OCR01958 - Sonic & Knuckles "Hidden Within"

djpretzel

Been listening to this one off of your homepage for a while, it's really one of my favorite piano mixes to come along in a while just because there's nothing pretentious or grand about it - it's a very down-to-earth, mellow arrangement that reminds me of Hetcenus' work from Project Chaos. This kind of arrangement gives me hope that I might be able to get some of my stuff up on the front page at some point in the future, because this is exactly like the kind of music I play :-)

Love it dude, congrats on getting posted FINALLY! :-D

I am not familiar with the source all that much, so from the standpoint of an outsider, this piece is very pretty, and it is an overall nice listen. DJP said it right that the timing is what really helps this out, with notes held, slower lines, etc. The dynamics aren't too varied, but they get the point across, and overall the writing is pretty fluid. Nice work.

I really like how this has a quasi-serious, thoughtful mood to this piece. Not quite emotionally or reminiscing-ly based, but simply highly thought provoking. Listing to this has made me feel oddly centered. I also like how fanciful the arrangement sounds and admittedly how liberal the arrangement is. It just feels like a breath of air to hear something as fresh and mellowly whimsical (especially after listening to some of the older remixes for a while, if you know what I mean. :razz:) Needless to say, this is an amazing debut mix. Congrats Xenon.

very beautiful piece, although it took a while before i knew what song it was, it wasnt until about the 3 min mark where i knew what the melody was, i think if you had of established this somewhere at the start of the track i would have liked it more but very well done! loved it keep it up!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I love how this piece flirts with the melodies from the source. It weaves in and out from the notes in the source and into your territory so beautifully. I feel teased whilst listening to this, you create a nice level of tension by sewing in the source and then not quite giving it to us. And it gets to an eventual point (3:07) where when you flow fully into the melody that I associate the Hidden Palace Zone with, it's a great catharsis! Job well done!!

At first, I was thinking I would have expected the higher notes panned more to the right, but realised that the way things are set up, it's as though I'm standing opposite you playing the piano. Well, what am trying to say is, the set-up makes it seem like I am before a personal performance (when I have my eyes closed), adding something more powerful to the arrangement.

This definitely holds a place on my playlist that I use to relax! Great listen!

• 10 months later...

This is lovely! You certainly know how to make Lava Reef awesome. Speaking of which, your 'Lava Passion' from Project Chaos is still my favorite version - in fact, it's one of my favorite VGM arrangements ever! I would love to see that submitted as a full OC ReMix...but until then, anyone who hasn't heard it, go check it out. It's like this, only with to-die-for saxophone playing.

• 7 months later...

Solo piano for a ReMix is simply gorgeous. That's all that really needs to be said. Anyone who has a taste for solo piano can be rewarded with performances like this one, no matter what the source, and I think Lava Reef 2/ Hidden Palace was an excellent choice here. The playing is magnificent, the production was great and I like the arrangement. Downloaded so damn fast......

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01958 - Sonic & Knuckles "Hidden Within"