OCR01165 - Final Fantasy VIII "The Lost Horizon"

djpretzel

Definitely a good remix. There's definitely an asian feel to the whole thing, but it's not overwhelmingly obvious. The gentle percussion keeps the whole mix moving, and blends perfectly with the rest. The background violin gives the melody a solid base to sit on, as well.

But, the part of this mix that really strikes me is the piano line. The warm, dark tone . . . I just love it.

Overall, this mix is a great one to listen to. The underplayed Asian tone definitely gives the mix a unique, distant feel. But at the same time, it feels so familiar. It's very accessible. Anyone can sit down and listen to it, and enjoy it.

Very subtle. Very relaxing. Very nice.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

This is a gentle but by no means second-rate exploration of a theme that proves that you don't need ballsy, big sounds to pull off an adequate mix. It is a little quiet for my tastes, but volume be damned, there's plenty of good here.

The woodwind is pretty and lends it an Eastern vibe, while the piano is especially resonant. Everything sounds great throughout and flows between ambient transitions seamlessly.

It's definately a little mix, but it still has all the variation and arrangement ideas you'd want to hear in a full, orchestral rendition.

Good to see music that isn't afraid to be small on the site.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I remember this opening well, and I know i've had this track on my playlist for years, but I never would have guessed FF8 without reading it. The opening starts out lush, but that little panflute sample isn't really pulling it's weight. The piano also seems a little thin, but the mood set by the subtle pad and strings combo is great, really serene.

Not a perfect mix, but very enjoyable and charming. I really like this one. :-)

I like how the strings gradually increase and decrease in volume, leaving the piano in the background in various states of loudness. It's a subtle, unassuming effect that really made the intro for me :-)

The piano writing is smart and the rest of the instruments, while they're not high-quality powerhouse samples, get the job done. Later in the mix the arpeggios start reminding me of "Frame of Mind," which I'm pretty sure destructo was part of. I can definitely feel the similarities between those tracks.

I feel like pointing out, though, that the piano writing seems almost identical to the arranged version on the official FFVIII piano album. I don't know if it was intentionally the same or not, but I actually did a double take to make sure I wasn't listening to the official arranged version by accident :?

• 2 months later...

I have an Indian flute in the back of my room, and a whole host of Oriental instruments and types of things like that. I love flutes and such like it were back then, show casing the calm and quite lives of country folk. Whilst the piano changes the entire pace of this song I do like when it fades into the drawn out emotional sections.

When the piano finally does come back with the quick notes at 2:20ish. You feel doused in a world not of your own while you listen to this piece. Needless to say, that's why we all listen to music like this, yes?

8.75/10.00

(I'm not qualified to judge your work, this is how much -i- Enjoyed this song.)

• 6 months later...
  • 5 years later...

Looking back at the original, it seems like each instrument makes sure to put itself into a corner to make room for whatever instrument has the central focus.

In this remix, I get the feeling and mental imagery that each instrument is aware of the next, but does not feel inclined to resign itself into a corner. Rather, each sound presses on to create a full soundscape, a piece that has a beautiful flowing feeling to it.

Excellent work!  Thank you! :-D

Once again I find myself loving a remixed version of a FFVII or FFVIII song that I either disliked or had little impact on me...

10/10

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01165 - Final Fantasy VIII "The Lost Horizon"