Christmas Loot Thread

Sinewav

I *finally* got a DS, and am in desperate need of some good game suggestions, a trip to metacritic and omg there are a lot of really good games for the system, I don't have a clue what to buy!

Only buy Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow. Ignore the other 2 for now. They're all good, but that one is absolutely standout.

Also: Contra 4 >_>, it's hard but fun.

Oh, and if you can find Super Mario 64 for cheap that game is <333, but I wouldn't pay anywhere near full price for it

I *finally* got a DS, and am in desperate need of some good game suggestions, a trip to metacritic and omg there are a lot of really good games for the system, I don't have a clue what to buy!

If you want something that will really showcase the touch-screen, go with Zelda: Spirit Tracks or Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. Both are phenomenal.

Lets see. I auto-looted:

-A Detroit Tiger's hoodie (secret Santa)

-A Detroit Tiger's snuggie (from mom :<)

-A little "Dad is a winner" plaque from my 5 year old shopping at school.

-A $25 Mc Donald gift card (from my boss)

-A nice looking long sleeve shirt (grand parents)

-A gift box with a new wallet and some grooming items (from GF parents)

Not bad as far as I go. I prefer practical gifts as it is. :)

OK Finally got my Christmas on, not a crazy year but got a few cool things:

Uncharted 2 (yaay)

Spirit Tracks (woohoo)

Apple magic Mouse (sexy)

5'x 7'collapsible greenscreen (cool!)

District 9 Blu Ray

Braveheart Blu Ray (fav movie of all time)

Contact Blu Ray

To Infinity and Beyond (Book about Pixar Studios)

The usual assorted clothes and such

and the very very best part:

Time to spend with friends and family. This has been the first holiday season in 15 years I haven't worked 55-65 hour weeks, and having some time to spend with people has been more of a blessing than I could ever imagine. It sucks not having $$ but I wouldn't trade the time I've spent for anything in the world. Good stuff...

I already put this in the Off Topic thread, but...

I get the feeling, the folks and friends got together and made themselves a little plan, as there was a distinct theme running through most of the things I received this year. As some of you know, I've gotten back into writing rather heavily the last few months. The people who bought my presents also know this, and they know that in two of the stories I've been working on (one short, one quite long), both have a main character I've been developing for some time that's a... well, see if you can guess...

Gave: Shirts, movies, nice pants, earrings.

Got: Dragon Age: Origins (PC), The Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning (PS2), The Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night (PS2), The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon (PS2), "The Book of the Dragon" by H. G. Ciruelo Cabral (holy shit... the illustrations... *drool*). And just for something different, Pink Floyd's "The Wall".

Oh yes, someone was planning. And what wonderful planning it was :-)

CDs:

Jamie Lidell - Jim

Nightmares on Wax - In A Space Outta Sound

Clark - Totems Flare

Prefuse 73 - The Frest of Oversensitivity

Bibio - Ambivalence Avenue

Bibio - The Apple and the Tooth

Radiohead - In Rainbows

Midnight Oil - Earth + Sun + Moon

Horrorshow - Inside Story

Hermitude - Threads

The Bug - London Zoo

Lukid - Foma

Coda - For Our Animal Friends

Vinyl:

Radiohead - Amnesiac

Misc:

Pair of black Converse

A few t-shirts

SATA DVD RW drive

As a "family gift" my dad bought a pair of Stanton turntables and a mixer. My mum was not impressed. I however, am pretty sure this is the best thing ever.

-Shure SM 57 microphone

-Mini boom mic stand

-Zelda: Spirit Tracks (w/ collector's edition player's guide that I probably won't even open)

-New Super Mario Bros. Wii

-The Art of the Pirates of the Caribbean

-Ocarina (as seen here)

-$25 iTunes gift card

-6 pairs of pants

-score to the concert band piece Rush by Sam Hazo

-some Dan Brown novel from my grandma which I have placed on my bookshelf and will not pick up again

-$$ from relatives and neighbors

got everything I wanted plus moar, so yay, although I found it pretty humorous that I mostly played Super Mario World on the Wii all day instead of NSMBW or Spirit Tracks.

I've always been curious how those things sound

is it as different from a traditional violin as an electric guitar is from a traditional guitar?

also what's the standard tuning for the strings, C G D A E?

When it's played without being plugged in, it sounds like a muted acoustic violin, since there's no body for the sound to vibrate. When it's plugged in it sounds like an amplified acoustic violin, and it works exactly the same as an electric guitar - you can plug it into an amp, run it through pedals, etc. I was messing around with it in logic last night with different effects, and some of the stuff you can do with it is pretty sweet. And yeah, the tuning is C G D A E. It's weird to play at first because the strings are much closer together, and I'm still bumping into other strings by accident every once in awhile. It's also sized like a violin, so the C string leaves something to be desired, and also, the C string is a bitch to get in tune. Most five strings violins have that problem though.

It's coming to MAGfest. Yay Xenotones! :-)

Elite Beat Agents!

If you like Tetris Attack, Planet Puzzle League is a no brainer.

There's also ports of older games like Yoshi's Island DS and Kirby Super Star Ultra.

I got the rest of my RA Salvatore book collection completed by my inlaws -- 3-5 of Cleric Quintet, and the Hunter's Blades Trilogy. Also got The Lost Symbol, $20 in Wii Points (hooray LostWinds -- unless someone here has a stronger recommendation for me), and other minor things (book light with book, loads of candy, 3 pairs pants, etc).

Oh, and my sister in-law (getting her master's in painting) painted me a BardicKnowledge illustration based on Doulifee's awesome forum sig to hang on my wall...which is completely badass. I had commissioned her to make a replacement cover art for my fightstick, and she made me a big 16x20 illustration that I can shrink down to fit the stick. I'll post pics of it when I get home to Minnesota. She also gave us a picture of the two daughters on their side of the family with their Mom, but it's not as cool :P

I got a ton of books this year and not a single game. Either way it was a good Christmas.

Three t-shirts: One black with velvet on it; a red shirt with some cool graphics on it; and a yellow Super Mario World shirt

Mario sleeping pants

Two pairs of boxers; one of dogs and the other of skulls

Black Dynamite soundtrack

Mystery Science Theater 3000: Volume XIV

The Falcon and the Snowman by Robert Lindsey

Calculating God by Robert J. Sawyer

Rollback by Robert J. Sawyer

JPod by Douglas Coupland

Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Friend by Christopher Moore (I actually got two copies though one sort of looks like a Bible. I'l be keeping that version)

The Golden Ratio by Mario Livio

Rules of Play: Game Design Fundamentals by Katie Salen and Eric Zimmerman

Zoe's Tale by John Scalzi

a head massager

a metal Monty Python and the Holy Grail Black Knight poster

$250 cash

Shirts/sexy underwear/socks

Toaster

Phone/iPod/stuff desk organizer

2 sweet lawn chairs

Painting from my grandpa, most precious

Parents took over a small loan of mine which cost me $100/month, holy shiiiiii