Obviously. And if I felt Dante's Inferno were ripping off any of those previous games, I would say so. But Dante's Inferno feels so very, very similar to God of War specifically that there's no point to bringing up any of the others.

Also would you believe that I've NEVER played a GoW game..?

Man, you're missing out! Excellent games.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...