OCR01962 - Virtua Fighter 2 "Juunen Hayaindayou"

djpretzel

I epically hate you for remixing this while I had ideas brewing for it for the longest time. (alright, for only the VF1 version, but upon hearing this I have come to appreciate the VF2 version perhaps a little more).

No, I don't hate you. I've been listening to this off and on for a while - downloaded it from the album that you released. I think it's emotive, and you've combined two themes into a very pleasant and (i hate the idea of calling it formulaic but) reliably predictable (in a good way, I swear) - in that it meets my expectations in terms of structure without seeming jarring or just sorta pieced together, with a verse-chorus approach.

Wish the keys had more of a role during those synth lead moments, perhaps more counter-melody or embellishment to fill out the sound. Maybe I'm just going through a can't-have-enough-counterpoint phase - it'll pass. And the drums need to sound more epic. Like, 23.1% more epic.

Lo, ye OCR listener: digest this music, not what I say...eth.

I don't really need to say much here, do I? It's standard willrock! You know standard willrock is good. Standard willrock satisfies. Standard willrock has yet to disappoint me at all. And standard willrock applied liberally to VF-tunage is pretty awesome.

My usual compliments on your production and instrument choices. Keep it up!

Gotta love the 80's.... :)

This has some pretty fun synth work throughout, and I'll agree that the solo is some good stuff going on. Overall the track really sets that 'let's train until we can win the championship' feel to it, and somehow manages to get you pumped up even though it isn't all that fast paced or in your face. I would have liked a little more punch out of the melodies overall, but this still gets the job done. Cool stuff.

Love it. I had forgotten how cool VF sounded; I remember getting a free Saturn Sampler CD with tunes from VF, Daytona, Thunderhawk and the like on it at the time and playing it til my ears cried for joy, and this takes me back to those happy days when throwing around less polygons than the PS1 just didn't matter! I particularly enjoy the part where, about two thirds through, Vince DiCola and Daft Punk clearly broke in and made sweet, sweet love on your synthesiser. Made me want to man up, grow a mullet, and overcome nigh impossible odds! Woop!

This is a really cool track and I like the piano intro; It's mellow, melancholy, determined, and slightly sad. It really feels like an appropriate fighting theme. It conveys a attitude of "I'm having to fight you because I have to, not because I want to, and I will win."

For some reason though, this feels exceedingly drawn out...

Still though, I like this one a lot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This is easily the most overlooked of my remixes posted on ocr, which is a shame to me.

Is it the game choice? Is it the remix name? Or were people turned off by the vocal sample in the intro? Who knows, but some of you downloaded and liked it, which puts a smile on my face :)

Anyway, this was another mix showcasing my synth/rock style I started with my "Mountain Of Dreams" mix.

The rough draft of inspiration for this mix was listening to A-ha. Not going to say the song, otherwise you'll all cry out that i'm a plagiarizer. Probably ;)

That said, as far as this mix goes, I started to recycle old ideas from passed remixes and throwing them together, and didn't really expand here, which was a personal choice - I was happy with were I was at for the moment, but the judges started pushing me for more development - just check the decision thread ;)

SOOOOOOOOO - nothing new and exciting here, but that really wasn't the point. I wasn't trying to expand, I was just doing what I enjoyed here, and I'm glad you guys enjoyed it all the same :)

This is easily the most overlooked of my remixes posted on ocr, which is a shame to me.

Is it the game choice? Is it the remix name? Or were people turned off by the vocal sample in the intro? Who knows, but some of you downloaded and liked it, which puts a smile on my face :)

It is the game choice. This is my absolute favourite ReMix of yours. I think it just comes down to 'if it ain't Zelda, FF, or Mega Man', then anything gets overlooked. But man, Akira's theme is my favourite track from VF2 in the first place, and this very much sounds like a massive expansion on the original.

You should be goddamn proud of this mix :D

• 1 year later...

Dude, I could totally hear this in bloodsport or kickboxer or something of the like. And thank god for the voice sample in the beginning because I wouldn't be able to pronounce the title. Terrific work with the synth and drums, you got my love for 80's just a-going. Nice work, WillRock.

• 8 months later...

The next time OCRemix does a full update on their tracks and adds the next segment of torrents, the title of this remix needs to be edited.

I'm not sure if anyone else has pointed it out, but there are a couple mistakes with the romaji.

The translation I believe I'm supposed to be getting from the title is (something along the lines of) "10 years too early (so get on my level, sucka)."

In which case, the romaji, hiragana, and kanji should be written as such:

"Jyuunen Hayainda yo!" (spacing is subjective.)

じゅうねんはやいんだよ!

十年早いんだよ!

Ten, or "jyuu" is composed of hiragana "ji," small "yu," and "u," so the y can't be left out. Also, the "yo" at the end I believe is intended to be used for stating new information or information that one would not expect to be already known, in which case it would not include the long vowel with the extra "u."

Or perhaps everything I just said you already knew, and the spelling of the title was intentional.

Either way, it's a great mix.

the romaji, hiragana, and kanji should be written as such:

"Jyuunen Hayainda yo!" (spacing is subjective.)

I just looked it up, can't find there being a Y anywhere in juunen. according to the virtua fighter wiki, tv tropes and everything else, its spelt Juunen. If I type in jyuunen on google, it suggests a spelling change to juunen even. Obviously I can't really question you on this properly since I don't know the language so you could be right, but if you are i'm surprised the entire internet has got it spelt wrong :P

Spacing seems very subjective, TV Tropes for example spells it Juunen Hayainda da yo.

The most common spelling I can find seems to be Juu'nen Hayain da yo, with an apostrophe after the two u's but it doesn't seem to be there in all the spellings of it I can find.

Overall, massively subjective stuff here.

The u at the end seems to be a genuine mistake on my part doing a bit more research - could be changed I suppose if you want to be pedantic about the spelling, but it could be a mix quirk for you guys :P

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01962 - Virtua Fighter 2 "Juunen Hayaindayou"