In Search of Samples

Meyichi

I am very new to remixing. Right now, all I have is the demo version of FL9 and a burning desire to remix. And I'm having trouble with figuring out where exactly I need to go next.

I was going through all my plugins today, looking for a good sound for a remix. And then I realized that while the default samples that come with FL Studio are nice and great, they are all very techno-esque.

I would like samples that aren't too synthy. Something that sounds decently like an actual instrument... A sample that is of an actual instrument would be good, but those are usually of dubious quality. And (here's the catch) it needs to be free. *insert the excuses of a poor, starving college student here*

I have looked at Zircon's mega-thread, but the scope of it is daunting...

Now, I throw myself on the mercy of the help & newbies forum. Do you know of some decent plugins to achieve non-synth remixing? Or am I asking for the impossible? Any advice would be helpful. Links would be very much appreciated, but I would also be grateful for search words. ("Non-synthy free samples" does not return what I want from Google)

So, can you point me in the right direction?

Soundfonts. Not awesome, but free. :D

Just google "guitar soundfont" or something and get a few of each (some of them will not be useful). You will have to add some effects to give them a bit more life, usually through filtering, eq and reverb. Velocity-sensitive parameters in the soundfont player of your choice are also useful.

Do you know of some decent plugins to achieve non-synth remixing? Or am I asking for the impossible?

Listening to a good portion of the remixes on this site would give the answer to the last question.

And yes, Soundfonts are your friend. Well, the kind of friend that has no other friends and follows you around and you just don't want him around. :tomatoface:

http://soundfonts.darkesword.com

my bro has some cool soundfonts here...

You can also try www.native-instruments.com, they have some cool non-synth samples.

Right now, all I have is the demo version of FL9 and a burning desire to remix. And I'm having trouble with figuring out where exactly I need to go next.
Samples is NOT the way to go. There's more to music than fancy samples... actually I don't think fancy samples will teach you ANYTHING about music.

Unless you already learned music theory (formal or informal) I don't suggest trying to remix with the thought that you'll be great if you have good samples... I have terrible samples, but I know some stuff about music theory so I can make them sound good.

AND BTW, you can't save any of your work if you have a demo version...

Samples is NOT the way to go. There's more to music than fancy samples... actually I don't think fancy samples will teach you ANYTHING about music.

Just fyi, soundfonts _are_ samples. The difference is that a soundfont can contain multiple samples mapped over the keyboard (and possibly with different samples for different velocity, idunno), whilst a sample is just _one_ sample.

Everything from old trackers to QLSO and VSL are based on samples. :D

Also, neblix mentioned native instruments, most of what they make are commercial products, but their KORE Player is free. IIRC there was a free expansion for it, too, but I'm not sure.

There's a topic I made in Community that has a few free offerings, and I don't know how long they'll last with Christmas being over... there's a symphonic one, and a good amount of KORE/KONTAKT stuff as well. Should be helpful.

Also, aside from the very helpful link to DarkeSword's site (where i got a LOT of my stuff from), try looking up on Google Poprockband-233. Great Steel Guitar, fucking awesome drum kit, and the best Grand Piano soundfont I have heard out of all of them. Look for it.

Just fyi, soundfonts _are_ samples. The difference is that a soundfont can contain multiple samples mapped over the keyboard (and possibly with different samples for different velocity, idunno), whilst a sample is just _one_ sample.

Everything from old trackers to QLSO and VSL are based on samples. :D

Also, neblix mentioned native instruments, most of what they make are commercial products, but their KORE Player is free. IIRC there was a free expansion for it, too, but I'm not sure.

No, what I meant was...

He asked "Where should I go?"

Finding samples is not the next step. LEARNING MUSIC is the next step.

And when I said samples I meant high quality VST's. I don't consider soundfonts samples...

they are, just not in my own personal opinion.

• 2 weeks later...