OCR02055 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages 'Past, Present, and Future Perfect'

Palpable

Too chippy? - palp

ReMixer name: ProtoDome

Email address: protodome@hotmail.co.uk

Userid: 25246

Name of game arranged: The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages

Name of song arranged: Overworld

Original Composer: Minako Adachi, Pure Sound Inc.

Original Sound Track:

So, this is a long shot I guess. Chiptunes aren’t exactly within the submission guidelines, but here’s hoping that this isn’t so chippy that it gets rejected. Basically this is my entry for the “Essence of Lime” Oracle of Ages Remix project and went down pretty well (so could you hold on to it until the album is done? That’s if it gets accepted that is). I thought, “oh screw it, I’ll submit it. After all that Halc/Cthonic chippy number got passed recently.” And so here we are.

It’s a pretty straightforward mix. Imagine Oracle of Ages duelling Megaman in a battlefield of 8-bit percussion and Zelda SFX, whilst a piano, a couple of pads and various drum kits try to form some kind of support to aid the bloodshed of the two great soundtracks colliding- that is what this song is. There’s all kinds of instruments in it actually- there’s an organ from Chrono Trigger, the MMX drum kit, a choir from some SNES game and the different leads span from NES, SNES and GB along with the percussion. Not to mention the analogue stuff, modern synths and drum kits. I’m really trying hard to justify why this isn’t straight forward chiptune- is it working? ^o^

Anyway, hope you enjoy it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Overworld

• 2 weeks later...

Not a straightforward call, but I'm typically in favor of expanding the scope of what we take when it doesn't scream out "reject me!". This doesn't scream out to me. It's chippy but the piano and drums give it a distinctive, updated sound. Pitch bends help too. I would have preferred to have more non-chip elements in the first half, but wasn't a dealbreaker. There's so much pep and detail packed into this little nugget, as if you're pushing the limit of the old classic soundcards. One could call it a true overclocked remix. :nicework:

YES

Like Palpable said, I would've LIKED to hear some other non-chiptune stuff thrown in for good measure. There's not a doubt in my mind it would widen the scope of the ReMix a bit and that you could pull it off. As it stands though, this is a terrific arrangement and the chiptunage is mixed with other stuff. Enough other stuff? After taking the arrangement into consideration I must say, yes, enough other stuff. Next time I suggest taking it a little further though :tomatoface:

YES(borderline)