Something that's been a pain in the ass... Differing tempi in a song... Help please

EC2151

This is something that is becoming a real drag in my FL using experience. Even after asking a guy who is pretty knowledgeable in the whole affair, and having HIM give me instructions, I still can't figure it out. By the way, tempi (tempo) is the same as BPM, I believe (essentially), for anyone unaware.

Basically, how do you utilize playlists to have different sections of your song have different tempi?

I know it has something to do with having one section of the song set as "Set as Init Position", but getting the other playlists to have different tempi is having me tear my hair out in frustration.

Can anyone give me a step-by-step process on how to do this? Please?

I would be very grateful for any and all help, and I thank you in advance.

I'm trying to piece together pieces of a song, each section of the song having a different tempo.

I don't necessarily mean pattern, in a loop-sense, but rather, each part of the playlist would be a different part of the song, all strung together.

Unless I am completely going about this the wrong way.

Easiest way I think would be to have a set of patterns for tempo changes, just make a bunch of patterns and name them what tempo you want them to be, then at each point in the song, insert the pattern for the tempo you want that part to be.

Here's how you set up those patterns to change the tempo, it's quite easy actually.

1. Set the tempo to what you want the tempo of this pattern to be.
  2. Right click on the tempo and choose "Copy Value".
  3. Right click on it again and this time choose "Edit Events"
  4. Now go to the drop down menu in the top right and choose Edit>Insert Controller value, or just press Ctrl + I.

After that, then just insert each pattern at the beginning of it's section on the playlist and it should work fine.

Hope that helps you out a bit, good luck.

I think if you WANTED to do that, the best you could hope for is either A) Do it by ear and manually make another section of the song in a different Time sig, or B) make different sections of the song and put them together with Audacity or somethin'. You're right; because either way, it's a major hassle.

way i do it, i finish one part, then change the project's time sig, put the new patterns right where the ones with the old time sig end (might have to zoom in to get it right) and continue writing.

the bar divisions in the piano roll wont make sense in the end when you look at the project as a whole, but atleast they'll be correct while you're working on each part.

the thing is, it's still annoying enough to discourage me from doing it more often than not.

I don't know why the IL folks aren't doing anything about it. maybe they treasure FL's reputation as a hip hop/oontz machine...

'time sig changes? we don't want yer proggy wank in our sequencer!'

Maybe they're too cool for music theory. :(

FYI, if they're too cool for the music theory, they're too lame to be cool. :tomatoface: And they no longer have an excuse.

"We're cool like that!"

"No, you're really not..."

"... *cries like a baby*"