OCRA-0001 - Super Metroid: Relics of the Chozo

Protricity

• 2 months later...

Something doesn't seem right. I was on http://smproject.ocremix.org/ looking for the album, and I downloaded it. However, while I was converting the album to .mp3 for my own purposes, I found an error with track 7, Unsettling Nature (Miniboss theme).

Maybe the file got corrupted somehow, I'm not completely sure. Just wanted to bring it to your attention.

By the way, great job on the album!

• 1 month later...

I'm posting for Ari - grab the full cover package including jpegs here: http://supertux.com/~aasulin/ROTC_Covers.rar

The final covers that weren't released are also included; direct links to them are:

http://supertux.com/~aasulin/rotc_front_final.jpg

http://supertux.com/~aasulin/rotc_back_final.jpg

Does anyone know why these covers weren't officially released? They are very good. 2 covers wouldn't have hurt anything, that's what the Hedgehog Heaven folks did.

I've never been an especial music buff before, but this project blew me aurally. Super Metroid had some great music to begin with, but after people like Protricity and Prophecy get ahold of it... This project is just so mesmerizing, so entrancing, that there's hardly anything I can say that would do it justice... And the album cover artwork (was that done by Rob Saunders too?) was as sweet as the music itself.

Everyone who worked on this did an excellent job; my condolences for the loss of Avien. ::bows head solemnly::

you know, if protricity is reading this, i have a question for you...what crazy time signature is your "escaping retribution" in?! I can't figure it out for the life of me.

and BTW, I agree, this project rawks. :)

EDIT: I figured out what it is...it's 5/8 for most of the song, but it switches for 6/8 for part of it and 7/8 for other parts. Very nice job, Protricity!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So.. now that Prot left ASU and has no more web space/deleted the site by accident/deleted the site because of his relationship with OCR, is anyone picking up something to fill in the gap? You could easily say that the torrent is an alternative method for new users to grab the project, but having a dead homepage is a bit unprofessional towards OCR..

So.. now that Prot left ASU and has no more web space/deleted the site by accident/deleted the site because of his relationship with OCR, is anyone picking up something to fill in the gap? You could easily say that the torrent is an alternative method for new users to grab the project, but having a dead homepage is a bit unprofessional towards OCR..

http://smproject.supertux.com

Yeah, dunno what was up with the orginal page being deleted but we'll link to the other instead.

Does anyone want to set up a torrent for .mp3 quality instead of just .wav and .ogg? I found it really inconvenient to have to download the huge .wav version and then use Winamp to turn them all into .mp3's so that I could keep them easily...

I'll seed if someone sets up the torrent for me (I don't know how, unfortunately).

I have to say I grabbed this way back when it first popped out and loved it ever since, but because of a freak computer accident(small children and the 'Delete' button) I no longer have it and I am grabbing it again. I would also like to point out that friends of mine who didn't know it was music originally from a video game loved the collection. I can't praise this enough. I am of the nintendo generation and Metroid and LoZ have been my favorite games since I first bought my nintendo. All I need now is a LoZ project which if I remember in one of the forums it is already underway I can die a happy man.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Okay, time for some critique:

Pros:

- Track blending makes it very, very nice. I always try to blend my own CD's.

- Kickass tracks like Full of Life, Vast Inner Depths of Brinstar, Ebb Tide Manifest, Percieved by Cold Intelligence, and Escaping Retribution kick ass (yes, I said it twice, they're that good).

Cons:

- Tracks like Putting Down on Zebes (admittantly, not much source material to work with), A Change and a Passing, Metal Fatique, and Pyroclastica. Seriously, WTF? I've yet to see any music in any of Children of the Monkey Machine's works, try though I might to actually like them. It's like noise, made even worse by the fact that Protricity felt the need to imitate CotMM's style. These tracks, I think, really killed the project for me, to the point where I only listen to the last three tracks and various ones in between these listed; I can't stand listening to the half-noise tracks.

So, yeah. This project could have been so much better, but at this point I'm considering just replacing said tracks with virt's Crystal Flash and making an awesome Super Metroid CD.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just sign up a few moments ago just to say. I loved this album, it brings back great memories of my personally favorite game.

Great job and im looking forward for your guys next project!

EDIT: Just to let you know, I played super metroid again while listening to music. It brings a completely new theme to the whole game. It accually goes quite well. Just wished my cd drive would work so i could burn this cd :( .

• 1 month later...

I recently downloaded the project (in ogg format) and I've heard quite a few annoying clicks and pops so far. Mainly at the start of track #7 (Unsettling Nature). Is this intentional or not?

Also then there's track #8 that crackles alot when the bass reaches loud notes.

Am I the only one getting this?

I recently downloaded the project (in ogg format) and I've heard quite a few annoying clicks and pops so far. Mainly at the start of track #7 (Unsettling Nature). Is this intentional or not?

Also then there's track #8 that crackles alot when the bass reaches loud notes.

Am I the only one getting this?

http://smproject.ocremix.org/

Possibly the 'How to get rid of ogg vorbis playback static in winamp!!!' heading.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I never got a chance to listen to these as much as I wanted and probably never will because apparently itunes is never going to accept .ogg format. Would anyone be willing to re-render it as an mp3? Yeah, I know the sound quality would be ghey due to artifacting or whatever, but I'm more than happy to pay that price not to have to listen to it in winamp.

also apparently the project thread has been pruned unless I'm blind.

• 3 months later...