OCR01961 - Ghosts'n Goblins (NES) "Ghosts'n Condoms"

djpretzel

Hehehehe... nice title :-P

Right off the bat, I was really captivated by the excellent bass work. This feels like classic Mazedude, nice mellow groove with a lot of subtle, nuanced instrumental qualities. Really cool mangling on some of the synths, as well!

Despite me not being familiar with more than 2 themes off the EP, I could tell that there was a lot of creativity involved and this seems like a perfect way of showcasing that. I'd never have guessed that it was such a short source tune unless you'd told me... I guess that is the premise of the album, huh? :-P

This one's funky, and it's kind of cool, but I have to say, it's got some strange stuff going on. Overall the entire track almost wobbles for lack of better word. I think I might be drunk in a carnival fun house. I'm not entirely sure if this is a good thing or not yet, I'll have to digest another few listens.

It's creative, weird, and cool, but I don't know if I like it or not.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Have to say I agree with DA here - There is a lot of rather cool and weird stuff going on that seems to both be a pro and a con of this remix.

Mazedude for me has always been "that experimental guy". You know, the guy that goes and does something a little out of the norm, whether its unusal sound choices, unusual compositional choices, or effects... he seems to utilize all these things here, and while some of it works and sounds really cool, some of it doesn't quite work for me.

However great production and a great funky groove are pluses :D

Regardless of if I agree with his stylistic choices or not, I can't deny that its an excellent piece work in terms of experimentation, much like his other 10 million remixes posted on ocr :P

I love the keyboard that comes in around 1:30, and the interesting samples that pop up once or twice in the mix (once early on and once again at 2:40, were they from G&G?), but what really ties this whole mix together for me is the excellent bass. It is super funky and persists through most of the track, and it takes the whole thing to another level. Was grooving with the bass the whole time 8)

This sounds so much like it should be a tune in Earthbound.

At first I thought I wasn't going to like the heavy beats but they kind of grew on me as the song went on. A good bass line is always a major hook for me though, and you really nailed it on this one. I kept laughing at the funky sounds as each one popped in and then segued to the next one. Great job on turning the short tune into something super creative and interesting.

• 11 months later...

Haha, Ghosts n' Goblins. Having heard how notoriously difficult it is - and even seeing an episode of GameCenter CX based ENTIRELY around that game - I can see how it could be a perfect fit for a jingle remix. :razz:

So this tiny 3-second jingle ended up being manipulated in terms of progression mostly within the pads, though it ended up showing added clarity at 0:40 for those needing more familiarity. Clearly a lot had been done with it; little samples in more obscured sections, brought down to half-speed in calmer sections, and even part of a classy synth solo at 1:25. In terms of feel it kind of feels similar to Shael Riley's "Wanka Factory" covering the exact same game; you got the make-out-like nature of it, the occasional orgasm (lol) and some strong chord work that amplify some what of a charismatic feeling to it - feels wrong, but in the end feels so right!

I've grown to be a good fan of Mazedude's work over the years and I often expect him to really work with the sources he has. Though, I can't help but think that some of the sounds feel somewhat dulled in texture for some reason; not saying that they put me off or anything, but it's just a strange observation after the amount of material I've heard from him already; I'd probably put it down more to adapting to the feel of the mix.

In any case, it's classy, well-arranged, sounds sexy (eh, what else can be described?) and is a very worthy arrangement for the Bad Dudes' EP. Keep up these remixes Mazedude :D

• 4 months later...

The title gave me a good laugh and a mental image I would care not to share. This ReMix is funky as hell and it just comes off as weird and crazy, which is pretty cool. I can get a haunting vibe out of it near the end. The moans weren't as good as they could have been, but they were out of the way enough to add to the song, rather than take away from it, so great job. Nice stuff.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01961 - Ghosts'n Goblins (NES) "Ghosts'n Condoms"