Most underrated videogame OST's

John Revoredo

Stellar Fire (Sega CD)- This game is so ignored, there are hardly any videos about it on YouTube (and one of them is busted). There are no links to it's soundtrack there either. Basically, it's a 3-D shmup of sorts that's rather mediocre (a 6/10), but the music is great. It feels a bit like a mix of metal, industrial, and electronica, with some songs being almost headbanging-worthy, and others that feel more like eerie soundscapes. Either way, it's a great soundtrack that never got a chance because of the game it was in.

Contact for the DS.

Man, that game's soundtrack was good and really set the mood well.

Then again, no one bought Contact, and thus, no one really knows about how good of an OST the game had. The island with the first dungeon on it, that tune is STILL stuck in my head years later.

I'd post examples, but considering how few people played Conact, there's no soundtrack postings on youtube, except for a few token tracks.

ESWAT (Megadrive/Genesis) had quite a nice soundtrack. I just LOVE the boss music! I hope someone will decide to remix this some day...

ESWAT - Stage 1

ESWAT - Stage 4

ESWAT - Ending

Gameboy platformer/rpg Gargoyle's Quest had some great music too. I especially liked the Overworld theme, but unfortunately I couldn't find the original version on Youtube.

NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams, the Wii sequel to the Saturn classic, wasn't that well received, but the soundtrack featured some real gems.

The European version of the mediocre Saturn game Shinobi X (aka Shinobi Legions) had a cool Yuzo Koshiro-esque soundtrack by Richard Jacques.

Lagoon and Brainlord!! Strange games (snes, just in case you didn't play them, which is verrrry possible), but always liked the soundtracks, and definitely think there would be some fun tracks to mix from both.

OgreBattle is another soundtrack that I think is underrated, doesn't have a ton of tracks but what it does have is very good.

I can't believe I forgot to mention this one in my previous post!

Wonderboy III: The Dragon's Trap is my all-time favorite Sega Master System game. Hell, it might even be my favorite 8-bit game, period!

And although the Master System's sound chip was pretty basic, I really liked the soundtrack from that special game.

I love this tune. To me, it sounds adventurous but somehow also a little sad/melancholic. This is one of the tunes that made me fall in love with video game music.

i probably mention these games anytime i'm asked, but secret of evermore, brave fencer musashi and need for speed iii are full of such ridiculously good nostalgia. maybe that's why they remain underrated and are almost cultish. some runner-ups for me would be breath of fire ii and iii's soundtracks, although both are solid as fux

OgreBattle is another soundtrack that I think is underrated, doesn't have a ton of tracks but what it does have is very good.

Was gonna post this. Ogre Battle 64 (which recycles most of the original's music) is probably my favorite soundtrack on the N64, and I'm a man who loves his N64-era music

Contact for the DS.

Man, that game's soundtrack was good and really set the mood well.

Then again, no one bought Contact, and thus, no one really knows about how good of an OST the game had. The island with the first dungeon on it, that tune is STILL stuck in my head years later.

I'd post examples, but considering how few people played Conact, there's no soundtrack postings on youtube, except for a few token tracks.

I'll second this and raise you three OSTs! Baten Kaitos was already mentioned, so I won't repeat it, except to post a few songs...

However, Star Fox Adventures, Klonoa: Door to Phantomile/Klonoa and Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil have some of the best soundtracks to be found.

StarFox...

Krazoa Palace: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u89Mi0-XVKs&feature=PlayList&p=E1FA479DBC60B084&index=11

DarkIce Mines: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cok8Le6lgP4&feature=PlayList&p=65B7AF372F928859&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=26

DarkIce Landing Strip:

and finally Shackled Snowhorn (night): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKf1Z-9_JXo&feature=PlayList&p=E1FA479DBC60B084&index=10

and Klonoa: Door to Phantomile...

Forlock Twist:

Baladium's Drive:

Mine of Lights:

and of course the Windmill Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDu3bRLTICg&feature=related

with Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil...

Make Believe:

The Sorrow Revives:

The King of Sorrow:

and his battle theme:

I've already requested a Remix of my favorite song, so here's a different one...and one of the best, Going to Lunatea:

Okay, that's enough of that. I might start gushing, and that's never attractive. ;)

Some Baten Kaitos songs, since the previous guy didn't list any with his post.

Condemnation of Darkness:

with Imperial Dynamics:

SaGa Frontier II has an incredible soundtrack, and I feel like it never gets any love (although I am excited because a SaGa Frontier II ReMix is in the To Be Posted post of the Judges' Decisions forum... and I am quite curious to know which project that one is falling under!). The music is really awesome and really fits the game's watercolor visual direction very well.

A couple cool tracks:

(battle music)

(main theme)

(a bunch of random songs from the game)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcW-eLlCzZk

SaGa Frontier II has an incredible soundtrack, and I feel like it never gets any love (although I am excited because a SaGa Frontier II ReMix is in the To Be Posted post of the Judges' Decisions forum... and I am quite curious to know which project that one is falling under!). The music is really awesome and really fits the game's watercolor visual direction very well.

Ok, this confused me for a second. I was thinking about Romancing Saga series for a second. There is some fantastic music there. Saitama Seisyu Heiki has a couple SICK remixes of some battle/boss tracks from the third installment.