Kaleidoscope Hill (Green Hill zone arrangement attempt)

Matt E. Waldman

http://mattinc.net/Sonic1Remix1.mp3

My take on Green Hill Zone from Sonic The Hedgehog. Please note that this is an early experiment. I'm trying to go for ambiance!

Feedback is appreciated!

Great production and definitely ambient but I'm missing that cute bass from the original. so you're not going to use original's chords?

• 5 weeks later...

I really like the sound you have going on, but I think it could use a few more layers to the sound. It might be cool to have the whole original - melody, harmony, drums, etc. all mixed in the background like the way you have the melody right now, so it's real peppy. And then keep the atmospheric, flowing kind of stuff that's in the foreground, maybe adding a few more textures there as well. So it's like really heavy atmosphere in the foreground and like a more peppy melody playing on like a distant speaker in the background. That's just an idea, though. I thought I'd bring it up because you're sort of going in that direction, and I think it could be really neat if you push what you have farther.

Also that effect you have at :56 and other places is interesting but I don't know how I feel about it. I think I like it, but maybe you could get some more momentum into those crescendos, like a little bit of percussion, so it doesn't just feel like you placed one sound effect there. That's up to you, though.

Anyway, I think this is really neat stuff and I hope you do more with it! Good luck!