EastWest Symphonic is giving away their orchestra for FREE! Limited time only!

EC2151

I already have Colossus and was dissappointed with compatibility between Vista and Windows 7. Hope this doesn't do the same thing, or I'm forwarding the link and $600 Canadian worth of samples to my buddy's home studio with Win XP.

I myself am pretty disappoint with Colossus in general, but that makes me a hypocrite since I currently rely on it quite a bit.

Same here. I'm almost opposed on principle to expensive sample libraries, partially due to being a curmudgeon (because I feel like it encourages people to put less effort into the sound design of their mixes), partially because I'm poor, and partially just lack of RAM :(.

But yeah, downloading! I could always use some nicer free sounds.

I definitely see what you're saying there, and I suppose I agree with the principle, but it's been my experience that high quality sound libraries require just as much effort to get to sound good as free stuff. It's generally a myth that high end orchestra stuff sounds "just like a real orchestra!" right out of the box without good writing and especially good tweaking/mixing/mastering/fx.

Agreed 100%. I'm more responding to the "you HAVE to get this if you want a realistic sounding orchestra" stuff. To me, getting a realistic sounding orchestra is near impossible to do with whatever samples you have and not even what people are talking about most of the time they bring it up. The goal is to get something that sounds good, and sounds organic. Because unless what you've written is being played by humans, you're always creating the sort of idea or simulation of an orchestra anyway, not the real thing. So it's on you to provide all of the energy and inspiration and emotion to make things more feel more like they're supposed to feel.

I like the idea of being limited by what you have, I think it helps you find ways to exploit those limitations creatively. Having access to a billion free soundfonts and vst's and fx already makes me nervous and overwhelmed, so I don't really feel like I have a need to purchase more stuff 'cause I want to feel like I'm using what I have. If I have crappy sounds it adds another layer to what I'm doing because I start to experiment to find ways to navigate around that (e.g. process it differently, do more work with tweaking, or just change the sound to something with a similar timbre). Which is certainly limiting, but limitations are what help me do stuff in the end. If I didn't have those limitations, the stuff that I'd make would probably be a whole lot less interesting and mean less to me.

I think it depends on personal preference for what you go for, like what kind of music you want to make. Using free samples helps me a little bit creatively because it forces me to think of less conventional ways to do things so that's the reason I go for them, but that might change in the future.

I mostly don't want to feel like people think having high quality samples is an excuse to not think about vital stuff like sound design. But that has to do with people's attitudes towards the samples, not the actual samples themselves. I agree completely with what analoq says about not letting the tools alone shape the art.

Anyway, I'm still excited to download this stuff and I will be checking it out. And I don't want to derail the topic. But I think it is an interesting topic of discussion and it's worth talking about more in depth at some point.

This is embarassing, considering I made the damn topic, but as it stands, i'm very unsavvy when it comes to my as-of-now DAW of choice, FL.

Someone wanna key me in on how I get this darn thing onto there?

I know it has to do with VST plugins, but I'm not seeing them in the list on Channels, even though I installed them. I believe I am supposed to save the VSTs somewhere, but I do not know where.

Was there something I'm forgetting here?

I'm almost opposed on principle to expensive sample libraries, partially due to being a curmudgeon (because I feel like it encourages people to put less effort into the sound design of their mixes), partially because I'm poor, and partially just lack of RAM :(.

I used to be a hardcore budget man with music from 04-07, and i still sort of am with synths, because freewareland is just so vast when it comes to them that it's mostly enough for me.

When it came to samples of acoustic stuff though, i quickly changed my line of thought.

you can of course make wonderful music with 1 mb soundfonts. hell you can make awesome music with 0.5 second 8bit samples, and we all know enough examples of that.

But there's no way you can even come somewhat close to the vast options of, say, making sound with a cello, without a large pool of samples (disregarding physical modelling, we'll see about that).

exploring those different sounds without having the actual instrument is simply fun and can even spawn off entire songs, based on a sound you didn't have in your sf collection.

in short, i like doing a lot with little, but doing a lot with a lot is great too if you can manage the huge number of options. if you can envision how you want your music to sound, it doesn't really get easier with that at all. it might just sound more to your liking in the end.

the only thing i'm somewhat opposed to are loop-based construction sets and the like. you can get just as creative with those, but with the way those libraries are crafted it's usually clear that they're not really meant to be used very creatively.

anyway, i'll give the samples a try now, thanks for the heads up!

This is embarassing, considering I made the damn topic, but as it stands, i'm very unsavvy when it comes to my as-of-now DAW of choice, FL.

Someone wanna key me in on how I get this darn thing onto there?

I know it has to do with VST plugins, but I'm not seeing them in the list on Channels, even though I installed them. I believe I am supposed to save the VSTs somewhere, but I do not know where.

Was there something I'm forgetting here?

Could someone answer this? I'm lost as well, and searches have come up with nothing. I'm not seeing anything that I know how to load into FL.

Could someone answer this? I'm lost as well, and searches have come up with nothing. I'm not seeing anything that I know how to load into FL.

When the installer asks for you for a location to install the VST, find the FL 9 folder in Image Line folder in program files.

then go to plugins, then click VST and save it there. (If you already saved somewhere else, just copy the dll thingies into there.)

Then go to Channels in fruityloops and click "More..."

Then click refresh at bottom right corner of the window, and look for play_VST in the list. Check the box and close the window.

So I tried to install this, and a message from Windows 7 popped up asking me if I wanted to install "Pace Anti-Piracy". Not gonna lie, I definitely have some pirated EWQL stuff and I don't want it to be disabled or anything. Apparently this is also the emulated iLok driver that EWQLSO Free uses to run. Anyone know anything about this?

So I tried to install this, and a message from Windows 7 popped up asking me if I wanted to install "Pace Anti-Piracy". Not gonna lie, I definitely have some pirated EWQL stuff and I don't want it to be disabled or anything. Apparently this is also the emulated iLok driver that EWQLSO Free uses to run. Anyone know anything about this?

Why do you need this if you pirated EWQL? :P

It just pulls a little bit of samples (it's a sample of samples) from EWQLSO. (which you already have pirated, therefore you're downloading a free version of a fraction of pirated stuff you already have)

And if you don't download the driver from the PACE website you can't use free version.

What I'm saying is, why download the free version?

Hmm, this looks like a good opportunity to make a new version of my FL orchestral template. Already DL'd, gonna install later.
Oh yeah, that was a pretty cool template. I remember trying to recreate it in Sonar with some success. Earlier in this thread Luke was asking about getting a good sounding orchestra out of soundfonts/free samples. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't your template all free stuff, and wasn't a lot of it soundfonts, and didn't it sound awesome?

Why do you need this if you pirated EWQL? :P

It just pulls a little bit of samples (it's a sample of samples) from EWQLSO. (which you already have pirated, therefore you're downloading a free version of a fraction of pirated stuff you already have)

And if you don't download the driver from the PACE website you can't use free version.

What I'm saying is, why download the free version?

Because it uses the PLAY engine, and I want to try it [the engine] out, since I'm looking at buying Stormdrum 2.0. A couple OCR types told me that the PLAY engine is a disaster (but bLiNd mentioned that it's a lot better now). So I just want to see what's up. However, if there's some sneaky thing that the driver does since it's apparently some "anti-piracy" thing, then I want to know just so it doesn't screw up any of my current stuff.

Frustratingly enough, I'm still not being able to access this, despite downloading the whole darn thing.

I didn't think it'd be this difficult to get this working on my computer of all places.

No matter how many times I modify the install to save in either the VST or VSTi folder, refreshing the More Channels on FL doesn't bring them up.

Very annoying.

Is there a step I'm missing?

Here's what I do:

I go to part 1, and modify the installation

In a choice between RTAS plugin and EW Silver Library, I choose RTAS Plugin

In the location to save, I choose either Image Line's VST or VSTi folder. However, when I go to those folders, the Library is not there.

Anything I'm missing?

I don't remember having to make that choice, but RTAS is a Pro Tools format so that may be your issue.m You should definitely be installing the EW library, even if you install the RTAS with it.

Also, the library and the actual plugin may be installed in different folders. While I have the library on a different drive, the actual plugin filename is "play_VST_x64.dll". Search your computer for that file (or something similar if it's the 32 bit version) to see if it's been installed correctly.

Frustratingly enough, I'm still not being able to access this, despite downloading the whole darn thing.

I didn't think it'd be this difficult to get this working on my computer of all places.

No matter how many times I modify the install to save in either the VST or VSTi folder, refreshing the More Channels on FL doesn't bring them up.

Very annoying.

Is there a step I'm missing?

Here's what I do:

I go to part 1, and modify the installation

In the location to save, I choose either Image Line's VST or VSTi folder. However, when I go to those folders, the Library is not there.

Anything I'm missing?

On all the EWQL stuff I've used thus far, it doesn't copy the library over (would take too much effin' time!) and they have you manually move the library files to the location you want. When you go through the installation, you choose where the library is located. If the sounds aren't in your chosen folder then it won't work.

Also, this might be different in the PLAY engine, but there's a menu in each EWQL plugin where you can select the location of the library. Poke around and I bet you'll find it.

Thanks for sharing this man. I was just thinking about buying a full version of some metallic variety.

But I'm also planning on getting a new computer in a month or two. Does anyone know if this can be put on multiple computers or if it will allow me to wait until February before I install it?

If no to both I'll just have to put it on this comp and buy a copy for my next comp (or not if I decide it's not worth it).

There's no license key involved. It's just a bunch of files.

If you download it now you can install whenever you want... there's no time limit.

Oh yeah, that was a pretty cool template. I remember trying to recreate it in Sonar with some success. Earlier in this thread Luke was asking about getting a good sounding orchestra out of soundfonts/free samples. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't your template all free stuff, and wasn't a lot of it soundfonts, and didn't it sound awesome?

Yes, yes, and hopefully :)

There's some good quality patches with this orch pack here, I think there's huge potential in it. Just gotta figure out exactly how Play works first.