EastWest Symphonic is giving away their orchestra for FREE! Limited time only!

EC2151

The funny part is that in 3 weeks OCR is going to have about 600 new Chrono Trigger remix submissions featuring the exact same orchestral samples. And it shall be funny and glorious indeed.

My goodness, that sounds indeed gloriously hilarious.

I just wanted to mess around with my own orchestral experiments (Mssr. Noveau Musique over here), but the thought finally dawned on me.

Oh lordy how I laughed.

As for errors, I did hear this:

I'm currently running Windows 7 64bit. But i tried the 64 bit version ( which crashed several times ). And i though, oh well try the 32 bit. But none of them work! I keep getting the same Error message: Error 1721. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this installation to complete could not run.

:( I really wanted to try it out.. Any help?

"Try Microsoft App Compatibility Kit and "lie" to the installation of EWQL that you have Win XP SP2."

Other than that, I hear it's been working swimmingly. Also, as for the reverb, even the install says "You might want to turn the reverb off for this" or something.

I still need to actually try this; I installed it myself but due to the holidays, haven't had access to it.

Meh, there wasn't as much as I expected... just some strings and brass, and a triangle and some chimey sounds.

That totals 12 instruments... I am disappointed. No percussion, either. xD

You gotta make the best with what you got, and you got it for free. Get creative and you can do some awesome shit with strings, brass and chimes.

Yea this is a sweet happy thing. I have 4 play libraries and they were NOT ready for mass release when I bought them but they have fixed all the issues I was having with it, and its very solid now. In the next few months they will have network support working so you can build a farm of audio processing machines to run massive libraries in play. It's good stuff and free is always awesome, especially christmas presents <3<3

http://www.blind-music.com :P

Meh, there wasn't as much as I expected... just some strings and brass, and a triangle and some chimey sounds.

That totals 12 instruments... I am disappointed. No percussion, either. xD

You forgot one part...

12 'free' instruments.

I've been needing a good brass sound anyway (squidfont's brass SUCKS a lot of the time. At least for trumpets.)

You forgot one part...

12 'free' instruments.

I've been needing a good brass sound anyway (squidfont's brass SUCKS a lot of the time. At least for trumpets.)

I'm not complaining that they didn't give more, I'm just complaining that they called it a "symphonic orchestra" when it's... uh... kinda... not? :tomatoface:

It's a joke, anyway. I've no need for any more, I have what I need (I have squidfont and synergigs which have good percussion and woodwinds...), so a big THANKS to EastWest for the strings and brass. :) Now all I need is a computer that can handle the samples...

You can do far better than squidfont with the full version of EWQLSO.

Silly soundfonts just aren't gonna give you the options you need to make your orchestral instruments sound realistic. That is, unless you REALLY know what you're doing. I applaud the man than can create a realistic sounding orchestra with squidfont, but I don't think it's possible, at least, not with an INSANE amount of tweaking.

Silly soundfonts just aren't gonna give you the options you need to make your orchestral instruments sound realistic. That is, unless you REALLY know what you're doing. I applaud the man than can create a realistic sounding orchestra with squidfont, but I don't think it's possible, at least, not with an INSANE amount of tweaking.

All of this is true, but if you know what you're doing, you can make it so no one can tell the difference between squidfont and EWQLSO.

My point is, you don't need to spend a thousand dollars EWQLSO Gold to get a realistic orchestra. It's NOT the only option. :/

I'm honestly not sure if it's even possible to make something like squidfont reach the capabilities of something like EWQLSO just because there's far less options for tweaking. The original recordings can make a difference too, but I'd have to compare both to make judgments on that.

The way I could see it being possible is if there's like, say, a bunch of VSTs out there that emulate the tweaking options of EWQLSO. Namely everything depicted here.

play_orchestra_screen_2.jpg

So MAYBE squidfont can do it, but it'd take a ton of tweaking.

I wish I knew for sure, actually. Has anyone here successfully performed such a task?

I'm honestly not sure if it's even possible to make something like squidfont reach the capabilities of something like EWQLSO just because there's far less options for tweaking. The original recordings can make a difference too, but I'd have to compare both to make judgments on that.

The way I could see it being possible is if there's like, say, a bunch of VSTs out there that emulate the tweaking options of EWQLSO. Namely everything depicted here.

So MAYBE squidfont can do it, but it'd take a ton of tweaking.

I wish I knew for sure, actually. Has anyone here successfully performed such a task?

You can do a lot of that kind of tweaking by automating MIDI CCs and effects in a sequencer or by loading the samples into something like Kontakt. Inferior samples can be made to sound really good with enough work, but it's a real pain. I expect the issue is that most of the people who are willing and knowledgeable enough to put that kind of effort into it are also willing to shell out the money for a pro library that will give better results with less effort. There are also certain things (sul ponticello, harmonics, mutes, round-robin samples, etc.) that you just cannot do unless you have the samples, and basic/free libraries don't have them.

Just for kicks, here's a very incomplete rendering of a Beethoven symphony (just the high strings, the horns, and the timpani of the opening) that I did with the Reason Orkester soundbank before I got VSL. Never finished it because it was a pain to program, although it would probably have been easier if I'd thought my patch setup through a little better before I started. And it doesn't sound as good as VSL despite the time it took.

I'm pretty sure Unknown uses all free samples (not sure which ones) for his orchestral pieces, and he's gotten those to sound pretty good. Please correct me if I'm wrong though.

I'm not really into sample libraries, especially orchestral ones, but for the price it's definitely a fun little collection to play with. So thanks for the heads up.

cheers.

Same here. I'm almost opposed on principle to expensive sample libraries, partially due to being a curmudgeon (because I feel like it encourages people to put less effort into the sound design of their mixes), partially because I'm poor, and partially just lack of RAM :(.

But yeah, downloading! I could always use some nicer free sounds.

Same here. I'm almost opposed on principle to expensive sample libraries, partially due to being a curmudgeon (because I feel like it encourages people to put less effort into the sound design of their mixes), partially because I'm poor, and partially just lack of RAM :(.

But yeah, downloading! I could always use some nicer free sounds.

I definitely see what you're saying there, and I suppose I agree with the principle, but it's been my experience that high quality sound libraries require just as much effort to get to sound good as free stuff. It's generally a myth that high end orchestra stuff sounds "just like a real orchestra!" right out of the box without good writing and especially good tweaking/mixing/mastering/fx.

it's been my experience that high quality sound libraries require just as much effort to get to sound good as free stuff

Your experiences are your own, but objectively I would say you're wrong.

My feelings are the same as Liz's though I would articulate them differently: You could buy an Access Virus but never touch the knobs and only use the factory sounds, you could buy a mastering suite with all the bells and whistles but only use the presets. Good artists will choose tools to execute their artistic vision, bad artists will choose an artistic vision executed by their tools.

In other words: blame the artists, not the tools. Blame T-Pain, don't blame AutoTune.

OCR is going to have about 600 new Chrono Trigger remix submissions featuring the exact same orchestral samples.

That already happened.

But in all seriousness, it would be a brilliant idea to organise an OCR album project which used nothing but company X's product and get company X to sponsor the effort.

cheers.