OCR01165 - Final Fantasy VIII "The Lost Horizon"

djpretzel

...why be hatin on the other remixes posted recently? I like them a bunch, although they all have their faults.

As for this one, I'm not sure if this is just me, but it seems like there is a complete absence of bass on the ambient sample (I'm not sure what it is). It is still a nice quaint song to listen to, although nothing jumps out to me as "THIS MIXER HAS UBER SKILLZ!!!" I felt it could've used some more interpretation on the remixer's part.

...why be hatin on the other remixes posted recently? I like them a bunch, although they all have their faults.

As for this one, I'm not sure if this is just me, but it seems like there is a complete absence of bass on the ambient sample (I'm not sure what it is). It is still a nice quaint song to listen to, although nothing jumps out to me as "THIS MIXER HAS UBER SKILLZ!!!" I felt it could've used some more interpretation on the remixer's part.

I know exactly what you mean, but the piano tends to fill that gap in some instances, not all though. Overall, pretty damn good remix, very soothing. GG

I don't think I've been particularly negative about anything I've commented on recently. I certainly didn't say I hated this piece: I said it sounds nice, which it does. But, while this piece sounds good I feel that it's working well inside its limits, playing it safe. There's nothing here that stands out and makes me want to hit the repeat button. If other people think it's great then that's wonderful. My comment is just one of many so I don't really see how it matters one way or t'other.

Different people respond to music in different ways. This is my honest reaction to the tune. I can't offer any more than that.

I think the big drawback that people are noticing about this remix is the lack of dramatic overtures. This is a nice ambient tune. It's really what this song was meant to be. Justice was done to the original.

One way this could improve is by taking out some of the promised dramatics. There are several points in the song where I could feel this great emotional set coming up, only to be dealt something calming and serene.

Now, I need to go watch an action movie.

I dunno.....while I think that this is a pretty decent mix, the first thing I thought when listening to this was "this sounds really similar to the piano version of this song" Either way, this song is still very pleasant to listen to better than the original. To me though, it sounds too much like the arranged piano version with some ambient tones over top of it.... I dunno, feels like i should just listen to the piano or orchestral versions instead.

Its ok. But I think the piano gets drowned out a little bit throught the piece. Also, I'm a big fan of the Piano Collections version of the song and I think it follows that a little too closely...the left hand piano is nearly identical for a lot of the song, and the right hand part is just reproduced in other insturments.

Only 9/10 stars on this one.

You know what, I'm gonna drop my review from vgmix in here, cuz I said it better before:

This is VERY nice. You use light percussion really nicely, and you really make this song ebb and swell. The arrangement is creative and interesting. Around 2:40 is my favorite part with a bunch of really interesting moody chords (that's what I liked about your other originals too).

Couple small things I would suggest: The piccolo needs some reverb or something. It kinda sticks out a bit and sounds a bit fakey compared to the rest of the mix. The piano maybe could use some brightening up with a little upping of the high freqs. Though maybe a more mellow sound was what you were going for.

This mix is like, REALLY good. Everyone should check it out. I look forward to more.

I have to admit that this remix is what finally encouraged me to stop lurking and join the forums. I really want to congratulate destructo on creating a superb remix that even my brother likes, although he's heard it many times by now :)

The style of the piece is beautiful, incorperating all the aspects of the original while adapting to a lovely new style. I now feel content to sneer on the original :x . The subtle changes throughout the piece take away the monotony of the original, and the interactions between the instruments work very well :)

Again, well done . 10 thumbs up:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

This has some sort of asian touch to it, may be because of "A hooray in the Eastern Horizon" and this is Lost Horizon, but that marimba around halfway, that chinese flute, and those beautiful strings, made it real foreign sounding, classical style, resulting in a one calm mix. For being named as destructo, this mix surely shows that what´s the inside that counts. Or maybe not, who knows? All I knows is that this is a great mix, and I asking everybuddy else to downoad it and enjoy.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01165 - Final Fantasy VIII "The Lost Horizon"