Final Fantasy 13

Hyperion5182

It really sucks it's not a PS3 exclusive. Exclusive games are always optimized for the system they're on, really taking full advantage of the systems capabilities and graphics. It's going to still be good, but not as good as it could be. Doubtful is it that each respective version is optimized for their system.

aaaaaaaaaaand my interest in this game is dead. it's essentially a corridor-running game for 95% of it, with no exploration except for one very small area in a later chapter near the end.

seriously. an rpg. where you run from corridor to corridor. for 40 hours. WAT.

this game is already having the fastest return rate in Japan and the lowest resale value for an RPG in history. gj squeenix

I've pretty much had a blast with every Final Fantasy that I've played (III - XII) excepting IX, which I didn't bother to beat, and XI which I don't even consider part of the main series. FFX had the best story for me and FFXII had the best gameplay. It was just FUN to roam around and not have to micromanage the combat constantly.

Linearity doesn't really bother me. My favorite video game, The World Ends With You, was a linear experience and I thought it was fantastic. If the combat in FF13 is fun, the story is good, and the music delivers, I will have no complaints.

I actually am really excited for 13. And NOT JUST BECAUSE THERE IS A BLACK PROTAGONIST! :< (Okay, maybe that has something to do with it :) )

But I'm actually just mesmerized by the cut-scenes. I've read that the game is linear but I don't think that will bother me too much because I've also read that the battle system is a smorgasbord of ideas from previous FF's and that it works quite well.

tl;dr - Battle system looks hot. FF finally has a real black protagonist (Barret doesn't count.)

I actually am really excited for 13. And NOT JUST BECAUSE THERE IS A BLACK PROTAGONIST! :< (Okay, maybe that has something to do with it :) )

But I'm actually just mesmerized by the cut-scenes. I've read that the game is linear but I don't think that will bother me too much because I've also read that the battle system is a smorgasbord of ideas from previous FF's and that it works quite well.

tl;dr - Battle system looks hot. FF finally has a real black protagonist (Barret doesn't count.)

But no upgrades, exploration, towns, or NPCs? As much as I love FF, I wouldn't call this an RPG if it doesn't have those basic components of the genre.

I guess that could bother those who like traditional rpgs, but I don't lol. My favorite rpgs are tales of phantasia and symphonia both of which I like for their battle systems above all else. I really could never finish a final fantasy game before because I actually don't like the "exploration." It usually involved wandering around towns and talking to npcs, which I find boring.

Needless to say, I have rpg add and if the game is going to be 40 hours long, it better NOT have lots of sidequests and things to distract me from the main narrative. Time is precious.

Sounds like you guys got trolled? There are some varying opinions....

....yet exploration of new areas and continuation of the adventure remain compulsive.

Unsurprisingly for such a vast game, many different locations are visited featuring very different environments, and each is as meticulously detailed as the last.

our available translation being of inconsistent quality, deciphering the storyline would be just as demanding an exercise as completing the incredibly lengthy game itself.
Where Pulse’s fal’Cie lie is a densely cluttered series of gangways and steel work; a distinct contrast to the beauty of the exterior world or the striking ruins of Mount Yaschas.

http://www.electronictheatre.co.uk/index.php/articles/3743-electronic-theatre-import-review-final-fantasy-xiii

Dont give up hope yet.

To be honest i half expected the current way people seem to be talking over it.

40 hours is SHORT for Final Fantasy. Where as previous iterations could go 100+ hours.

I know how a lot of people feel about Day 1 DLC. But i think that's what the US will see. I cant believe the reaction people are hearing simply because its taking a full blu-ray disc and MULTIPLE DVD's for the 360 version. You can not do that for just 40 hours of content. I like everyone else plan to keep an eye on this but if i were you i'd start making sure extra was saved up for 360 live or however PSN does their stuff. Because its sounding more and more like the potential for DLC to be a near requirement for this game.

So far what I've heard, sans-spoilers is that it takes a few things from other FF's and sprinkles it in with some new stuff but it drip-feeds it to you for the first 10 hours. After that though I hear the battle system is a nice mix between FF12's awesome gambit system and the inclination to get the player more involved in the battle then 12. Also it has a "job" like switching system akin to FFX-2 called the Paradigm Shift which allows you to set gambits for your allies and switch between different types of gambit sets. A.K.A in battle switch from a Healer - Striker - Striker combo to Buffer - Striker - Debuffer

i found an excellent article that talked extensively about what's there and what's not there in FFXIII without getting teeth-gnashingly angry or fanboyishly happy over it. it's a good read, albeit long. skip the first few paragraphs until they talk about the guts of the game.

http://kotaku.com/5433455/final-fantasy-xiii-impressions-15-years-later-25-hours-in

basically, they've reduced the amount of non-storyline stuff to make it more linear (as in, doesn't take you out of the experience). take that as you will. i'm excited to see what it is. if it's honestly forty hours long and it's pure story, that's WAY more gameplay - as in, gameplay related to the storyline and not sidequest crap that gets tacked on - than have been in recent games.

i found an excellent article that talked extensively about what's there and what's not there in FFXIII without getting teeth-gnashingly angry or fanboyishly happy over it. it's a good read, albeit long. skip the first few paragraphs until they talk about the guts of the game.

http://kotaku.com/5433455/final-fantasy-xiii-impressions-15-years-later-25-hours-in

basically, they've reduced the amount of non-storyline stuff to make it more linear (as in, doesn't take you out of the experience). take that as you will. i'm excited to see what it is. if it's honestly forty hours long and it's pure story, that's WAY more gameplay - as in, gameplay related to the storyline and not sidequest crap that gets tacked on - than have been in recent games.

That 'sidequest crap' goes back to final fantasy six. And in some cases has been critical. 7 and 8 both Nine kinda but not as much 10 not at all. I loved some of that stuff but i agree if its pure story thats not a bad game at all. That sounds like its worth the money to me.

This is the review that I read and what I got most of my information from. I thought it was pretty good.

edit: except for the parts when the author decides to tell you about his personal problems. too much information.