Let's talk about OverClocked ReMix music videos.

Less Ashamed Of Self

Ok, so, I recently acquired the ability with a new camera to shoot decent quality video footage and I've been listening to a lot of ocr's on my phone... and now I can't seem to stop thinking about ocr music videos.

Do any of you know of any existing ocrmv's? One's that aren't just Final Fantasy or anime footage but actually independently shot footage for the purpose of matching the song? Have any remixers taken on this task for any of their own songs? Maybe a cool collaborative effort could make something like this happen.

Here's one of sorts.

Yup, that makes one. Pretty cool that it's a collab piece showing the instruments ACTUALLY set to the music too; even if the picture in picture, and n64 footage stuff is a little corny.

Just for fun I am going to guess you got a T1i...

Same camera I took the picture of my sig with; my nikon d90. It can take 780p videos at 780 x 1280... and considering the audio for a music video would be a post production thing, the fact that it's a crappy mono mic in it wouldn't really matter so much. ;)

I was waiting to see how many posts it would take before the worst possible suggestion appeared.

Looks like 3.

EDIT: I would have also accepted Music Of My Groin or Toyota Disco

Would you have accepted Liontamer and the Scuba Divers?

If you are going to do a video, do us all a favor. Do THAT one.

Yes, I think Music Video DOES Rhyme with Elixer!

Shit, there's gotta be someone here with the talent and gear to pull it off.

*Looks around* *shyly raises hand*.

This kind of stuff is exactly what I'm in school for. I got a perfect 100% grade in my Lighting class, I won Best Editor at the in-house movie competition this year, and the department chair got me into the Who's Who Among Students in American Universities & Colleges for 2010 (not exactly sure what that means, but I guess it's supposed to be a big deal).

If I had a decent crew and a vision for what a video would look like, I'm pretty sure I could pull it off something pretty nice. The school even lets its students check out professional film making gear for our personal projects too.

Same camera I took the picture of my sig with; my nikon d90. It can take 780p videos at 780 x 1280... and considering the audio for a music video would be a post production thing, the fact that it's a crappy mono mic in it wouldn't really matter so much. ;)

I GOT AN HD CAMERA!! PICK ME TO DO A MUSIC VIDEO OF RHYMES WITH ELIXER!!

But no seriously, I want to be on board with this. It has a stereo mic on it, but it too is a tad crappy, but I do have a shotgun mic lurking about my house somewhere, which can interface with it.

Also I have vision too, so this could definetly work if we all sat down and did a brainstorm session.

I'm a big fan of music videos in general; anything by Michel Gondry or Spike Lee, I also like Chris Cunningham, David LaChapelle and others. I did a music video for a vgm tune (Jet Set Radio) tune back in 2002 for a video editing/compositing class I was taking at the time, it was a lot of fun but the end result was an embarassingly amateur effort.

Have any remixers taken on this task for any of their own songs?

I've thought a lot about it. Most of the I had were either shockingly corny (e.g. Day's End) or require too much time/effort/etc.

Recently however, I've been experimenting with music visualisation/animation (i.e.

), and the idea of applying these techniques to my remixes is something I'm considering.

cheers.

LAOS, you need to bring Diotrans and Sinwav in on this, for it will be glorious!!

So far I have sorta worked out DA's part in a video for Rhymes with Elixer.

It would require blue body paint, dry ice, bikinis, and a slow pan from the floor up.

:3

We all know when Brushfire gets involved with things, it turns out hilariously awesome. And by that I mean, its funny AND awesome. Best combo ever.

I too like this whole idea of a music video though. And I vote brushfire for videocamera man. hahaha

Oh yeah, I should also mention that I have basic lighting + video equipment, so if it was needed, I could shoot footage of whatever and send it to whoever to be edited. Though I'm still a n00b at the video stuff, so it would probably be better if this were done in person as a collaborative effort with others to help with the equip, etc. (I'd love to learn more about video in every aspect, actually.)

Also, while I suck at choreography, I'd absolutely love to be a part of a dance choreographed by somebody else, if there's a choreographer out there who wanted to get involved in all this and people wanted to have dancing in the video. Though that may be over-estimating my dance ability.

Wow I am so self-confident about my skills!!! :tomatoface:

Also, while I suck at choreography, I'd absolutely love to be a part of a dance choreographed by somebody else, if there's a choreographer out there who wanted to get involved in all this and people wanted to have dancing in the video.

Doesn't Taucer do stuff like this? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else. I remember that someone here teaches gymnastics and has come up with routines set to remixes before.

I actually did a music video for 'With the Quickness' with a shit-ton of mega man footage back in high school. I think it would be kind of fun to make one now, though I'm not sure I have the time. But if you think about it, music videos are just about the only thing left that OCR doesn't have. It would be kind of funny, though, if there were music videos that went along with mixes posted on the site for special occasions like Halloween, since there would be time to plan a mix and a video to go with it. It would be over the top, and definitely not every track would warrant a video, but I think some people would definitely get a kick out of it, if the videos were creative and went with the song in an entertaining way. Easier said than done, though.

I suppose if ocr music videos got judged and posted on their own, like mixes do, people could make a video for any song that's on the site. Hosting would be a problem, though, even with h264 compression, since I'm not sure if just relying on youtube would be a good idea. I think the two songs that deserve a music video no matter what is pretty obvious though. Team Gato, and I GOT THE SPACE BEAM, YEAH. Don't tell me that wouldn't be awesome.

DrumUltima and I were working out a skit for a convention (Specifically ConnectiCon, which we were attending at the time) for Rhymes with Elixer. We figured out most of the costumes (Pimp with a gold chocobo feather/bling, Trenchcoat for Tonberry, etc), but I think we both knew it wasn't going to happen. Maybe the OCR panel...

I've had an idea for a modestly cheesy, self-centered music video surrounding Starman (Don't Lose Yourself) where a man is basically constantly walking toward the camera in various places, including outer space (it may include some floating flight..). The scene changes with every bass kick.

I just visualized this, and it was awesome. Could be VERY cool.

Another brainwave:

Seems like people here respond decently to compo's. (FBRC 2009 was a good example) I have a hunch that a "Hot Out The Oven OverClocked ReMix Music Video Challenge"...or something.. really any sort of community music video creating event...would bring people out of the woodwork and join in... We have some incredible creativity and talent in this community, I am already kind of excited to think about what some people could come up with. If something like this happened, there could also be a DVD release...

HOTOOCRMVC 2009. It's got that ring to it...:tomatoface: