New Challenge Approaching! Klonoa 2/Chrono Trigger

Remix Challenge

There is nothing 'special' about my requests...nothing at all. They are only different.

There are quite a few songs on this site that are remixes of not just one, but two or five or more songs--not always from the same game, or even game company. This challenge is of that sort.

The games are Chrono Trigger and Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil.

The songs are

, Magus' Theme, and Leorina's Theme 2.

A little background information on these characters, for those willing to listen...

magus2.jpg200px-Prophet.jpg

Magus is a character from Square's classic time-traveling RPG Chrono Trigger who also features on this website's rotating top-right-corner image. He's a powerful blue-haired wizard who many consider to be downright badass (myself included). His theme has been remixed quite often...

At one point in the game he travels back in time, and, knowing what happens in the near future, passes himself off as a prophet so he can do as he pleases.

To the player, his identity is obvious--to the characters, not so much. As a child he was thrown forward in time by a terrible accident involving the Big Bad and the destruction of his homeland. He spent the rest of his life trying to summon the Big Bad to his new time period in order to kill it and have revenge, but his plan backfired and he was thrown into the past, prior to the accident. (so Magus exists at the same time as his younger self)

His main theme is the same as his battle theme. He's just that cool. For those of you who haven't played Chrono Trigger...shame on you!

So, there's Magus, our False Prophet, now for Leorina...

Leorina-1.jpg

Baguji_image.jpg

Leorina is a Sky Pirate from Namco's Klonoa 2:Lunatea's Veil for the PS2. Klonoa: Door to Phantomile was recently re-released on the Wii under the name of simply 'Klonoa,' so awareness of these games might increase soon...which is good, because the music in these games is simply phenomenal!

Now, Leorina herself is the main antagonist for most of Klonoa 2. She's a crafty villain who will do anything to achieve her goal--including, conveniently enough, disguising herself as Baguji the Wise, Lunatea's resident prognosticator. She tricks the heroes into handing over the game's main plot devices, and later goes mad from the power and turns into a giant dragon monster.

Her theme is not the same as her boss theme.

Now, what do these characters have in common? Certainly not their looks...

Well, we've already seen that they've both disguised themselves as prophets, but that's the obvious comparison.

Both start out as the series' main antagonist, but play the games and you'll see there is more to them than meets the eye. Both are power-hungry and ruthless--Magus starts an entire war in order to gather the energy he needs to summon Lavos, and Leo leaves her priestess training and becomes the fearsome sky pirate Leorina in order to fill the world with sorrow, which has previously been sealed away.

...and yet, both of them can become protagonists. Magus never becomes a 'hero,' per se, but he does join the heroes' side if you let him (highly recommended), and taking his revenge on the main antagonist, the true Big Bad, and the original cause of his fury. Leorina recovers from her cursed state a changed person--though it's really not as simple as I make it sound--also assisting the heroes in taking out the Big Bad...well, actually sort of a Small Bad, but don't let his size fool you: the King of Sorrow is a powerhouse.

Thus end the long descriptions...

I am very fond of these songs...strings get me every time. So, the Challenge is: The heroes have gone through hell to get to this point, but they're about to be thrown a curve ball.

The False Prophets enter--two mysterious figures who have alternately helped and hindered them on their journey. Some dialogue happens--you know how it is--and then the disguises are cast aside. Who stands before the heroes now but their greatest enemies! Witty banter ensues--and then...!

Are Leorina and Magus going to do battle aginst the heroes in an epic face-off, or will they join the protagonists in taking down the true evil in this story? Or both?

You, as the Remixer, choose; once and for all, what side are they on?

The beginning of the song is an intro as they enter--and then reveal their disguises (The intros to their boss themes seem to me to work nicely for that). It's a giant rising action, leading to the climax, where Leorina and Magus decide to fight or join the heroes. There could even be an epic battle ending with the villains turning good after all (as is the case with Leorina in the game).

Go ahead...go crazy with this. Any style, any instruments...I have no preference. There are so many different outcomes to such a confrontation. The reactions of the heroes are unimportant--this song is about the Prophets!

And if you don't want to do that, well, do what ever you like! Even a soft jazz remix would be awesome. I post what I want to hear, but that is really not the point of these Challenges. I aim to inspire. If you look at this and all you think of is 'Hmm, I could do another Magus' theme mix...' then I've done my job. Even if you look at this and are inspired to remix something completely different...

If you don't feel like remixing these songs, fine.

If you want to remix these songs but don't feel like following the Challenge, that's also fine. I'd appreciate any remix, because I like these songs.

If you decide to remix these songs, please PM me when your mix is finished and/or accepted to the site. I'm sure it will be. :D