mega man 2 - air man dubstep remix

Jarski

Just finished Mega Man 2 remix, somekind of dubstep version of Air Man's stage. Thought that u wanna listen this. I prefer myself as amateur musician, so all comments are welcome.

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FINefcN9pPc

Let me know what you think :)

UPDATED: some mixing stuff redone, sounds so much better now.

http://jarskie.wippiespace.com/mp3/khoal_-_air_man_(mega_man_2_dubstep_rmx).mp3

Pretty sweet. However... where's the bass drop? Can never enough wub wub, in my book, but a bass drop a must. Speaking of an awesome bass drop, it would be cool if you switched up how rapidly the bass wobbles, like Nero does:

And maybe get it cleaner sounding, somehow. I also think it might actually suit the mix better if you upgrade the chiptune leads into some fatter synths. As far as arrangement goes, I think it's an awesome start, just work on the production. Just making the drums sound fatter too would go a long way. And add an intro with a bass drop. It would be more epic in my humble opinion :D

Pretty sweet. However... where's the bass drop? Can never enough wub wub, in my book, but a bass drop a must. Speaking of an awesome bass drop, it would be cool if you switched up how rapidly the bass wobbles, like Nero does:

And maybe get it cleaner sounding, somehow. I also think it might actually suit the mix better if you upgrade the chiptune leads into some fatter synths. As far as arrangement goes, I think it's an awesome start, just work on the production. Just making the drums sound fatter too would go a long way. And add an intro with a bass drop. It would be more epic in my humble opinion :D

Heh, I'm not good with bass drops, as you can see. :) wish I could do some nice bass drops.

I thought that I leave this song for awhile to my completed folder and when I get more skilled, I can finish this completely. :D

thx for the comments btw!

boyinaband.com has a good dubstep tutorial (their electrohouse tutorial has an example of a nice bass sound too). It is all done in Reason, though, so I am not sure how useful it is going to be for you. But you might wanna check it out anyways. If you looked at it already, ignore me.

All in all, I like your track. I actually like the chiptune synths. When chip-tune elements are presented against solid beats and a phat bass, they can provide the kind of contrast that can work. So definitely pimp your drums and phatten up the bass. I also agree with the comment about dropping the bass at some point. Good stuff!

I really like the groove and sound design of this mix, but I don't think it would pass our bar because so much of it is directly sampled from the source tune. Why not use your own synths instead of just sampling the main melodies from the original? We barely passed a Faxandu mix recently that was right on the border like this, but I wouldn't expect it to happen again.

• 2 months later...

i can hear those tb_peach sounds from a mile away :P

anyway, i love the idea of blending chip and dubstep, but the processing seems a little dry and the bass gets a bit muddy - i'd try throwing some stereo-spread on it to fill out the space and leave a little more breathing room for the chippy stuff. i agree that the arrangement is on the conservative side - play with the melodies a bit more or try to add some original counter-melodies or harmonies. not bad, keep it up!