OCR01166 - Legend of the Mystical Ninja "From Ghosts Emerge Beasts"

There are ideas in this, but to be honest lo-fi is an understatement for this mix. The drums rival Retentions Of Conflict. It'd be nice if Eradicate could resubmit this in higher quality, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I expect this to get a lot of negative reviews because of the "poor" (read: not quite professional) mastering (and who the hell can consider production more important than arrangement/composition in the first place, anyway?) and the style in general, but as an avid fan of the crazier styles of metal out there I can say with confidence that this truly is a great song.

It's got a damned BLASTBEAT at 2:22. Tremolos from hell. Excessive (in a good way) cymbals and double bass work, using damn good samples. The only real flaw in this mix is the production, which as I noted isn't all that catastrophic of a flaw. Sure, it would be NICE if the guitars had a beefy, Nuclear Blast sound to them, but it would be NICE if I had a million dollars and a pony, too.

I'm so glad to finally see this peice on the main page. I always knew it would be there some day. Months ago, i heard this peice on the WIP board, and i've been in love with both this particular song, and Eradicate as well.

It was like a fairy tale of sorts, the original version of the song caught some criticism, but it was not defeated. Like the phoenix, it was reborn, and reborn again and again. This peice being accepted and posted is just the denoument to the fairy tale story.

I'm happy for you Eradicate, let me know when you have more peices in the work, i for one would be happy to hear them.

Good luck man.

-Whiteknight

This is interesting. Not exactly the style of music I normally listen to, but it definite is worth a listen. Like TCK said, this would be a lot nicer to listen to if it was higher quality, but all in all it's a solid piece ( a little weird though...but ain't nothin wrong with that).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, I came across the mp3s of the various wips there were of this on my hard drive and wondered what ever became of this song.....oh, duh, it slipped onto ocremix without me even noticing...doh!

Sorry, I'm late. I'm glad your song made it on. Great stuff. Good luck on Incal...incan...that one I can neither spell nor pronounce :wink: . And good luck on that as yet unnamed project you spoke of on Soundclick :D

-----edit:

Incalescence :lol:

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

To me its reminiscent of DragonForce and a bit of Slayer, which is a good thing. It's simply amazing, I almost wish it had some vocals go with the whole speed metal thing. Though like a others said, I wish the mastering were better, but the song itself is great.

• 8 months later...

Some pretty cool parts, but the production hurts, and im not diggin the hihat sound. It's way to piercing and doesn't seem to be meshing with the rest of the mix. Arrangement is pretty insane,and very creative. This would have been awesome recorded with real guitars. Overall some issues, but in the end, the arrangement wins me over.

• 2 years later...

This is interesting. It's fast paced, in your face (whoo unintentional rhyme), but sounds...fake. I have to say the qualities of the sounds overall are really bringing the track down for me. This isn't a genre I'm really a fan of either, so that doesn't help, but the artificial feeling is really unfortunate. Would be nice to hear this live sometime.

• 1 month later...

Why are there not tons (ie double digts) of Legend of the Mystical Ninja mixes on here?! Goemon and his crazy hair is more deserving than that. Obey or his spikey yo-yo of death will come and smite thee!

This was very cool. The distorted guitars were a good choice, if not a little unconvincing in the execution. If it's real, then it's a very synthetic distortion and very exact playing. To be fair, though, if they are sampled/synth guitars, then I give you kudos for such good execution that it made me question their authenticity a bit.

The backing strings could have been used a little better, in either case. So call me a fan of the arrangement and the idea, not so much of how it ended up. I'll echo what Deia said about how the artificialness of this really bogged me down.

• 2 years later...

Goemon! Yeah, after checking out Mystical Ninja via the Wii Shop Channel a couple of years ago it's one tricky game to get into but the tunes themselves did indeed feel pretty. Very appropriate title too, given that you had to defeat a ghost boss to free Kurobei pretty early on in the game.

To be fair it took me a while to realise that the guitars were actually fake (o_O) but even with that knowledge on, it's actually a pretty swift thrash take on the source, with plenty of variation and additional sweeps to cater towards the genre. Sure, the weak samples and articulation behind them may rub off a heck of a lot now, but the amount of detail placed towards the writing shows Eradicate's musicianship quite well. And that is some intense drum programming in particular; the double bass kicking, fast strum programming and blast beats were very intensely developed and the amount of detail placed towards thickening that and the rest of the instruments were of pure class. And it even went up a level for me at 4:20 with what seems to be a very handy way of handling acoustic strumming in a mix, with those kinds of hammered chords being represented rather beautifully.

It's a shame this wasn't recorded with live guitars as it would've really kicked up this excellent writing tenfold, but for now it's pretty brutal and neat, and should be a great draw to fans of the genre. Nice work :)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01166 - Legend of the Mystical Ninja "From Ghosts Emerge Beasts"