Need Help With LMMS!

SonicSynthesis

I've just downloaded the program and started to make a small tune to try it out. This is the first time i've really tried midi sequencing. I've only been using the bass editor so far and i've added 3 tracks, but only one of them is producing sound. They're not muted or anything. Also the lights on screen are showing that the instruments are in fact playing, but there's just no sound. I have no idea what i'm doing wrong. Here's a screenshot of my current state. Hopefully someone can tell me what i've done wrong by looking at the pic. Ask me if you need any specifics on what i've done so far.

lmmshelp.png?t=1260814762

Let me know if the pic isn't showing up

Shot in the dark here, since I'm not familiar with LMMS. Do you maybe need to set the outputs on the tracks that aren't producing sound? Usually in a DAW individual tracks will send their audio to a master fader which will send the combined audio to the speakers. If the tracks aren't set to go to the master, you won't hear them.

A couple more shots in the dark, and the first is one of those obvious things that I wouldn't think of could be wrong, but...

Have you set an instrument on those tracks? As in, is there an instrument assigned to the track/track routed to an instrument? Dunno how LMMS handles VSTi and other instruments.

Another possibility would be midi channels, but that shouldn't be a problem if you're writing the notes yourself and the problem is getting any sound out of the tracks, not just that it doesn't play some tracks on an imported midi. I have no idea how you would check and fix this in LMMS, and I doubt this is it, but worth mentioning if nothing else solves it.

In LMMS there's a light on each track that flashes when a note is played. These are flashing which means the instrument is definitely playing, there's just no sound being produced. It's weird because i managed to get 2 out of 3 tracks producing sound when i began and now all of a sudden the second track stopped. Maybe my computers just crap. Well actually my computer is pretty crap. It's quite old and Souliarc mentioned something about my CPU peaking. Is that to do with me having a crap computer?

I am definitely not verse in the program but I do see a few things.

Somehow, you able to plot notes beyond the step sequencers "steps", the gray blocks. I couldn't even recreate that. That could be part of the problem. Try deleting, and recreating those tracks, but not til after you try my next suggestion.

Also, and maybe even more relevant, the blue bar in the song editor window that actually designates if a track is going to play, I think it's too short. It's only across two measures. Your notes for the bottom two tracks don't start til around the 5th measure.

I gotta leave work now though! Good luck.

• 2 months later...