OCR01167 - Streets of Rage "Drop and Roll"

What can I say that hasn't already been said? Awesome beat....wait, that's been said....Kick ass mix....wait, been said too....oh well, I love this. This gets the Smackahoe Tribe Seal of Apporval....oh, I don't have a seal....screw it. Just listen to the song. It rocks.

• 1 year later...

Heh, it's funny. After getting a new computer. Thought I'd download some old favourites like 'Airborne' and 'Waste Water Wipe Out'(clash of my two favourite artists). Then thought, hey, why didn't I ever download his previous works?

I did just that... And wow. Where have you been all my life? All his remixes are flawless in my opinion.

Any ways, I just wonder what happened to Tefnek after his last remix submitted?

• 5 months later...

Ugh, don't listen with headphones, please. Headache!!

As for the song itself, I always end up liking this, and then not liking it. Probably need to be in the right mood. But one thing's for certain is that I was really enjoying until the cool voice effect happens after the silence. Upon first listen, a year ago, hearing that voice effect, I said to myself, "This is awesome." But today I thought it was mixed too low or soft, or something else needed to be present, or a range filled, given the level of range throughout the rest of the song. Anyway, besides that, I mainly wanted to say the first 40 seconds or so are better than the rest, for whatever reason. Now excuse me while I listen to this some other day on speakers and not headphones so I can actually make a clear judgement on the rest of the song.

Really reminds me of when I burned a CD of all his originals and listened to that to and from work/school. Pretty...neutral experience. I like the concept quite a bit, but sometimes (more not than often) I get too overwhelmed. Something to stress, though the remixer is probably all too familiar with this, is to make sure huge samples aren't the only thing that sounds good; have worry later that something can be improved. Like with the bass in the first 40 seconds. It becomes the "voice effect" line, which becomes something else later. However, I think that bassline in conjunction with the percussion is what makes the first 40 seconds better than most other parts. As if some part is being left out. Go listen to tefnek's originals: para bellum and love song. the ending to love song especially has the most amount of things going on you'll ever hear, all while sounding insanely nice. Then go check out the rest of his songs.

• 1 year later...

Holy. Cheese. On. Rye.

The funk that comes in after the electro voice announces 'Stage. One.' is fantastic. I have loved this song since it came out, it tops out among my top ten songs. tefnec really nailed it on this song. I love the percussion, the beat, and..and...I just can't stress how incredible I find this song to be. Please download and groove.

• 1 year later...

Nice filtered intro really grabs your attention, and then the bass and drums are kickin'. They are almost a little overpowering, as there isn't much room for anything else, but this is a distinctly rhythm-heavy track. They drop out for a second after a pretty sweet break, and then it's back into cruising mode. Synths are good, but really the star of this is the drums. I'm glad they aren't on autopilot throughout, and there are some great processed stutters and breaks. The bass sounds a little cheap in places where it's exposed, but it's a minor detractor. This is good stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

This mix starts things out right by setting up the energy for the rest of the track and preparing the listener for the groove that comes next.

Normally I like my tracks to be atmospheric/emotive/evocative of something, but, while this isn't the case here, this has a nicely varied sound scape and gobs of grooviness.

This isn't exactly a groundbreaking or earth shattering track, but it is very, very good and worth a listen.

• 2 months later...

Wow, looking back, this was the first remix I had ever heard on this site. Now, while I just actually became a member, I have listened to music from oc since like 2002, so I know what goes on. But this song just started the addiction for me. My friends and I would just sit there on sunday afternoons just playing the crap outta streets of rage for the genesis, and this remix captures the energy and straight action of the game perfectly from start to finish. This may not be as crazy musical and emotional like some of the fantastic FFVII remixes, but it doesn't need to be. This is what this site is about: creating a new, updated version of the song that is very different, but still captures the energy of the game and what it feels like to play it. Great Job tefnek, I am a long time fan!

• 5 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01167 - Streets of Rage "Drop and Roll"